Migraines & Headaches Community
Why dont gp's take headaches seriously?

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Why dont gp's take headaches seriously?

It seems to me if you haven't got something they can measure or see, they fob you off! Mine keep putting everything down to the fact I'm on anti depressants. I have just spent over £500 on botox to try to get rid of them. It appears that I'm one of the very low % of people that it doesn't work for. Something about your body producing proteins as an antibody.
Fellow migraine/headache suffers will know exactly how debilitating they are and how they can ruin your life. :-(  
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? What other symptoms are present and what other diagnostic tests were done in the past? I agree with you that headaches may indeed be very difficult to manage and I'm sorry to hear what you have been through with these headache attacks.  Seeking another doctor's opinion or referral to a specialist or neurologist may also help. It may not be easy and may take time to find a doctor that understands you well but hang on. Also, you can try other management such as complementary and alternative medicine- acupuncture or biofeedback therapy that have been proven helpful to some patients. Take care and do keep us posted.
Best advice I can give is find a better doctor. I've been through many myself with migraines for the last 25 years. Haven't even seen a good neuologist. Been to 5 though and each time it's here's a list of Meds for you to try I'll send it to your dr. Haha they are a joke. I've been through everything, Botox, massage, chiro, acupuncture, homeopath stuff, every preventative med they could come up with, an the crap about not wanting to give narcotics because of addiction potential, that's a complete load. If your living everyday of your life in pain then its not worth living. Better to have the addiction, cure the pain then deal with the addiction. My pain is still not resolved but I have been through the addiction and did manage to get free of it, on my own. But I'll tell you those 9 months of being pain free well te best of the last 25 years. Sounds like till you find a good doctor your in for a battle, keep fighting, you have the right to be pain free, or at the least live comfortable.
Best advice I can give is find a better doctor. I've been through many myself with migraines for the last 25 years. Haven't even seen a good neurologist. Been to 5 though and each time it's here's a list of Meds for you to try I'll send it to your dr. Haha they are a joke. I've been through everything, Botox, massage, chiro, acupuncture, homeopath stuff, every preventative med they could come up with, an the crap about not wanting to give narcotics because of addiction potential, that's a complete load. If your living everyday of your life in pain then its not worth living. Better to have the addiction, cure the pain then deal with the addiction. My pain is still not resolved but I have been through the addiction and did manage to get free of it, on my own. But I'll tell you those 9 months of being pain free well te best of the last 25 years. Sounds like till you find a good doctor your in for a battle, keep fighting, you have the right to be pain free, or at the least live comfortable.