Migraines & Headaches Community
alcohol related headache

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

alcohol related headache

im 58 years old and have been a moderate drinker all my adult life .

i'm in ok health (just had a check up pressure ,.sugar,.choloestrol  all fine
Wine red and white and vodka primarily

in the last year I found that wine would give me a headache so i stopped since i could still have a vodka and be ok

lately even one drink gives me a headache    any thoughts PLEASE

thanks

mark
Tags: Headache
Welcome to the forum!
Well, if you have been taking alcohol for so long then it cannot be a hangover. Cluster headaches can be triggered by ethanol in alcohol. Tyramine in red wine can trigger migraine like headache. Impurities in vodka can cause a headache. Hence probably you will have to look for a brand of Vodka that suits you.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!

is there anything you can suggest to help avert the headache (aside from not drinking at all) ?  Milk Thistle ?

also,. is it common to have been a social drinker for so long with no ill effects and now i have a headache after one or two drinks ? is it a sign of age ?

thanks so much for your attention
I've been away for the weekend and consumed large amounts of alcohol (Whiskey and beer) over the Friday and Saturday. Sunday morning I was fine no headache), I got home and was doing some work which needed me to be in a position were I was slightly bent over, allowing a slight rush of blood to my head. This brought on a server headache. I do generally get a slight headache the following day if I consume excessive alcohol, however that's only when I consume 1 type of alcohol.

Could this headache be related to the large quantity of alcohol and mixing beer and whiskey?

Thank you