Migraines & Headaches Community
headaches everyday !!

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

headaches everyday !!

I get headaches everyday, or every other day, and being 18 and in university, it's really hard on me.  I usually wake up with a headache or it comes later on in the day.  I've been taking Aleve (advils don't work for me) since a few days ago, but the pain keeps coming back after around 1 hour or so.  It starts with pain/pressure around my eyes, then goes to my forehead and my temples, never to the back of my head though.  Sometimes its so bad that I start getting dizzy, feel nauseated, etc.  The pressure around my eyes is sometimes so bad that I have trouble opening them.  I haven't been to the doctors yet, so I haven't had any test done.  I've had this since about a year ago.  It's only started being a problem since I started university, with all the studying and such.  I can't study for more than a short period of time before the headache gets too bad.

I also feel tired all the time, and have a weak immune system (my mom supposes that's what it is) because I get colds every month, and usually pneumonia or bronchitis once a year, etc.  I try to sleep at least 9 hours per night so I know it's not a lack of sleep, and it's probably not stress either cuz it's only my first year in university and I had them before.

What can I do to ge them under control?
Thak you in advance.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Are there other symptoms present? This could be eye-related or from primary headaches like tension headache. Check with an eye doctor to rule out error of refraction and other eye issues. Rest, ice pack and pain medications may help. However, a headache journal may help identify the triggers responsible. If it persists, it is best that you have this evaluated by your doctor for proper evaluation. Take care and do keep us posted.
Thank you for your response.

I know it is not my eyes because I got them checked out in may for a higher prescription.  I thought that would of stopped them but their still here.

Also, pain medication doesn't really help (only for about an hour).
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thanks for the update. It is good to know that your eyes were cleared. If the pain medications are not helping, you may need stronger prescription medicines to help relieve symptoms. Over-the-counter analgesics or pain relievers, if taken more than three days a week, also increases the risk of developing rebound headaches. The causes of many chronic daily headaches are not well understood. But if there was no trauma to the head, primary headaches such as tension, cluster and migraine headaches may be responsible. Have this checked by a neurologist for proper evaluation. Take care always.
Thank you for your response.

I will make an appointment with my doctor.

I do have one more thing though.  I get a head rush almost everytime I stand up.  I don't know if it has anything to do with the headaches or not.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Try standing slowly. This can be attributed to postural hypotension wherein there is a big change of blood pressure and your body adopts and  manifest as such. If this does not work, further evaluation is needed to find the cause. Best regards.
You may have food allergies.  If you do and you stop the problem foods, you would improve in many ways.  
Dec 12, 2010
Do this pranayam now for 20 minutes, and let me know how you feel.Keep doing it daily and you will sleep better, and the headache will decrease gradually. Drink warm water.
Build up your timing gradually.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after one minute.
Anulom Vilom pranayam –
Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 15 to 30  minutes twice a day.
Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.
Not trying to diagnose you but just sharing my experience I spent 3 years in your pain, symptoms and doctors. Please make sure the doctors check your thyroid and not just your TSH. TSH can show normal and it still be your thyroid. Headaches, dizzy, hypotension (low blood pressure) and body temperature.....

Don't give up...

Thank you for your responses.

I was checked for allergies about 2 years ago, so I'm pretty sure that's not it.

That would make sence, since I have low blood pressure since I was young.  It usually stands between 80/50 - 100/60.  When I was young, if I skipped a meal, I would usually faint, but not anymore (even though I'm carefull to eat at least every 2-3 hours, if not I get dizzy and nauseated).  And my older sister (20 years old), just got diagnosed with hypothyroidism last week (it stopped working completely).  She had hyperthyroidism around a few months ago when she was pregnant (she had lost over 30 pounds in less than 3 weeks after she got her baby (july 2010), but then gained it all back + more in october), so the doctors suspected something, so they ran tests and found out her thyroid had completely stopped working.  I also have two uncles, an aunt and a grand-mother with thyroid problems.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thanks for the updates. You can have complete work-up and blood examination when you see your attending physician. Fainting when you skip a meal is possible since low blood glucose can lead to this also. It is said that the there is a strong hereditary component to most thyroid conditions. Take care and do keep us posted with the results.
I actually forgot to mention a few things when I originally posted this.

Since a couple of months ago, I have a constant nose bleed (and by constant, I seriously mean constant, it's always bleeding).  It's not bad enough to drip but if I try to blow my nose all that comes out is blood, even if I just touch my nostril with a tissue it looks like I left the tissue there for atleast a few seconds (it looks like it should be dripping from my nose, but it doesn't).  I also can't blow my nose properly.  It's always stuffed but if I try to blow my nose nothing comes out but blood.  It feels like the mucus is all stuck in my sinus cavities.  I also can't breath well from my nose.  

I don't know if this has anything to do with my headaches and such, but I would like to know what you guys think.

Thank you in advance.
The body needs to breathe through both nostrils to keep the body systems in balance.
The left nostril is cold and right is hot. When one nostril is blocked, there is some problem in the body.
Do the pranayam I suggested in my post of December 12, 2010, to get balanced breathing, and you will see the benefit in a few weeks.