Migraines & Headaches Community
headache from cold weather

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

headache from cold weather

Lately when I go outside in the cold (I live in WI) I get an instant headache and it hurts worse and worse the longer I'm outside.  I just want to know what causes this and is there a way to prevent it, other than living indoors all winter.

thanks for reading this and any answers you may have.

You should wear warm clothes and cover your face and ears with a cap or stole or muffler - a warm scarf.

This would help in some way. Also try to drink warm fluids at frequent intervals to keep yourself warm. You could also take OTC pain relief medications in case the pain is too much.

If you still have the symptoms it would be best to consult a neurologist and also to rule out sinusitis which could be causing the headaches.

Do keep us posted.

Good luck.