are these just migraines or something more?
I was recently diagnosed with migraines about 3 months ago. My docter set me up with a MRI and it showed a spot deep in the right side of my brain. My neurologist told me it was nothing to worry about and was very quick to tell me I just had migraines. Along with my migraines however, my arms sometimes go numb and I experience severe stomach pain along with jaw pain. I have episodes where I feel as though I may pass out and have actually had a few incidents where the pain was so severe, I have vomited. Any advice or ideas as to whether or not these are just migraines? I appreciate your time and help.
                                    sincerely,
                                            Jen
I had what used to be called "common" migraines (without aura) for years.  For me the nausea and vomiting came at the point just before the pain became most severe, and then in a couple of hours the pain would slowly decrease.  The vomiting was actually a good sign that the migraine episode was going to end soon!

I experienced a lot of facial pain and head pain but not a lot of pain elsewhere - but migraines are different for everybody (at least in my family).

I don't know if you are taking any preventiative or abortive migraine medication, but some of the symptoms you are describing remind me of how some miedications have affected me over the years.

Wishing you the best of luck in controlling your headaches!

Thanks for writing in.
It is very difficult to tell exactly what may have caused the change in the MRI but since you suffer from migraines it is quite possible that the spot in the brain seen on MRI is due to chronic migraines.
Your symptoms also indicate migraine. Migraine is characterized by one sided throbbing headache which can be accompanied by numbness on one side of the body, nausea and vomiting. Vomiting usually provides relief from an acute attack. It is very important to differentiate migraine from stroke since their presenting features are very similar. Please discuss this with your doctor.
Take care!
Thank you for your answers and your time =)

I do have another question...you said that it is possible that the spot in my brain seen on the MRI is due to chronic migraines....would you recommend any tests be done just to be on the safe side? It's just that I've never had migraines in my life except 3 months ago I was diagnosed with them.  My doctor did recommend that I have a MRI every 3 to 6 months to check for changes in size due to my age (21).  

Thanks so much again for all your time. Much appreciated.

-Jen-

It is important to follow up the white spots in the brain with a repeat MRI every 3-6 months. The reason is to rule out MS. MS can also cause symptoms like numbness, difficulty in walking, fatigue, muscle cramps and twitches. MS is a very difficult disease to diagnose.
If there is a progression or change in size or number of the spots the possibility of MS has to be considered.
At the moment I do not think you need to undergo any tests. Just make sure you eat healthy, exercise regularly and keep your body weight in the normal range.
Hope this helps!
Sorry to hijack thread. I've had brain MRI done in '07 and then later in '08 with no change to a white spot UBO (in non critical area). I've had MS-like symptoms for 9 mo. MS was "ruled out". Is your suggestion to continue getting MRIs that frequently as long as symptoms don't improve or only if they worsen? I suspect it would be some hassle to convince Neurologist to allow this many tests if symptoms were constant.
Good Morning.
I have just had an MRI and spots were found.  Ok, I get it something is wrong.  I suffer with cluster migrains on my left side, regular migrains, (no bubble action) on my right side and Occular Migrains, these lovely things make me blind for up to 60 secs, to 2 mins. I have had the cluster migrains all my life, hospital ER loves me :), My GP just told me to day about the spots and is sending me to a neuro dr.  Question is: I am 56 yrs old and can MS start Now??????  Thank you so much in advance.
Lost