Migraines & Headaches Community
What does it mean when there is pain on the right side of your head?

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

What's going on when you have pain (but not quite a headache that you're aware of) on the right side of your head towards the top? It happened yesterday and again today it and it comes and goes. How concerned should I be about this?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi.

This may be musculoskeletal in origin. Another differential for one sided headaches is a migraine headache.

How old are you?

What triggers your headaches?
How would you describe your headaches?

Are these headaches sharp, dull, throbbing ?

How long do they last and how frequenlyt do they occur?

Migraine headaches are given as a diagnosis once other conditions which may have caused the headaches have been ruled out. Sinus headaches, ear and eye problems, and  spine problems to name a few, need to be assessed and excluded
.
The past two days I have had pains in the lower right hand side of my head, they are throbbing pains that seem to come and go. I've taken tylenol for them and they go away for a few minutes but always come back. I just recently had blood work done, and had my blood pressure checked. I'm young, 25, with a family history miles long. Heart attacks, strokes, diabetes. What is going on with me?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Was there a previous trauma to the head or neck? How was your blood test result? One-sided throbbing headaches usually indicates migraine. It is important that you identify the possible triggers that could be causing this. Over-the-counter pain relievers may help but may cause rebound headaches. There is a migraine tracker here in Medhelp that may help. If it persists, have this checked by your doctor for proper evaluation. Your medical history and direct clinical examination are essential. Take care and best regards.
No previous trauma, doctor saw my results and didnt seem concerned, he said to keep my next scheduled appointment which is for June. Head pain happened again today but only for a few minutes and I did not take any tylenol for it. Thank you for your help :)  
Avatar_dr_f_tn
It is good that there was no previous trauma. This highly suggests primary headaches such as migraine that I have mentioned above.identification of the trigger really helps in avoiding future  attacks. Take care always!
I have had a  dull throbbing headache on my right side of my head, Now today it is a little more painful than it has been. What would cause this. normally i get Migraines but they are on the left side. I talk excedrine migraine and if it doesnt work then with in 6-8 hours of it i take and imitrex 50 mg. Should i be worried?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Are there other symptom present? One-sided throbbing headaches usually suggest migraine headaches. If you have history of migraine headaches, then it is likely that this is also the cause. A journal headache may help identify the possible triggers that may be responsible. There is also a headache tracker in this forum that can help. Rest, ice pack, both abortive and preventive medications prescribed by your doctor may provide relief. To rule out other possible causes, further evaluation may need to be done.  Take care and do keep us posted.
Hi! I'm 12 and i have been getting throbbing headaches lately. it has occurred for 4 days so far and its getting worse. I haven't ever had a trauma. When ever i do moments with my head it hurts (like moving my head at a reasonable speed. The faster i shake my head the more it hurts.) My dad says its a lack of water but I'm not so sure. I have taken Advil but it only works for 4 hr. like the box says and i cant just keep on taking Advil every 4 hr. for who knows how long at this age. It hurts on the right side of my head about where your jaw is connected to your mouth.(the thing that moves when you chew). PLEASE HELP!!!! and respond quickly!
i have the top right side of my head hurting an it comes and goes but its a real sharp pain an idk if i should worry cuz i did have head trauma wen i was like 5yrs old....could this b bad??
i am 19 years old i have had trauma to the head when i was 16 years old. i have been getting the real sharp pains on the right corner of my head. i get this pains often. but at times it will last a minute or two but then sometime they last for an hour or two. i never take Tylenol or any type of pain medicine.. should i be concerned.. i have been getting these pains since the summer of 2011...what should i do?
hi i am 36 years old  and i used to have migren but not lately after when i turn 24 years old. lately I am having sharp headache ,on my right side just when I woke up , couple of time when i woke up at night time I found my self barely I can walk just like I am drunk , those symptom come and goes headache is recently happing a lot  ,and also some time when I am walking I am finding my self  losing  my balance walking towards to left side....and I excirse,drink lost of water eating healhty ( but on the other hand i have some experince in the past some heart problems ) nothing is diagnose what cause for ) i was having sleeping problesm (long hours) and TSH came normal but  only BUN/creatinine ratio 25H,LDL cholesterol calc 106H mg/dl looks little bit high I ma not sure if those test explaind any thing....

looking forward to answer soon thank you
hi im 11 and im having paing fromthe bottom right side of my kneck and its so irratating and it herts soo mcuh also the pain goes from the spot up to about above my eye. also my kneck seems to hert n im becoming really woried because i have medicens for iot but it lats for 7 hours and they always come back
I have a history of migraines I'm 18 year old female I always seem to get migraines on the right side temple and it hurts to be around light or sound it gets so bad I end up crying puking and running a high fever if I don't take Advil but Advil never gets rid of them
I need help with them thanks!
- Taylor Heddington .
I'm 25 and the other day I have this really sharp pain on the top my head. It got to the point where it was only on the right side but after the pain on the top of my head went away there's been pain on the right side of my face. My ear, my jaw, my throat(only on the right side) and my cheek bone. It hurts when I touch my face and even if I don't touch it, it's a constant pain that's occasionally sharp.
hi im 18 and i always have pain in my head left side. Sometimes it intensifies dont know why. I have recieved trauma when is was 8. should i be worried?
Hi Vanessa, I was told  that pain in the left of your head means that your doing something bad, is there any truth in that? because I've thought it was migraine related.

need to know.
ag
The lower back of my head on the right side has been hurting a lot lately & im not sure if ita lack of sleep or what . Now my neck has been hurting but that recently started but ialso always get tired .. im 15 by the way . I get nervous about this , what could it be ? Answer me please .
Im having pains in the right side of my head right above my temple its happened for the past 2 days and both were during the night the pain comes then leaves for 3-5 seconds then comes back should I be concerned or what should I do to get it to stop?
Hi. For the past few days. (about 5 going on ) I've been having headaches all around my head. Sometimes just my left uppers side and sometimes just my right side  and even just sharp pains. They come and go , like every 5-10 minutes. I really want to know what this mean. Im 13 and Im trying to see if it goes away by the end of the week.
Hi! I am 10 years old and I have been having a dull (and sometimes throbbing) headache on the top right side of my head for about 3 days now. It happens every now and then. I've been taking medicine but it only lasts for a while then it comes back. I've been coughing at night for a while too. Could that be the cause of it?
What does it mean if i have a pain on my upper left side of my head, it feels like that headband pain when you wear a headband and it leaves this really bad pain. when i push my finger on that spot it hurts. i also get these weird stomach problems where my stomach petrutes out like im pregnant and it hurts and no im pregnant and theres no chance that i might be. my doctor asked me that allready:) I'm only 16 and i dont know why these things are happening...!!!!!
I'm 25 years old. Usually when I am lying down and usually sitting on the computer. Also, I haven't been sleeping good lately. I usuallygo 24hrs w/o sleeping. They do throb, and then goes away. What do I need to do?
hey the lower right to my head hurt the reason my brother hit me on the side of my head do my head have a blood cult or what plz tell me and when i touch it it real like something is moveing and it hurts me please help me
hi.. i have this throbbing headache on the right side of my brain.. the pain is killing me.. it felt like my eye is going to pop out anytime.. i have Dextroscoliosis, we found about my Scoliosis year 2009 with 45 degree.. i was wondering if the throbbing pain of the rightside of my brain is related to my Dextroscoliosis. i hope you can help me.. thankyou
My name is Brandi I'm 24 yrs. old I've been having sharp pain in my head on the right side towards the front .The pain only last for about 5 seconds what does that mean?
I'm 18 and have had multiple concussions over the years. I have hit my head against a floor and what-not. But I am experiencing memory loss, confusion, and a feeling of exhaustion all of the time. And whenever I get headaches they are only on one side of my head and behind my eye. I have not had a concussion since last summer but now i'm feeling these symptoms. What could this possibly be?
I also have the same problem. I've been in 2 major car accidents had 2 major concussions one a grade 3 and the other a grade 2. Not to mention multiple minor concessions upon recovery because I am a very unlucky person. But I've developed sharp, incruciateing pains that force me to even blurt out. Why is this happening?
I am 12 years old.
They happen for no reason.
They hurt really bad.
I don't know why they happen.
They are sharp.
They happened today at school.
They happen once every day.
They have been happening for 3 weeks now.
I have a right sided headache that started from shoulder pain I have had these all the time but they get worse every time can someone give me a solution for this problem
My head its a sharp throbbing feeling I'm only 12 I haven't gone to the doctor yet my eyes always bothers me when i get it also then when I close my eyes I get a burning sensation about like 4-3 months ago I hit my self with a pipe on the treadmill do u think that can do to it also when I was 10 I fell and hit a metal pole I got black and blues and harmful bumps but I don't go to the hospital please help this throbbing sharpness
Im 12 the same thing happens to me
The trigger of the headache is anger
Its very sharp
They last about 3 seconds and they occur everyday.
Could my migraine headache be cause by a previous toothache?
Yeah G'day doc i got the same problem up in my head also with the right side having sharp pains that only last about 3 seconds in a period of 1 minuet. I'm 24 and i am an Alcoholic and cigarette smoker (I know not healthy choices at all) I am getting seen with mental heath because of my social anxiety and i have a small history with my family with mainly the elders with brain and heart problems ..These pains only happen when i either get really drunk or when i withdrawal and they do not last long at all i will get a quick pins and needle feeling in my brain then it goes away and then about 3hrs later this little **** pops up with a sharp stab pain then pisses off ..and it's only been 3 to 4 weeks since it started and i have been drinking for 6 years          
My pain is not a migraine. It's a sharp pain to the top of my head but on the right somewhere between the frontal lobe and the parietal. There's no warning, it's sharp and then it goes away after a few seconds.

It started yesterday and I got it 4 times during the day. Looking forward to any guidance I could get regarding the issue.
Good day Sir :) I just wanna ask why does my right face is hurting when I touch it (even when I just gently touching it?) and it feels like my right eye is volunteering to close itself? My right brain is also aching, if I'm gonna rate the pain from 1-10 as 10 is the highest it's 6, and the pain on my skin when I touch it is 6.5 I think it happened several times ago but I just ignored all of it.. Thank you so much, will wait for your prompt response..

Elone