Migraines & Headaches Community
back left head sharp pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

back left head sharp pain

hi... lam 18/M and l started having this pain in the left back of my head a week ago and it cames only when l exercise  and l started to think its cus of l was doing pull ups in my school ones but the bar was very far from ground and when l was done l just let go but when l landed in the ground l felt like my brain shaked inside my skull it was painfull and its exactly that day the first time l felt that pain and from that day on everytime l exercise l feel the same pain any one knows y and how to get rid of it?
Tags: Pain
Pain in the back of the head is often referred to as a cervicogenic (meaning: from the neck) headache because it often originates from an irritation in the upper cervical (neck) spine. This is because the nerves that supply the back of the head originate in the upper cervical spine.

Nerve conduction tests are needed to diagnose it. Sometimes cervical spondolysis can cause this type of pain.

Rare causes of pain at this area include Brain aneurysms, brain tumors, Brain infection like meningitis or encephalitis, stroke or TIA (transient ischemic attack). Please get a CT back of head and neck or MRI neck to find out the confirmatory diagnosis.

Till then give rest to the part, try wearing a cervical collar and give cold compresses to the site of pain. You can also take over the counter analgesics (pain relievers) like ibuprofen(advil/motrin) and muscle relaxants. Local application of muscle relaxant gel may also be useful.

Please consult a neurologist for a thorough check up and starting with the treatment.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Headaches associated with physical exertion such as exercise or pull ups may also be due to exertion headache. Majority of this is related to migraine or cluster headaches. However, if it persists, further evaluation is necessary to determine the headache cause and to rule out musculoskeletal, organic or neurological causes. At this point, you can avoid any physical exertion or take preventive medicines prescribed by your doctor. It is best that you have this evaluated further for proper diagnosis. Take care and hope to hear from you soon.