Migraines & Headaches Community
Vertigo? Silent Migraines? or ????

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Vertigo? Silent Migraines? or ????

I am a 47 year old female, not on any medications and have had no health problems.  I experienced a feeling of off-balance twice in one day but it passed quickly.  The next morning I had a feeling of the room spinning which passed in about 5 minutes.  Later that day I had another spell and went the the ER.  CAT scan and blood work normal - Antivert and Valium were perscribed.  I went to a neurologit - he wanted me to wait 14 days to see if it went away.  I have not had the spinning feeling since then.  I went to ENT - he did MRI (normal) and ENG (epley manuever was done) - due to eye surgery I had 40 years ago (straightening of eyes was born cross-eyed) he feels the ENG is not a test that gives precise information for me.  He feels a piece of the puzzle is still missing (maybe silent migraines) as I do not have headaches.  What would you suggest as I have been a very active person, run a business and need to find some answers.
Your experince sounds similar to mine.  I had years of short-lived dizzy spells.  I went to an ENT that was "perplexed" by the dizziness.

I also had terrible balance problems in the dark and a positive romberg.  I have no idea what this test is for, the results apparently don't mean much.  In the 'light' my balance was better--not much--I still relied heavily on vision for my balance.  Again the ENT did not know what to make of it.  He told me that I needed to work on my balance problems now because they would just get worse as I got older.  Not much help.

I have been diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome (none of the symptoms!!!) just abdominal pain which is relieved by prescription NSAIDS.  Been testing with a gastroenterologist for several years to figure this one out.

My teeth ached for years.  I looked for a dentist willing to pull my top teeth because they hurt so bad (my dad got top dentures when he was a senior in high school).  I was told that they do not pull healthy teeth anymore-and they all seemed proud of that fact.  But no one could tell me why they ached or do anything to stop the pain.  

Ear aches and sinuses were the same story.  Ears were fine,  ENT sent me to a dentist.  Dentist pulled wisdom teeth then sent me to an ENT.  I was on many diffferent sinus meds for years that did not help.

For the last three years I had a strange pinched nerve in my neck.  Night after night I woke up at about 3 am in terrible pain.  My right hand, arm, and shoulder would be a strange combination of tingly, numb, and in pain.  I could not use my right pinky.  My hand was so weak that I could not hold a water bottle, and very uncoordinated.  It was crippled and useless.  But I had full range of motion in my head, shoulder and neck.  I had to sit in a chair to sleep.  I was sent to weeks of chiro and physical therapy that did nothing to help.  this repeated itself 4 times in 2 years. Stopped seeing Dr about it because it did no good.

Then the shooting/stabbing eye pain started.  Again about 3 am.  Then for a couple of days terrible pressure and flashing lights.  All in my right eye.  I went to an eye doctor who came up with corneal abrasions that heal within minutes.  After seeing me for a third time he referred me to a neurologist.

None of the ENT's, Fam Dr's, dentists,gastro, or eye dr' sI went to ever asked about migraines.  I have had classic migraines for 20 years.  But was told then that they are just headaches and to take a couple Tylenol.

The neurologist said that all of the symptoms I have are part of the migraine syndrome.  I started daily migraine prevention meds and every one of the problems is either gone or very minimal.  Imatrex takes care of a flare of any of them (usually headach or abdo pain).

He also said that migraines change as we age (Yipee!).   Mine started as abdominal migraines as a child, changed to classic migraines with the dizzy spells in my 20's, the teeth/ears/sinus all hung around then too, added abdominal pain in mid thirties, strange nerve and eye stuff began around age 40.  Can't wait to see what the future holds!  At least now I know it is all part of the migraine though.