Migraines & Headaches Community
Visual Migraine

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Visual Migraine

Hi, I am a 21 year old male.  3 weeks and 2 days ago while taking finals exams and the day after my grandmother passed away I got a weird sensation in my head while I was taking a final where it felt as though I was going to pass out, I was dizzy and my vision was flashing.  I went to a doctor and was told I was having a migraine aura. Other symptoms I have had were heart palpitations, fatigue and trembling. The symptoms continued and I went to physician, eye doctor and a neurologist who all said I am having a visual migraine or a migraine variant. I had an MRI which came back normal and am having an EEG tomorrow.  The symptoms are minimized with prescribed xanax but have not gone away for now over 3 weeks.  The worst symptom is the vision flashing because it constant, persistent, and noticeable.  I also have costochrondritis, is there any way that can be connected to this? Mainly my question is, is it possible for a visual migraine to last this long or is this even a visual migraine? If it is what can I do to make it go away? Thanks for any help.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi Scott,
As mentioned from your other post, ocular migraines together with tension headache may be considered especially if the imaging tests done were normal and you have been  taking final exam and dealing with the recent loss of your grandmother. Continue with your medications and try to avoid the triggers  such as stress. There is a headache tracker here in the forum that may also help.  Take care always.