Migraines & Headaches Community
Sudden headache at base of skull on one side

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Hi -

I'm an 18 y/o female. I've been getting these headaches for a few years now. They occur randomly and without any linking factor, so far as I can tell. I have talked to my pediatrician about it before but she just told me to keep track of them because they occur so infrequently. I currently am experiencing one, and it's for the first time since this summer.

When the headache starts, it comes out of nowhere with a sharp stabbing pain right where my head meets my neck on the back lefthand side. The pain is intense but it fades fairly quickly (within a minute). However, for hours afterward, I'll get aftershocks, I guess that's the best way to describe it - it's in the same spot, same feeling, just less severe (still painful).

Like I said, I don't think there's a linking factor. I've gotten them before when I was stressed (NOT every time by any means) but today it happened while I was perfectly relaxed. They can strike any time of day, and I don't think food or weather is a factor either.

Any ideas? I've taken an excedrin migraine so far and it seems to be okay, but not great.

Thank you!
***Edited to add:

I don't smoke. I drink occasionally but that has never triggered the slightest headache.

I have a cold right now, so I'm taking amoxicillin and mucinex. I also take singulair and claritin for allergies.
I see this is a very old post and I don't know if you ever got a diagnosis.  I have had a similar issue for about 10-15 yrs, starting with light "spasms" and now they have increased to severe at times, but only lasting about a minute.  I have figured they must be a spasm of some sort due to my neck, and I have Cervical Stenosis now.  Sometimes I don't get any and sometimes i have had 14 in a morning.  When I get a lot of them, they are lighter, but once in awhile I will get one that drops me to the floor its so painful.  Trying to get a doctor to understand what it feels like is near impossible.  Most the pain is in the lower back skull when it hits and almost locks up my neck.  Just wondering if you have the same feelings.