Migraines & Headaches Community
benadryl for my cold

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

benadryl for my cold

hey all i just wanted to ask if people have experience with benadryl? I have a cold and I want to take something that wont trigger a migraine and hear that benadryl is used in hospitals for migraine? So i think it will be safe? My headache specialist of course is away for the holiday so any input would be great!!
thanks
Anthony
Avatar dr f tn
Hi Anthony,
How are you? A cold can be due to a viral infection which can last for a few days and resolves on its own. It can also be due to a sinus infection or allergies. Benadryl is an antihistamine medication that is indicated for allergic reaction. It is safe to take this medication if you are not sensitive to it and especially if your cold is due to allergies. One of the side effect is drowsiness so it is best taken before bedtime or at night. Drinking plenty of fluids may  also help.Take care and do keep us posted how it goes.