Migraines & Headaches Community
Sudden throbbing headaches

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Sudden throbbing headaches

Hello there,

I have had 8 headaches over the past week and a half which start at the back of my head and pulsate to the top in throbbing waves which scare the heck out of me!  They seem to come on with excitement or temperature change or exertion that involves tensing up my neck muscles and then spasm or something.  The pain lasts for about 10 minutes usually and then "brews" at the back of my head leaving me feeling hung over, etc.  The last one that I had was the most severe and did not go away for the rest of the evening.  I went to the doctor and my bp is fine and I've had 3 massages to relax my neck which doesn't bring the headache on.  When I was a teenager, I had 2 migraines which involved auras and one side of my head whereas these are all over my head like it is exploding!  She gave me migraine medication to try and muscle relaxants which unfortunately didn't help and she ordered a CT scan, but its a while coming and I think that I'm having an aneurysm or a stroke!  

What are these and why am I getting them all of a sudden?  

Thank you
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? It is good that your BP was fine. Stroke presents with sudden symptoms of paralysis of arm/leg/one side of the body, slurred speech, confusion, and headache or dizziness. If there was no trauma to the head and neck, the throbbing pain could indeed be another migraine attack combine with tension or cluster headache. Combination headache is also common depending on the factors present like stress, exertion or temperature changes. If the medications did not work well, inform your doctor for possible change of medication. Try to avoid the triggers that you mentioned.  The CTscan would surely help with the diagnosis. Take care and do keep us posted.