Migraines & Headaches Community
Topamax- medicine question, numbing in fingers

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

The doctor prescribed topamax to me because i have been getting frequent headaches.  I have been taking 25mg at bed for the last 4 nights, tonight will be my 5th night. After 7 days I am supposed to increase the dose.  Today I started feeling numbing and tingling in my fingers.  I never have experienced this before and its been like this for 5 hours.  From what I read I think this is a side effect of topamax.  Should I stop using it tonight or should I continue with my 5th dose.  I dont know what to do.  Is it bad to experience a side effect?  Any advice?
When I took topamax I had the same side effect, it gets worse in the winter with the cold weather. What I found out is that topamax depletes the potassium in your body, If you like bananas eat one a day and if you are like me you can get an otc potassium you just need 1-2 a day and I would take them depending on how my hands and feet felt. It is better to just eat a banana unstead of taking supplements but otc potassium is inexpensive.
Good luck with the topamax and watch for kidney stones
wicki
I've been on Topamax for over a year now and it did that to me at first too, the numbness or tingling, mostly in my toes, I started out at 50mg. and now have been on 75mg, for 6 mos.  I will say for me, those side effects have gone away and personally the good out ways the bad, you see, I had a mild stroke from the migraine I had, I have hemiplegic migraines and to me it is worth a little discomfort rather than go through that again!   If it were me, I would not stop it, but that's my opinion.  Good Luck!
I have been on topamax for a couple of years. This past week I was able to go boogeyboarding and had a blast but every time I got out of the water I had this horrible pressure build on the sides of my head, face, neck and start traveling down my body. There was also intense tingling in my fingers and toes. Has anyone had this happen? I've been boogeyboarding for years but had to take 2 years off because of a hip replacement. Just trying to figure this out.

What dx did u have that u were RX'd the TOPAMAX?

It could be another issue all together like POTS....which is positional....I would suggest u see ur Dr and ask what could be going on...more testing is advised.

Good luck and do post an update : )