Migraines & Headaches Community
Topamax

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Topamax

I started taking Topamax about 5 weeks ago for migraines and its been working like a charm.  I have some minor side effects including dry mouth, itchiness, and weight loss, but other than that, its great.  I havent had one migraine or headache in weeks!!!  I started at 25mgs and I am supposed to increase to 100mgs however I havent gone over 50mgs at night because I feel like its working just fine.  In my opinion, if its working fine at 50mgs, why increase?  I have an appointment to see the dr for a follow up in a couple of weeks and plan on telling him that I havent increased the dosage.  I was just wondering if anyone out there is taking a 50mg dosage of Topamax and how they are responding to it.  Thanks!
Hi Jenn,
I just started topamax a week ago.  Tomorrow I start 50mgs.  Thanks for posting because I am a little worried about the side effects.  Sorry I can't answer you question, hopefully someone out here can.  Let me know what your doctor thinks.  Also, if you don't mind me asking, Do you feel fuzzy, like the reactions say you could?  I am glad to hear your headaches went away.  Keep me updated and thanks again
Dar
I have been taking Topamax for a few months now. Its work so good... I am finely free of daily migraines. My doctor told me about the weight lose and I need it. I do feel dizzy sometimes but there is a warning on the side of the bottle that says that might happen. But since I started I have been getting nose bleeds.... Have yall gotten any?
Hi Sarah,
I just got a nose bleed yesterday hmmm.   Thought it was because of the weather.  It may have been.  I let you know.  Thanks for posting.
Dar
I was on topamax for seven months and it worked so well that I called my doctor and told him that I felt like I had made a deal witht he devil.  He assured me that it was safe and so I kept taking it.  In April My whole life fell apart.  I had never been on any medicine for anything before and I had never had any problems with anxiety or depression.  topamax started giving me panic attacks and major anxiety.  My GP told me to get off of it immediately, but I had to wean down which was so hard.  The withdrawal is just as bad as the med.  I am now left a completely different person.  I am not on any meds except anaprox for the new and very different headaches I get and I am trying some holistic approaches to help the anxiety and now depression.  I am having a hard time forgiving myself for ever going on the topamax and I would hate to see anyone else go through what I did.  Please research the other side effects that they do not mention, like the fact that it can cause anxiety and depression.  If there is anything else you can go on that does not require a daily pill I would suggest that.  Ask your doc How long do I have to be on this?  What is the process of coming off the topamax?  What long term side effects could you suffer?  I guarentee you that they cannot anser those questions for you.  I asked questions, but not the right ones.  good luck.  Trust me it was the best seven months of my life.  things were going great and my quality of life was at an all time high, but the crash has changed me forever.  the lesson is that there is no miracle pill.  If it fells to good to be true it probably isn't.
greybantha
Hi Greybantha,
Thanks for your post.  Definitely things I want to ask the doc.  If you don't mind me asking What was your dosage?  I am suppose to go up to 100mg, but have decided to stay at 50mg until I see the Migraine specialist in Dec. I plan on asking about all my options.  Unfortuntely, I get seizure like symptoms (not siezures) that I have to find something that help either diet or maybe estrogen (they think it may be linked to estrogen flucation)  I hate being on meds.  So, what are you doing now? Thanks again.
Dar
I took Topomax (topamax) without any side effects but it also did not work for me.  I did have a friend who took Topomax (topamax) for her cluster headaches. She lost her vision after just a few low doses. Please be careful and watch your side effects carefully.
If your migraine is controlled with 50mg topomax (topamax) then i don't think there is any need to increase the dose.
As your migraine is controlled. Increasing the dose with only increase the chances of getting more side effects.

Please tell your doctor that you feel fine with the present dose. take care.
I was only ever on 50 mg.  I tried to go down to 25 mg when this started.  My doc had me take 25mg every other day and when the panic increased he had me go up to 50 mg .  I was yo yo'd and so you should be very careful when and if you want to come off.  Do it in half or quarter doses.  I started taking Migone from Native Remedies and Pure Calm.  These are helping.  I have also had to go to therapy to forgive myself for taking the med in the first place.  This has also helped the headaches.  It's been a long road but I think I am finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel  Good Luck to you.
I think topamax is a good drug for some people. I'm the same way.. ( why do drs like giving it so much) they started me on it 10/1 and i couldn't even get to the 50 mg mark. The side effects are crazy.. I had twitching, numbness, clumsiness and i was so forgetful.. and i was supposed to go up to 100 mg as well.. and cant. IF YOU ARE GETTING RELIEF WITH 50 MG .. DO NOT GO ANY HIGHER. IT MAKES NO SENSE TO.. PLUS THE HIGHER YOU GO THE MORE SIDE EFFECTS YOU COULD POSSIBLY HAVE.. THEN YOU MIGHT NOT GET ANY RELIEF FROM THE DRUG. I used to take it with depeecote. and it worked great before i had my son. however i can't get over the side effects.. I'm gonna try it one more time though. but def dont go higher if you don't need it. thats kinda like over medicating yourself. y aknow
I had a bad experience when trying to go up to 75 mgm/day.  Confusion.  I got lost while driving home and ended up in someone's yard and then backed into their tree while trying to leave!  I can laugh about it now, but not so funny at the time.  I have now cut back to 30 mgm/day and have been doing quite well at that.  At higher doses I had tingling of my hands, word finding problems, and general mental slowness.  Also an alteration in taste.  I lost about 20 pounds.  I have maybe 3 or 4 migraines a month now and they don't last long when I take my rescue drug (Maxalt).  I also take Verapamil 180 mgm twice a day.  I agree, it is better to take the lowest effective dose.
Hi everyone,
Thanks for everyones comments.  You guys and gals are great!!  I have decided to stay at 50mg and tell the doc it is working for me.  I have had a couple episodes (not too bad) but I can deal with that and I really don't want to end up in someone front lawn ha ha just kidding.  It is nice to know that others have chosen to stay at lower dosages.  I still get the tingling of my hands, but I am hoping that will go away.  Hope everyone doing great today.
Dar
Hi everyone.
I'm taking 100mg at night and have been since August (I can't remember which). I switched to it after Amitryptiline stopped doing anything for my headaches. Topamax has really decreased my migraines- from 5 or 6 a week to maybe 1 a week. I have experienced some side effects that have messed with my daily life though. I've entirely lost my word recall and have regular memory problems, like how I'm 3 months into the school year and I have to rely on a friend for my schedule or else I'm lost.  I twitch all the time on my left side(my arm, eye and neck twitch), as well. Anther thing I'm experiencing is bad anxiety, but I really do like the medication despite the side effects.
Does anyone know how long topamax withdrawal side effects last? I had to get off, rather quickly, because I developed tremor, was suicidal (tried 2x), violently angry, depressed, etc.

On topamax for migraines and panic disorder, 400mg/day for about 5 years. Been off 14 weeks: experiencing mood swings, anger "attacks", insomnia, tremor, hair loss, depression, hot flashes (didn't even have those during menopause!).

Though these are decreasing, I'm still experiencing them. They were worse last week after I'd been taking Evening Primrose Oil (Wikipedia says that's a no-no with topamax).

Does anyone know how long these withdrawal symptoms will last? I read that someone had them for seven weeks, but she didn't list her dose. Someone else posted that it took her two years to reduce her dose because of the increasing symptoms when she was trying to stop topamax.

Does anyone else know if there are any supplements which increase these bad side-effects, like flaxseed oil? Any information would be so very much appreciated.

Sometimes, because of the mood swings and the anger, I feel like I'm either losing my mind or have a brain tumor or something: which is exactly how I felt ON the topamax. When is this going to end?

Elizabetta
greybantha
I'm on day 3 of topomax (topamax) 25 mg.  I'm terrified of the side effects but I've had a severe headache/migraine every day for two years (after sinus surgery).  I would be interested to know if your April problems started after an increase in doasage?Thanks, 37764