Migraines & Headaches Community
Sweep, brush, whisking sound in head

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Sweep, brush, whisking sound in head

What would cause me to hear a kind of sweeping noise in my head?  It sounds like in my ears and the back of my head.  Weird, huh?  It sounds like someone is brushing off a very rough surface with a stiff brush or broom.  It is not hearing my pulse or heartbeen, not rythymic at all.  I've experienced this off and on for months, but lately it seems like I "hear" it every day, off and on throughout the day.  Have not been able to determine any trigger for it escept that it seems to abate (not go away) when I am still, and increase a little bit when I am active.  I have been having frequent headaches lately too.  That may or may not be tied to this noise I hear.  Any ideas about what this is, or what could cause it.  
Tags: sound in head, sweeping sound in head
It could be as simple as tinnitus, which is irritating but in itself not generally of concern. There is also a condition called Fibro Muscular Displasia where a bruit can be heard in veins and arteries. I have it in my internal carotids and vertebral arteries, but it's not of concern at this point. (I went and had a full vascular sonogram because I have daily chronic headaches and wanted to know if this was why. It wasn't.) If you are concerned, I'd seek out a vascular doctor. If you check the Internet you will think you are going to die tomorrow, so maybe don't do that without asking  your doctor first. My neurologist told me that any more it is not as rare as they think and if it's not very advanced, nothing needs to be done about it.