Migraines & Headaches Community
Your experience with Pamelor And/Or Verapamil for Migraine

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

I have recently been diagnosed with Migraine Associated Vertigo - basically I have NO HEADACHE, but severe episodes of vertigo/dizziness/disequilibrium, slurred speech/trouble finding words, poor cognition/ slow thinking. I have been suffering with this for about 12 years and just recently (last 3 months) my episodes have become much more frequent and intense. In the past month I have had vertigo/dizziness almost every single day. I cannot drive, have missed several days of work, and even crashed my car.

The ENT I visited today has prescribed me Pamelor to treat my migraines (no headache). I have not started the meds yet because I am in the process of weaning my son from nursing.

Have you used Pamelor? How was your experience? Side effects?

If Pamelor doesn't work for me then he said he'll prescribe Verapamil... anyone take that for migraines?

Thanks for sharing your experience!!
Avatar n tn
I took Verapamil back in 2006. I had to discontinue use because it made me very disfunctional, in that I was chronically tired and I felt more dizzy and such. Just note, this is my experience, however, you might react differently to it. I took it for about 2-3 months, I couldnt stand it anymore.
Avatar dr f tn
How are you? Just like in the other post, I mentioned possible side effects of Pamelor or Nortriptyline HCl such as  palpitations, disorientation, restlessness, insomnia, numbness, tingling, tinnitus, rashes, nausea and vomiting. This varies from one person to another. Abrupt cessation of treatment, however,  after prolonged therapy may also produce withdrawal symptoms such as nausea, headache, and malaise. Take care and best regards.
I to have had dizzness going on 5 months now, doctors are giving me a headache. had a mri on brain and neck, no results yet. doc on wednesday. i go to chriopractor 3x a week, helping a little.. the dizzness is like going to hell and back...all they want to do is give me pills....please someone help me thanks .queenie