Migraines & Headaches Community
Vision goes black

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Vision goes black

My 15 year old has had her vision going black for a few seconds and then she's gets a very sharp pain across the front of her head.She also gets dizzy. This has been happening for almost a year. We have had blood work done, EKG,ECHO of the heart,She has wore heart monitors for 30 days.All this came back fine. I took her to see a Neurologist in Nashville at Vanderbilt and he said he didn't think it was anything to do with her brain because he couldn't see any pressure when he looked into her eyes and said that he saw no reason to do a cat scan or any other testing. I'm still worried. There has to be some reason that this is happening. Does anyone have any idea's?

Thanks.
Welcome to the forum!
You must take your daughter to an eye specialist and get a complete check up done. Also consult the neurologist regarding benign intracranial hypertension, which occurs due to increased CSF fluid. Increased pressure on the eye may not have come yet.
The other possibility is compression of the upper cervical spinal nerves. Anemia, low blood sugar can also cause headaches with dizziness.
It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage.  Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
we have been to eye speicalist that said everything was fine. I'll call the neurologist about the intracranial hypertenison. Should I stsrt checking her blood pressure on a regualr bases?
Yes, you can check her blood pressure on a regular basis. Though BIH will not present with high BP, a 15 year old can have high BP and this can cause problems. Also please test for anemia, low blood sugar and hypothyroidism.
The other possibilities are ocular migraine and retinal migraine. What she has is probably a visual aura of the actual migraines. The ocular symptoms can precede or accompany a migraine.
The other possibility is a retinal migraine. This can cause repeated episodes diminished vision or blindness. This may precede or accompany a headache.
Please discuss this too with the neurologist.

Thanks so much for help. I'll give her neurolgist a call.
This is happening to my brother as well, and he is 15. Did you find anything out about what this could be? Tonight it actually brought him to his knees, and he is already blind in one eye, and he said the pain usually occurs in his blind eye, but tonight it was in his good eye. He is also experiencing muscle weakness and pains throughout his body along with dizziness.
hi i have been expierencing the same thing headahces blackouts etc. the doctors couldnt figure out what was wrong either she could have mitral valve prolabse which is common i also have it there is medicine she can take but it wont help the pain.. it could also be a second valve which is also common i would find a electrologist doctor in ur town and he can do test to figure out whats wrong im actually going on the 17th i hope she will be okay i hope this information helped...