Migraines & Headaches Community
best pain relief for migraine?

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

best pain relief for migraine?

I have had migraines related to my period ever since I stated puberty. I can live with them. Sometimes when I have them either due to time of the month or stress related I just think " thank god I dont have cluster headaches" because sometimes they are that bad I have to think of something to make myself think im lucky. Anyway. I have tried various over the counter medicine and prescribed and im not a fan of the prescribed kind as I have sit with my doctor and ask for medication which...I dont really like doing. I live in the uk so anyone in the uk is best answering this. What over the counter medicine is the best t get rid of migraine pain when it happens.
As a current migraine suffer I sympathize. I am curious do also have pelvic pain (cramps) with your period? If so THAT IS NOT NORMAL. I recommend that you find an endo specialist to see if you have something like endometriosis or poly cystic ovarian syndrome. I know that my endometriosis is one of the reasons I have migraines.

I hope this helps,
achilles2
um..i dont get what your saying here really. Basically my question was out of all the pain relief out there on the shelves in like boots and super drug and pharmacies, whats the best one to get rid of the pain... i have tried so many different ones and bah i can deal with the pain just would like to know something as a reference when the pain gets so bad in my head..
Many women who suffer with migraines with their period, also have cramps or PMS. Contrary to public and some health professionals opinion PMS OR PAINFUL CRAMPS ARE NOT NORMAL. I am saying that if you have migraines and pelvic pain you should get it checked to make sure you do not have endometriosis or something similar. The best type of doctor to do this is an endo specialist and not just a general ob/gyn as they do not know enough about endo to treat it properly. Plus if you take birth control that can cause migraines, mine were 100 times more painful when I was taking birth control. As far as over the counter I am not in the U.K. and I take prescription meds for my migraines as nothing over the counter worked for me.
If you're not sensitive or allergic to Tylenol (Acetametaphin), neurologists usually recommend that their patients try Excedirin Migraine.  You should be able to get something similar to this in the UK.

Like achilles2, over-the-counter stuff didn't work for me either, so asking for something that does work from your doctor for the couple of times a month you do need something does seem appropriate.  Something that causes pain similar to Endometriosis is PCOS (Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome).  With either one of these conditions, though, you have to push doctors to get the help you need, because many will insist that a little bit of pain is "normal", but like achilles2 said, it's not normal.  I watched a video on a link she posted about endometriosis, and that's what they were saying.  In fact, they were saying that no period should be painful.

NSAIDS usually work best for overall pain relief, but there is still a strong cautionary warning involved.  Using them a lot is hard on the stomach and can cause bleeding.  Using them a little bit seems to be alright.  If you can't get prescription Naproxen (Naprosyn), you can still get this medication over the counter.  This is the NSAID the neurologist prefers because it works fastest.  It is usually added to the regimine along with prescription acute migraine medicines.  The over the counter brand name for this medication in America is Aleve.  I don't know the name of it in the UK, but at least that is the generic word for it.

Something else to keep in mind:  If you're prone to constipation, you want to try not to get constipated close to time for your monthly, since that's when you are getting your migraines.  Constipation makes the cramping from the period worse and constipation aggravates migraines.  It's all connected.  While you would still have to see a cooperative ob/gyn to get help for the painful periods, if you are prone to constipation, it would prove more helpful to see a natural doctor for this than for a GI, if you already know what the problem is.  A natural doctor (naturopath) can help you improve this situation more naturally, which in turn would help with the monthly cramping.  That is, if this is also a probem for you.  It is a problem common for many women.