Migraines & Headaches Community
back of neck headache

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

back of neck headache

I wake up in the morning and I have tension or slight pain at the base of my head. Mostly on the right side then as the day progesses it can become an extrem headache. I call them migraines. If I lay down the the pain at the base of my head becomes worse. If they progess and become migraines I start to vomit I go into a the tub with hot water for about any hour to lessen the migraine. Is there anything that can help?
Wow this sounds like me.  My migraines start from the back of my neck on the right side mainly right under the base of my skull.  The pain is like someone is pinching me so hard.  My shoulders are also very tense and the rest of my neck.  That eventually leads to my migraine right over my right eyebrow it radiates from my neck to there.  I have been everywhere actually I went to a headache center they gave me nerve block injections in these areas.  I take imitrex for my migraines 100mg's which works great!  I have 2 herniated discs in my neck I know, but I know there is something else going on.  I am gonig to see a spine specialist and get a MRI done of my neck and back.  I did a lot of research and many migraines come from the neck.  I just hope there's an answer soon.  Right now I am wearing a cerical collar also which I think is helping...  

Hope you are feeling better.
It is important in your case to rule out problems with the cervical spine like cervical spondylitis or disc prolapse because your headaches seem to originate from the base of your head. Cervical problems can cause headaches which eventually become migraine headaches. You may need to undergo CT scan or MRI of neck.
There are many medications for migraines like Imitrex, Zomig wich are useful in aborting acute attacks, while medications like Topamax and beta blockers are useful as prophylactic agents.
Please consult a neurologist. Take care!