Migraines & Headaches Community
headache after spinal tap
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

headache after spinal tap

I had a spinal tap on 12/24/08.  8 days later I still have a headache when sitting or standing. I have gotten marginally better over the 8 days but not well enough to go to work or do anything normal. How long will this last and when should I consider the blood patch? Could that possibly restart this headache? I have injested as much caffeine and sodium as suggested by neurologist but to no true avail.  I want this headache to end and to go back to normal. Please advise!
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
620923_tn?1393294254
HI....u could have a small CSF leak...or u did not lie still long enuff afterward.

U should contact ur dr...I had an epidural....and had a headaches from it as well...moved too soon....I was told if I still had it 5 days later a blood patch would be done.....U have waited long enuff or should I say suffered long enuff.

Ask for testing....sometimes a leak can lead to other issues.

Call ur dr!

Good luck
Godspeed
"selma"
Blank
Hi,

Thanks for writing in.
Headaches occur after spinal tap but usually go away in 2-3 days. If your headache is persisting there is a possibility that there is continuing leakage of spinal fluid from the site of puncture.
It is important that you notify your doctor because caffeine and sodium intake has not helped. You may need an epidural blood patch to stop the headache.
Please inform your doctor and let us know if you need more help.
Take care!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Migraines & Headaches Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank