Migraines & Headaches Community
cloudy head, dizzy spells

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

cloudy head, dizzy spells

For the last year I have been having mild to severe dizzy spells and they seem to be getting worse. My head always seems cloudy I guess is a good term. Even on a good day my head feels bad like it is not getting enough oxygen to clear it up. Lately I can't even work or do most anything except sit around and try not to move my head much so I don't get dizzy and fall down. I did notice the other day when I had a severe dizzy spell I looked in the mirror and my pupils were very tiny. I have never seen them like that before. I wake up in my sleep with dizzy spells that are turning my world upside down.
Any idea on what kind of doctor I should go see?

I'm sorry you are not feeling well.  You should probably see a neurologist or otoneurologist affiliated with a major hospital.

I see an oto-neurologist for my dizzy spells. They should do a work up  that may include a MRI and/or MRA, doppler on your neck arteries, ear/vestibular function tests and blood tests.

There could be a 100 reasons for dizzy spells from the minor to the serious.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.
Did you ever get this figured out?!? I have all the same symptoms.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Dizziness happens when there is not enough blood getting to the brain. This can happen if there is a sudden drop in your blood pressure or if you are dehydrated, hypoglycemic, suffering from the common cold or flu, ear problems, error of refraction, vertigo or even allergies. If it persists,  check with your doctor for proper evaluation. Your complete medical history, physical examination, and diagnostic  tests will help determine the possible cause. Take care and do keep us posted.
I too felt/feel the same way.  Knowing what I know now I believe I know why I feel this way.  About 13 years ago I suffered a neck injury which I was treated for and I had forgotten about.  I didn't associate or realize that the "lack of clear thought" and "feeling stupid" or "just not awake" was related.  Skip 10 years later and two spinal surgeries I realize that a nerve pinched in my neck is causing this.  That and my migraine headaches that have increased in frequency.  I know this because there are movements that when my neck/shoulder that can reduce and eliminate the migraine before I begin vomiting, now that I know what the cause of the problem is.

I recommend thinking about any back/head/neck injuries that you may have dismissed and get an MRI or CAT scan if you've had one.  And don't let your GP dismiss your symptoms as "degenerative arthrithis".  That's a an answer given when they don't know what to say or do.