Migraines & Headaches Community
Throbbing Pain in Base of Skull

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Throbbing Pain in Base of Skull

For the last two months now I've had a throbbing pain on the right base of my skull, right by the occipital bone. It's always there. The only time I seem to forget about it, is when I'm at work (I'm a hairdresser). Sometimes it hurts really bad, to the point where I feel like I should go to the ER. I went to the doctor for it and all he had to say was "Well, I don't know what to tell you about your headaches". I suggested a CAT scan, and he told me to make an appointment for one. It ***** that I have to tell doc how to do his job. Anyhow, I'm 26, relatively active, eat healthy. I thought the pain might be tension, but muscle relaxers (Robaxin) didn't do much for me either.
Welcome to the forum!
Since you are a hair dresser you would need to keep you head bent or tilted at an angle during the job. This can cause throbbing pain at the base of skull. Either a chiropractor can help you or you would need to consult a neurologist. There is a chance of  pressure on the cervical spinal nerves.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!