Migraines & Headaches Community
could i need a shunt revision or could it be something else

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

I have a vp shunt.  I had surgery to replace the tubing in 2006, and since then have gotten headaches more often than I ever have before.  I've had a headache for the past four days that comes and goes, along with feeling lightheaded (which I usually don't get with headaches). My headaches are usually on the side where my shunt is and a little bit in my sinuses. I've felt really tired and have trouble waking up in the morning and don't have much of an appetite.  Could my shunt need to be replaced? Or could it be something else?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Ventriculoperitoneal shunting or VP shunting is surgery to relieve increased pressure inside the skull  which is caused by excess cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) on the brain. Shunt placement is usually successful in reducing pressure in the brain. But if there are other conditions present such as spina bifida, brain tumor, meningitis, encephalitis, or hemorrhage, these conditions could affect the outcome. Have this checked by your doctor for proper evaluation. Take care and do keep us posted.
I was born with an arachnoid cyst on the back of my brain and had two shunts put in. I suffered for four years with all the hospitals and docs all treating me like crap like I was a liar or an addict trying to get pain meds. Ask your doc if he or she could do a ct of your brain and then later do another one and compare them. I toook old cts fro 2009 to my new doc and he did a new ct and saw that fluid was slowly building up over 4 years causeing altered state of mind, severe nausea,and constant pressure and headaches that I couldn't stand. With the iold films he found the issue and I had a 3rd shunt put in and the pressure is now gone. The pressure made my eyes hurt so bad I wanted them removed