Migraines & Headaches Community
chronic migraine

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

chronic migraine

Hi there I have just been put on Gabapantin for chronic migraine.  I was told to come off the tramadol which helped the constant headache so apart from other heart and thyroid medication the Gabapantin is the only other pain relief I am on.  I am to start the Gabapantin at 100 mg per day for three days, this is day two and gradually increase until I am on 300 x 3 times per day.  Obviously I am nowhere near the dose and my headache is so severe.  My question is, is it o.k. to take the occasional codeine whilst it is so severe until the Gabapantin kicks in or is there a reason why these two medications should not be taken together.  I have taken paracetamol but they don't touch the pain.  Thank you so much in anticipation
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? When taking codeine with gabapentin, additive or synergestic effect may be observed especially with elderly or debilitated patients. Strict monitoring is usually recommended for potentially excessive or prolonged central nervous system and/or respiratory-depression. It is best that you talk to your doctor about pain management prior to taking any medication. Complementary and alternative medicine such as biofeedback and acupuncture may also be done. Take care and do keep us posted.