Migraines & Headaches Community
Throbbing headache starts during bowel movement

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Lately I have been feeling a bit nauseus and sometimes after eating I feel as if I am going to be sick. So I go to the bathroom and do a bowel movement and in the meantime I get a severe throbbing pain from the back of my neck to the back of my head in such a way that I cannot talk or move.... as if I am having a stroke.

I find this to be very scary and I am now afraid to go to the bathroom or eat. Please help.
Avatar dr f tn
How are you? Throbbing headaches are usually associated with migraine headaches. This also presents with nausea, vomiting, and sensitivity to lights and sounds. Pain medications may help provide relief. But most importantly, a headache diary helps in determining the triggers and avoiding the attacks. Migraine attacks may be triggered by stress, lack of or too much sleep, hormone changes during the menstrual cycle, weather changes, food, alcohol or caffeine.If it is food, you may try eating in small frequent meals. I hope this helps. Take care and do keep us posted.
I have an ulcer and the only time this headache occurs is during a bowel movement. I am not straining because it is usually soft. Nausea is another symptom that I have for a few days while this happens. This is not something that occurs chronically. But lately it has been occuring more frequently than usual and I am wondering if it is from the ibuprofen that i take everyday or just the fact that my ulcer needs to be treated.

Mind you, I already have nerve damage in my neck in the same area where this occurs due to herniated discs. I thought it would be from that too but it only happens during a BM and ends when I am finished. The headache itself is scary. It feels as if I am having a stroke and cannot speak, scream, move or anything but breath. So I think this needs to be examined. I am sure you will agree.
Avatar dr f tn

I agree with you. With your medical history of ulcer and nerve damage, further evaluation is essential. A complete neurological examination and some tests will help determine the underlying cause. This is also to rule out medical conditions such as possible transient ischemic attacks or stroke.

Take care and do keep us posted.