Migraines & Headaches Community
Veins on sides of my head...

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Veins on sides of my head...

Well Ive had these veins in the sides of my head for about 4 years, I used to get alot of headaches and i was stressed alot, i still do get headaches, but 4 years ago these veins just popped up on the sides of my head and now they're affecting my social life, as they are unsightly and bulging out, they also pulsate and look like worms crawling up my temples. If I do physical activities they become more prominent. This may be normal, as ive seen other people with veins in their heads after playing alot of sport for example. However mine are visible and prominent ALL THE TIME. I don't know what to do, I heard laser treatment can help, but has anyone got these, and how can I make them dissapear...

Thx.

Thanks for writing in.
Prominent veins are seen during stress or in people who are exceedingly thin or underweight.
In your case if none of these is applicable it is important to rule out temporal arteritis which causes thickening of the wall of temporal vein which leads to prominent veins.
As you rightly mentioned laser vein therapy is used. Nowadays new type of laser therapy is given EVLT (endo-venous laser therapy) which has shown good results. Take care!
OMG....i have this same problem!!!
i hate it so much....my friends and family dont seem to pay that much of attention to the veins tho...but i hate them! lol Everyday the first thing i think about is these veins on the side of my head and how bad are they going to show today. I live in california and there is constant hot weather...my veins just start to pulsate and show even more!

I am very skinny tho..so im guessing that mite be the main reason for them doing this.

Is there nothing that will minimize the appearance tho..like some kind of vitamin or something of the sort??

I can relate!  For the past few months I have been having viens apear on the sides of my forehead, temple area, which apear to some extent every day.

But I have also been going through extreme stress which i think clearly is the cause! But the facinating thing is that they seem to subside fully at times, even though they are quite prominant, appearing in the same places, for the most part.

What should I expect for a prognosis? As it is quite concerning!
I have the same problem. Ive been under emotional stress, and sometimes crying I noticed tham, but then they went away, and came back to show again after more stress got in my life. Now unfortunatly they became perminent, I still hope they will dissapear again. but for last 2 month they were there every day. I trully hate it.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? These can be facial spider veins or fine veins in the face and nose area become enlarged and darker in color. This may be caused by skin conditions like rosacea and is sometimes accompanied by acne breakouts. Although the cause of rosacea is unknown, triggers such as alcohol and spicy food consumption, chronic sun exposure, trauma, wrinkles, freckles and stress may play a role. Have this evaluated further to rule out rosacea and for proper management. Take care and best regards.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

In men, spider veins are usually the result of high pressure from veins cause adjoining superficial veins to stretch, enlarge, and change in color. These spider veins are usually darker and have larger diameters than the spider veins in women. It can be attributed to stress and if the underlying cause is gone, the veins may return to their original size. As I have mentioned earlier, these veins may also be due to chronic sun exposure as well as other forms of skin damage such as wrinkles, freckles, moles, and trauma. Take care and best regards.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Unfortunately, there are no creams or topical medicine that may remove these unsightly veins. If you can not avoid the underlying cause like stress or being thin, options like sclerotherapy or laser treatment may be considered. In sclerotherapy, an agent is injected to the vein. Talk to your doctor about this and a referral to a dermatologist may also help evaluate the extent. Take care and regards.
hi, in am 54 years now a mother 4 children.
for the last six months i been having  one side of my head num and painful up the nest. i always do massage and i feel better it is on and off. what is my problem and what is the cause. they not swollen.
Im only 14 years old and I already have these veins. It like super visible. My other classmates don't have these veins like mine. They always notice my veins on the side of my head. And they tell me that when I laugh, ot pops up even mooore. Ugh it's so annoying. Don't you think it's kinda early for me to have these veins? What do you call this vein thingy? I need heeelp!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Are there other symptoms present? Pain and numbness are often associated with neurological conditions that needs to be evaluated directly by a neurologist. It can be sue to a nerve compression, inflammation and even infection. Try also to identify the triggers for these symptoms to be able to avoid them. Taking vitamin B complex supplements may also help. However, it is best that you have this checked by your doctor for proper evalaution. Take care and do keep us posted.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Was there previous trauma to that part? Spider veins, as mentioned above,  are usually the result of high pressure from veins cause adjoining superficial veins to stretch, enlarge, and change in color. These veins may also be due to chronic sun exposure as well as other forms of skin damage such as wrinkles, freckles, moles, and trauma. Have this checked for proper evaluation. Direct clinical examination is important. Take care and best regards.
I ALSO HAVE THE SAME THING,AND MINE IS VERY VERY SERIOUS AND BULGING,WHICH IS NOTICEABLE EARLY IN THE MORNING TILL NIGHT,AND THIS STUFF IS VERY ANNOYING AS EVERYBODY I TALK TO,DO NOT LOOK AT MY FACE,BUT THEY LOOK DIRECTLY AT THE VEIN WHICH IS MOST ANNOYING.HOWEVER THERE SEEMS TO BE HOPE FOR ME AS I HAVE A FRIEND WHO ALSO HAD THIS SAME PROBLEM AND HE GOT SOLUTION TO IT,SO HE INTRODUCED MR TO THE STUFFS HE USED,I WILL START USING IT. I PRAY IT GOES,I WILL MAKE SURE I GIVE FEEDBACK AS IT GOES,HOWEVER YOU CAN CONTACT ME VIA E-MAIL ***@****