Migraines & Headaches Community
Sudden severe nosebleed with headache

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Sudden severe nosebleed with headache

I am a 26 yearold female with no current health issues. However, several days ago I noticed blood in stool. The very same day I was driving down the road and suddenly my nose began to bleed. It lasted for about thirty minutes. The blood was flowing heavily and even started come from my mouth. During this time I spit up several large clots. I have no history of nosebleeds, so this incident was frightening. Several days before the nosebleed I had a severe headache. It has been 3 days since that incident. Today I had a strange headache on the right side of my head above my right eye. It lasted several hours, but after taking excederin it went away. However, when I arrived home from work around 630 pm, I had another nosebleed. This one was not nearly as bad as the first though. I am just curious as to what is causing this? Does it sound like something serious or am I just overthinking the incident because I've never had nosebleeds? I must say I have a history of migraines and seizures. However, I haven't had either in years. In my early teens up until I was 20, I had bad migraines and seizures/blackouts. At that time I was put on several meds such as depakote and topomax (topamax), but I no longer tame any type of medicine. I just wanted to know if this seems like something serious enough to visit the doctor...I don't have insurance so it will be pricey! So, I don't want to be overanalyzing and go for no reason!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Blood in the stool may signify bleeding in the gastrointestinal tract such as hemorrhoids and diverticulitis. Nosebleed or epistaxis and headache usually suggest blood pressure issues that warrants further evaluation by your doctor. Epistaxis may also be due to nasal issues such as polyps or dryness or even trauma.  If you have previous history of migraine and seizure, it is possible that this may also be related to it. If it recurs, it is best that you have this checked by your doctor for proper evaluation.  Blood pressure monitoring is highly recommended. Take care and do keep us posted.