Migraines & Headaches Community
What's the difference in Fioricet and Imitrex?

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

What's the difference in Fioricet and Imitrex?  Are they the same class of drug?  My doctor is not sure if I have a migraine, even though I feel it is, and he gave me Elavil, to try to prevent attack's and for pain he gave me Barbutol which is the Fioricet for pain.  I'm reading that's for tension type headaches, although it took the pain away slightly, it was already back fast last night.  But since I took the Elavil last night I did not wake up with having a headache which is dull until the afternoon which it's the strongest.  So, that tells me it IS A MIGRAINE.  If I do get Imitrex, is that all I need, or do, would, I still take Elavil to prevent a migraine attack?  I don't think I like the Fioricet, I feel drunk.  I think this new set of Migraines, have been brought on by my thyroid, going from hyper, to hypo back to normal in 6 weeks.  IDK  I just need help.