Migraines & Headaches Community
Temple sensitivity Left side

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Temple sensitivity Left side

Hi I am a 36 yr old male of good health. 3 months ago I had a strange sensation come over the back of my head which I felt originated from the left side of my neck. The sensation returned within minutes which made me feel as though I would pass out. After two further experiences days apart I went to the hospital were they performed most checks including a CT scan. all came back normal. I have taken muscle relaxants, anti inflammitrys etc but still have this headcahe pain on the left side constantly for around 8-9 weeks. This pain is always better in the morning and after a warm bath. Any exercise causes muscular pain in my neck and shoulder area and elevates the headache. I have also had MRI scans on both head and neck with revealed no abnormality. Blood tests are good apart from slightly high readings around the Liver. Just previously to the start of this I had an extremely hard poke to the eye and a shunt up the back of a go-kart.

My GP is running out of ideas
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Are there other symptoms present? It is good that the CT scan. MRI and blood tests were fine.  Headaches may be observed after injury or trauma to the head and neck following a concussion. This may also be due to exertion headaches which occur during or following physical exertion such as running, jumping, or sexual intercourse; and even passive exertion  like sneezing, coughing, or bowel movement.  Majority of these are related to migraine and cluster headaches. However, if it persists, check with your doctor for proper evaluation. Aside from prescription medications, biofeedback therapy may also help. Take care and do keep us posted.
Hi Rowenta,

Thank you for your reply.
I have had a second set of bloods done which are six weeks on from the previous set. These are still good and slightly better than last time. In repsect to any other symptons I would mention is the neck does stiffen if I have to sit on a car or train journey for longer than an hour. The pain on the lft side can be very dull at times but is sensitive to the slightest touch if I press on the sensitive area I get rebound pain for a short time.
I am loking at trying some alternative meds like Chinease accupuncture.
Hi Rowenta,

Forgot to mention I do tend to have hightened pain after the exertion you mention and even with facial movement such as swallowing and laughing the pain is mainly focused then at the top left hand side.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thank you for your updates.  With persisting exertion headache, you need to avoid some of the activities that triggers that headache to prevent recurrences. Complementary and alternative medicine such as acupuncture and biofeedback therapy may indeed help. Discuss this with your doctor for the best methods suited for you. Take care and regards.
Hi Rowena,

I have had a couple of advances since last update. First was That I attended a meeting to deliver a presentation. Within 20 minutes my neack and head pain was throbbing unbearably. I took some Ibufren and had to rest for 30 mins for it to go. Later that evening I went to the accupuncture where needles were placed on my shoulders neck and head. I have had pain in the neck and head areas since which I think may have been agravated by the accupuncture, especially on the head.

Thank you for your replies I do appreciate them.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? National Institutes of Health consensus panel states that adverse side effects of acupuncture are extremely low and often lower than conventional treatments. The pain could be from nerve injury during that time. But aside from acupuncture, there are other complementary and alternative medicine that you can try such as biofeedback therapy, where in you can control physiologic reactions of your body. Take care and hope to hear from you soon.
Again thanks for the response. I will see how the accupuncture goes then let you know. I do understand some of my issues are now anxiety related this may throw a different light on things.
hey
I have a migraine condition called "hermicrania continua" which is a one sided headache from neck to temple which created my anxiety. I am on celexa which is an anti dep and small dose of klonopin and i take indomethicin for when i get a headache. I suggest u see a headache specialist if your not already to try to diagnose what type of migraine it is. there are many types. hope this helps
anthony
was you diagnosis before you were on celexa and klonipin (klonopin)??  The reason I ask, is I've heard that celexa can cause some of those symptoms.