Migraines & Headaches Community
What to do

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

What to do

I have an appointment end of March to follow up on a Complex Migrane (migraine) I had Mid Feb. So far every test has come back fine. I still seem to get minor headaches every couple of days, nothing serious that two tylenol doesnt cure, but this whole situation has caused me anxiety. I am working through this as well but wanted to see if anyone here has an answer for this:

Can Migranes (migraines) be caused by eye issues? I dont have any persay but do wear contacts which at time seem to irrate my eyes and cause headaches. I am awaiting new glasses which I plan to wear full time to see if this helps these minor headaches. Has anyone heard of this?

Also when seeing my neurologist what should I ask him about regarding the occurenece of another complex migrane (migraine). Is there anything I should take at onset of symptoms? Or should I simply sleep it off?
Avatar_dr_f_tn

How would you define your complex migraines?

What other symptom do you have aside from the headaches could have led to the diagnosis of a complex migraine?

Eye problems may lead to migraines however they may not fully explain other associated symptoms that come with complex migraines like weakness of extremities,slurring of speech and numbness  (do you have any of these?).

You may ask your neurologist regarding  the effect of these migraines on your quality of life. Discuss with him the role of preventive migraine therapy in alleviating your condition.

Do elaborate on what you mean by complex migraine.A complex migraine is a condition that requires close supervision and further evaluation by your physician.
I have had this happen only once about a month ago where I had numbness on my right side, incoherent speech, nausea and inability to perform requests of Drs. I was able to move my hands but when asked to raise hands I would do something else like move them side to side for example.

The ER treated me for a stroke but after all applicable tests this and a TIA were ruled out, leaving the diagnosis of complex migrane (migraine). I have had regular mild headaches since then, but nothing serious. I have developed anxiety since this point and am now on prozac to help me deal. I hope to work through that on my own, but still have so many unanswered questions about the headache that I am hoping to answer.

My question which I will ask at my follow up is what to do if I feel these symptoms again, numbness on the right side, and inability to speak in a coherent fashion. Do I simply lay down and wait this out, go to the ER? Is there something I could take to mitigate these? My headache during this was bad but not the worst headache I have ever had. I say that with the fact they gave me some form of pain med when I woke up from a nap in the hospital, after which all symptoms except headache were gone.

The total time of everything was about 7hrs.

Avatar_dr_f_tn

In the absence of any significant findings in your examinations, this may sound like a complex or basilar migraine. You may discuss with your physician the advantages of preventive migraine therapy in controlling your symptoms. As the attacks may be very discomforting, any onset of headache may require a close supervision of someone nearby. It is important to inform your family, friends or colleagues of your condition so they will be aware of what to do when you experience the migraines. Bring yourself to the nearest ER when bout of headaches associated with other symptoms are noted. I understand that this may not be practical to do each time however, it is important that you may be assessed readily as the symptoms may usually last for hours.

A cardiac assessment is also necessary. Your coagulation factors need to be assessed. Cognitive and behavioral therapy as well as other alternative forms of therapy like acupuncture and relaxation techniques will be able to help.
Vanessa,

Just curious to know if you have heard of parathyroid disease. My PCP did blood work again and although everything came back fine, my calcium had a reading of 10.1. THis is the second time, and after a little research I found parathyroid disease as possible explanation. The symptoms- headaches, tiredness, feeling of being off- all things I feel are still present.

I am also dealing now with anxiety which I am unsure if it is making me feel this way as well.

I want to make sure I ask the right questions of my PCP and Neurologist and curious to know if you think this parathyroid disease might be a cause of this feeling I have.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

I just want to clarify the calcium level that you have posted .Is this in mmol/l or in mg/dl?

Also, is this total calcium or ionized calcium?

Was serum albumin level also determined?

For elevated calcium levels,one may start thinking of parathyroid disease. Parathyroid problems may present with recurrent headaches. Most of the symptoms are quite nonspecific. Bone pains and bouts of memory problems and depression may be noted.

I suggest that you get a referral to an endocrinologist so you will be properly assessed along this line.