Migraines & Headaches Community
Very inhibiting daily migraines

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Very inhibiting daily migraines

I have daily migraines (the best diagnosis I have been given is acephalgic migraine) that have been increasing with intensity over the past 2 to 3 years. When they first began I noticed that fatty foods bought them on faster but as time went by it did not matter whether I ate well or not. Most of the time I get them daily but some times I can go a week without having one. When I experience them my vision, balance, short term memory, motor skills, ability to hear or understand people and reading skills are all affected. They range in severity and can make me extremely drowsy although they cause me no pain. I have been to several doctors and have been prescribed about 6 different medications (Inderal in varying doses, other beta blockers, anti-depressants). I have also been to a clinical neurologist who ordered a CT scan and an MRI. Neither showed anything wrong. He put it down to stress and even after I had changed my job and moved to a different part of the country he seemed disinterested and told the doctor I was seeing to prescribe me Endep. I did not take the medication as it seemed like a cop out from a disinterested doctor. I have also have my blood checked for cancer and got a negative result. The best way I can describe this migraine is like being under the influence of alcohol.

I've had enough of going from doctor to who keep telling me I'm depressed or stressed so I've decided to post this out to an online community. If you could help me in any way I would be very appreciative as I feel they are starting to take over my life.

Regards.
My first thought was a food allergy.  My aunt didn't used to have problems but several years ago developed an allergy to corn to where she would have a migraine every time she had corn products.  Since you said the diet didn't seem to matter now, I'm not sure that doing a elimination diet to find the cause would be helpful but it might.  The other thought was seizure activity.  For twenty years, I had absence seizures and a few grand mals.  I had brain surgery six years ago for this.  I no longer have those types of seizures but still have headaches seizures.  Basically, when I have seizure activity going on, I don't have the typical seizure now but I get a headache.  My mom is a teacher and has had at least one student who had headache seizures.  You might want to have an EEG done to check for seizure activity as a cause.
I have been electrocuted on a few occasions through work so maybe that could have something to do with it. But it's just the slow creeping onset that has me confused so I'm not sure if that could be it. Thanks anyway though, I think I will ask about that next time I visit a doctor.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Can you elaborate on the instances you were electrocuted? Electrical injuries may indeed be a possible cause of your headache.  The severity of injury is determined by several factors such as  the voltage, current intensity, types of current, the current pathway, the duration of exposure, the resistance of the tissues, contact surface, the extent of multisystem involvement, and the circumstances surrounding the incident.  Altered mental status is usually transient unless associated with significant head injury. This may result to confusion, agitation, amnesia, cognitive impairment, aphasia, headache, seizures, and even prolonged coma. Central and peripheral nervous systems symptoms may improve, but long-term disability is common. Take care and do keep us posted.
I have only been seriously electrocuted once and that was across my hand. I had small entry and exit wounds only the size of a pin head on my index finger and palm. It was 240 volts A/C and its possible there was about 1-15 amps in the circuit at the time (It really hurt by the way!). I think I was held to it for about a second or two but then thrown back. It was a direct contact with the electrical conductor and I think my hand made the path from active to neutral which is where the entry and exit wounds came from. I have also been electrocuted on a few other occasions but these were only "boots" as we call them in the industry. Just a very quick contact that makes you respect to electricity (obviously I didn't learn).