Migraines & Headaches Community
adenoids and migrines

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

adenoids and migrines

my 9 year old daughter is a 4 year cancer survivior( acute lymphoblastic leukemia). During her treatmetn she was diagnosed with migraines and also we discovered she has a cyst in the penial gland of her brain.  her migraines have gotten to be almost weekly and very strong so last week we had a mri of the brain with no contrast to see what was happening. we were told her cyst isthe same but her adenoids (adenoids) were infected and to see an ent asap...over the phone the ent said we may want to consider having them taken out but he will know more when he looks her over.....Is this common??? i have had migraines my whole life ( now age 40) and never had adenoids (adenoids) mentioned to me..ever.....

please advise??
Avatar_dr_f_tn

How is your daughter?

Tonsils and adenoids (adenoids) may be chronically  infected and may increase the risk for repeated sore throats, sinusitis, ear infections, difficulty swallowing and difficulty breathing since enlarged adenoids (adenoids) may block the air passages.Sinusitis, inflammation of the adenoids (adenoids) and ear infections may cause headaches that may be mistaken as a migraine.

Discuss your concerns with your child's physician so that proper assessment be done. Discuss with her the type of anesthesia that will be used, the risks involved and the general outcome of the procedure considering your child's medical history. It is important to have everything clear .

Continue to reassure your daughter and just stay strong for her. Your physicians after a thorough assessment should know that this procedure may be necessary.

Keep in touch.
as i stated my daughter is 91/2 years old and a cacner survivior...i was lloking for info on this relationship ..i dont understand why you wrote what you did..it just did not seem to answer any of my thoughts at all....
Avatar_dr_f_tn

I am sorry.I must have misunderstood your main concern.

The way I understand it you were asking regarding the adenoids (adenoids) and its relationship with migraines? Is this correct? You are also concerned on why the ENT was considering removing  the adenoids (adenoids)?

Do please enlighten me on this.
I had my tonsils out at 17. I constantly had strep and other infecions related with the tonsils and ears. I asumed when I had my tonsils out that the dr would take out my adenoids (adenoids) too (even the information packets given to me before and after the procedure mentioned that they are usually taken out simultaineously). I since then I havent had strep or any other throat  or ear infectionnifection, however, I have been suffering with constant migrains. Four years after my tonsils out I got extreamly sick while on winter vacation. My migrains began reccuring 3-5 times a week and it too me about a month to get better on my own. about 9 monthes after my winter vacation sickness I found myself sick with what appeared to be th same thing all over again. I went to the doctor 4 times before I was sent to a ent specialit.The specialist said they were the biggest he has ever seen. My adenoids (adenoids) are completly blocking my nasal passage and can be seen hanging down behind my uvula. I completed xrays and ct scans and the dr said my adenoids (adenoids) needed to be removed. I needed to have the surgery done before dec 31 because I had met my maximum out of pocket for the year. The first ent specialist didnt have time so he sent me to another specialist. The second one seems very nice and willing to work with me about the short time frame (I needed to have the surgery done 22 days from the first appointment I had with the second ent) The second ent sent me to get 2 seperate mris of the neck and full head both with and without contrast. I avent heard from the second ent..Im debating just taking all my results and trying another dr because the first ent gave me a list to try and when I talked to the second ent's nurse today she said it doesnt look like he will be able to do it. Im feeling like this whole situation is shady and im frusterated that no one is getting back to me and telling me whats going on and why I need all these extra tests. I feel like I got jipped with my tonsals being removed but not my adenoids (adenoids) (like they just wanted a second surgery out of me).. and the fact that I feel this recent one may be dragged out  untill after the new year really bothers me. Like they are trying to get more money out of me..Maybe I just need to be more patient..But at the same time this has been altogether a three month process and both of the ent specialist had a month to put all the peices together... if any one has any related opinions or experience let me know your views. Thankyou