Migraines & Headaches Community
alcohol related headache

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

alcohol related headache

im 58 years old and have been a moderate drinker all my adult life .

i'm in ok health (just had a check up pressure ,.sugar,.choloestrol  all fine
Wine red and white and vodka primarily

in the last year I found that wine would give me a headache so i stopped since i could still have a vodka and be ok

lately even one drink gives me a headache    any thoughts PLEASE

thanks

mark
Tags: Headache
Welcome to the forum!
Well, if you have been taking alcohol for so long then it cannot be a hangover. Cluster headaches can be triggered by ethanol in alcohol. Tyramine in red wine can trigger migraine like headache. Impurities in vodka can cause a headache. Hence probably you will have to look for a brand of Vodka that suits you.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!

Avatar n tn
is there anything you can suggest to help avert the headache (aside from not drinking at all) ?  Milk Thistle ?

also,. is it common to have been a social drinker for so long with no ill effects and now i have a headache after one or two drinks ? is it a sign of age ?

thanks so much for your attention
I've been away for the weekend and consumed large amounts of alcohol (Whiskey and beer) over the Friday and Saturday. Sunday morning I was fine no headache), I got home and was doing some work which needed me to be in a position were I was slightly bent over, allowing a slight rush of blood to my head. This brought on a server headache. I do generally get a slight headache the following day if I consume excessive alcohol, however that's only when I consume 1 type of alcohol.

Could this headache be related to the large quantity of alcohol and mixing beer and whiskey?

Thank you