Migraines & Headaches Community
cervical spondylitis

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

cervical spondylitis

I saw you mention cervical spondylitis.  I have a fusion from C2-C5 and severe migraine. I also have had VAD, with stroke.  A brain MRI and MRA confirmed this.  I have so many headaches, I've been on several medications, and have taken hydrocodone 7.5-500 TAMCK for 8 years, average of 30 pills a month. I also take Cymbalta 60mg and aspirin. I saw the word spondylitis on my medical records after I had a c-spine fusion, and at the time was so miserable didn't think much about it!  My dad had spondylitis or spondylosis, not sure how to spell it or if they are different conditions.  I'm very ill and had to retire on disability from law enforcement. I've had a problem getting my neurologist (my old one retired) and other doctors on the same page, so to speak.  My new neurologist didn't get the entire record from the old one, but a summary of my condition. I am suffering and don't know what to do.  I had an ENG last spring that shows a severely impaired VOR, and just last year also thanks to new computer imaging, my eye doctor found scarring behind my left eye. My eyes jerk a lot, especially when I first get out of bed, other than that I have nystagmus at a slow left beat.  I have dizziness constantly and vertigo frequently. When I drive (which is rarely now) I feel as if I am still moving or the car is still moving when I stop, especially if I am backing up, which I try to avoid.  My entire body aches, all over, and I get a headache (at the base of my skull a lot), and I'm only 50 this year.  I don't know what else to do? Could I also have spondylosis and what tests would show this?  I am in a program called IMPACT depression and the pharmacists that I see each month said she believes I might have Fibro.  I am trying to find out if there are some tests that I have missed that can help me.  I have scheduled a complete physical today and am going through the employee assistance network on my insurance to see a Psychiatrist within the next couple of weeks.  I have re-scheduled an appointment with my neurologist and spoke with his assistant. The problem with him is that he doesn't want to "commit" to repeating what other doctors have noted on my records, but my previous neurologist is retired!  I am seeking social security disability to supplement my small pension, but due largely to the very lax notes on my neurologist's records (he put has vertigo and migraine.....that's it!), they turned me down the first time. I am not giving up, however, because I cannot work. I am typing this with my eyes shut because my head is hurting and I  have an ice pack on it.  I can type, as you can see, but I cannot work a job doing it all day due to 2 hand/wrist surgeries.  ACL damage right s houlder with arthritis, and other joint pain. Do you have any suggestions for me? What other tests should I get for my neck or therapy? It's been 17 years since the fusion. Thanks.

Thanks for writing in.
I would suggest you to discuss the option of consulting a good physiotherapist for your neck as neck exercises may help in regaining normal motility of neck and also the headache.
It is also important to explore the possibility of fibromyalgia which is a common cause of generalized aches and pains especially in women.
If possible you can also discuss the relevance of getting a repeat MRI of neck done with your neurologist.
Do keep us posted on how you are doing. Take care!