intense headache with bowel movement
i had a bowel movement last night and in the midddle i got the most intense headache that creeped up my neck then felt like it exlopded in the top of my head!!! throbbing burning pain, lasted for about 4 hours, then subsided. had another bowel movement today, with the same headache but not as intense and didnt last but 1 hour. can you help me??? why? how? what can I do? im afraid to got to bathroom now!!!
Just happened to me, a loose bm and my head exploded. thought i had burst a blood vessel . wife dosent belive me how painfull it is thought i was going to die untill i googled it and met you lott.
I really thought I was going crazy. At first I typed migraine with diarrhea, nothing, then severe headache diarrhea, nothing. Finally I have found you all. I have been going through this about once a week for the last three weeks. I had one time before months ago, but this time it has happened more. I have had it with both loose bm and constipated Bms, so I think it must have to do with any straining at all. The headaches come on so fast, and are so intense I sweat throw up and cry. I have had a lingering headache since the first one a couple weeks ago. I actually had two in one night also. The first one was not as long lasting as the second, and not quite as intense. But it was made worse by the fact that I was traveling. I have had loose bm's on and off for a long time since I went through Chemo and radiation 11 years ago. I really thought the last time I had one that I was going to die. If anyone ever figures this out (my doc can't) please let me know. It is very scary
I know this post is old, but this happens to me all the time. Well three times now, and I get extremely hot on the outside but freezing on the inside. Have you found anything out yet?

Hi,....I also had this issue but I was DX'd with Chiari Malformation and with strain comes pain....not all that experience this type of exertion pain have Chiari....but should get to a Dr for testing...a MRI may be a good place to start of the cervical spine....

I have been experiencing this exploding head throbbing and pain and I am going to see a neurologist in a few days, but I found something that seems to be working for me. Sort of acupressure:  I spread both hands on each side of my face, placing little fingers into the tear duct area, fourth fingers on the eyebrow areas above nose where they start and the thumbs at the back part of the jaws. Absolutely no pain with the bm and with holding breath or straining. I have a feeling it may have something to do with the sinuses, but whatever works and this is so simple. Please try and I truly hope it helps you.
Hi, I've never blogged before, but wanted to try and help.  I found the severe pain related to bowel strain was from the way I kept my head when I slept.  I tend to put my chin down to my chest, as I sleep on my side.  I found that when having a BM, if I kept my chin on my chest, I didn't get the pain.  Also, if the pain starts, start another push.  But, to get rid of the incidents, I started exercising my neck when I get up. Just simple  4 times to the left and right, 4 times to the front and back, and 4 swirls to the left and then 4 swirls to the right.  Somedays I have to do it twice if I slept with my head propped on 2 pillows. This has taken it away for me.    Also, when I look down all day at something (like reading), it would occur.  I r!eally hope it works for somebody else!
Listen up. If you do not want have to push or strain at all, then you need to drink a full glass of water with 3 heaping teaspoons of Metamucil mixed in. Do this at least once (or even twice a day). If you do this, the feces will come out very easy with no pushing or straining. This should avoid the headaches. You also need to make a "pact" with yourself never to push hard or even moderately.  If it doesn't come out with a little push, then forget about having a bowel movement at that time, and take a laxative or Metamucil. Once it takes affect, you will be hurrying to the bathroom, you will sit down on toilet, and it will come out very easy with pushing at all. As for the headaches, I stupidly did not adhere to my "pact" to never strain. The other day, I made an exception and kept pushing really hard because it was half in and half out (it had reached my rectum from the bowel, which is the point of no return and I felt like I had no choice. Now I have been having bad pulsating headaches for several days.  I am seeing my doctor in 2 days and asking him if he thinks he should do an MRI and if nothing bad shows up, ask him if it will resolve on its own.
I am going to set an appointment with my doctor. But I will try your advice too. Thanks.
I am really suffering with my BM with extreme head pain and have had this problem for the last 16 years i am now 31
The first time i had gotten the extreme headpain i was in school and had to be taken home and it didn't stop for 2 weeks
MRI scans showed nothing and was considered i was putting it on for attention
But during the course of my life i was a normal kid finding out new things and smoking was one of them
Smoking Solids (pot) as a teen was great and had no further problems with my head pain but didn't realize this at the time that Pot was working and stopping my head pains and when i was 22 i found this out!
Was having a normal day and need to have a BM and BOOM BOOM BOOM my head exploded and i was pacing around and i picked up a spliff and to my relief my head pain stopped almost instantly  

I do not know why i get these extreme head pains from having a BM (almost everyday now) but i do know that cannabis is the best medicine i have found for curing my extreme head pain and is also good for stomach cramps too

The best way to smoke cannabis is to vaporize it but rolling it with your normal cigarette's does the job too

I hope this information is useful too you and helps you with any of your pains

Legalize Cannabis NOW!!! The best natural product known to man for treating and curing many illnesses and diseases

Cannabis Oil Can Cure Cancer  

These type of headaches are usually associated with chiari malformation, IIH, dural sinus stenosis, subdural bleeding, brain aneurysm, brain tumor etc. A MRI should be obtained and can rule all these out.

If the MRI looks normal then the following three meds should be tried: propranolol, indomethacin, diamox.

One of these three will work.

Good luck!
Carcinoid syndrome.- ask your doctor to give you a urine 5h1aa test
carcinoid syndrome
I to have had it for 20 yrs now and I don't strain, was hospitalized looking for an anyurism yrs back but no conclusion. I was reading the thread and wondered if you had any more conclusions  from anyone on this issue?
I was told to take fiber after finding diverticulitis but the fiber made the abdominal pain worse for me and the worse i got the dr would say take more so i would. After realizing the coalation i stopped taking it and felt better right away the next day as far at the abd. pain but I still have the issue of these attacks for 20 yrs now and am still trying to pinpoint why they happen to me. I don't strain at all after 20 yrs of this with no satisfactory help from Dr.'s. Was wondering if you've heard of anything new as far as conclusions for anyone with this, have been reading the thread trying to find similarities.
I to have had the same issue for over 20 yrs and wondered if you have read of any more help or conclusions with this thread.
was wondering how you know that ' it happens when my liver gets overwhelmed and starts dumping bile'?? I had thought it was too much acid in my system and live on prilosec (zantac doesn't cut it) cuz it happened with 8 bowel movements in one day and they seemed acidy cuz i was burning. Any new results, I have been doing this for 20 yrs now and still searching.
Was wondering if the Diamox was still helping? Any more flair ups? I have had this for 20 yrs now, still searching.
I to have suffered with this for 20 yrs and was wondering if you are still having symptoms or have heard of any other results or conclusions? still searching for help thanks
I was checking to see if this has still been happening and if you have had any results or conclusions. I have been doing this for 20 yrs now with no conclusions and am still searching and comparing. I have had neck and head injuries and wondered if the pinched nerves or such were part of the issue also. I take muscle relaxers and it helps to get rid of the headache but they still come back.
I saw a neurosurgeon who said i have a bone spur in my neck and wanted to do the surgery and put in a metal one or give me shots in the neck and try that for the pain than he retired. You seem to sound the most similar to me so far as  having neck and head issues to start with. I was catapulted and fell 3 stories, had a baseball bat to the head, and father beat up my face so have been thinking it was the injuries.
I to have been doing this for 20 yrs. I don't drink as much water as i should either and have put this on my list of things to watch. was wondering if others had head and neck injuries. I seem to think mine have a coalation with this but am still researching. Have you had any other conclusions or results?
I to have been doing this for 20 yrs. I have been taking a muscle relaxer for neck tightness and pain for the past year or two on and off. Lately if i stop taking them i regret it because these migraines come back. was wondering how you are doing and if you have had any new results or conclusions?
another similarity is heart arrhythmias, i have those also all the time every day but never have noticed them flaring when i have a BM migraine. Will pay attention to it though. And I only hold my breath when the pain kicks in breathing practices didn't help with me.
mine started after the birth of my second child (not immediately, a yr or two i think) and he's 21 this yr.
yes mine are so strong that i get the twitching almost looks like i am ducking and  that coincides with my heartbeat and the pain like someone is in there with a brick trying to smash their way out and they have lit the back of my head and neck on fire, I use 2 large ices bags one for the back of my neck and one for the top of my head, than i take 1 flexeril, 2 tramadol, and 3 ibuprofen, if that doesn't completely work i take a valium, hate pills but have no choice at this point. I am going on week 3 longest it has lasted in a long time.
Try smoking or eating some cannabis
Hey Ive just experienced what you went through while taking a BM. I just got released from the hospital still having pains for the BM without any explination why. They did CT scans. MRIs, and even lumbar punctures and all still came up negative. Now home Im wondering what the hell this is and is there anything possible to reduce these "attacks"

-Aaron
My name is Denise and I have this same problem and most of these attacks happen when I use an enema but not all the time. I am afraid to have a bm because of the intense pain and all I can do is scream for help also. Like your wife Ive been to the er and had a ct scan and blood work and they found nothing. i have an appt. with a neurologist and if I find anything out I will let you know. Ive heard it could be an increase of bllod pressure at the time of the bm, dehydration, or a nerve in the back of the neck flaring up. Whatever it is I can definitely sympathize. Even though it usually lasts me about 20 minutes its 20 minutes of torture. Please let me know if you find out anything.
I also have this same problem and definitely don't drink enough water and have heard this could be the possible problem. i've tried drinking more water and found that when I do I'm less apt to get these attacks.
it might help, but i wonder if it has something to do with posture and maybe diet. i had an episode today, not my first, i was on my laptop with my neck and head craned forward for a while, i needed to go to the loo, then as i was sitting on the throne, i had the pressure surge and pain.

i have had neck problems for years and feel this maybe related to the horrible feeling, it sure is scary, but kind of comforting knowing i am not alone with this, it could be a BP thing, i smoke tobacco and drink to much coffee. i am going to change to decaff, cut down on the bacci and also chocolate, if you consume these in more quantities than you should it must have some effect on your health, so could also be linked to this horrible feeling. if it continues i will go to the doctor, been feeling really stressed as well of late, so this could also be a factor.try not to panic and worry, its out of your control so doing so could make things worse. good luck people and i hope things improve for you.
j thought  is was crazy this happens to me often I am scare to have a bm because of the inteity of the pain my whole head feel as if it may explode I need help been fighting this headach four yearswhat do I need to do
It's always a bit of a relief to know others have the same issues. I believe the symptoms are caused from the vassal nerve which runs from your anus to your brain, up through the spine. I've gotten these migraines (yes, I call them migraines if they last over 3 days with vomiting, nausea, etc). The only answer I've come up with is staying on a raw food lifestyle since I've had this issue almost all of my life. I also have herniated discs in my neck and upper back which doesn't help the problem (these happened later in life, I slipped ungracefully I might add). I feel bad that people are being guinea pigs for doctors who are giving them expensive tests and still not finding results. Sometimes even a little pressure in the bowel can cause the exploding head pain, so those who get it with loose stool, I've found that sometimes something I've eaten that my colon doesn't like will then produce the headaches as I'm eliminating. A huge help is doing Pilates or Yoga to keep things along your spine flexible and allowing the fluids to flow unrestricted. Hope some of this helps. I have found this out on my own after decades of personal research, it's something, not a full answer, but it's been extremely helpful for me. Stay healthy!

Everyone, please consider drinking more water..with a pinch of quality sea salt.  According to F. Batmanchelidj, MD, author of "Your Body Cries for Water," just pain water isn't very effective for true inner body hydration.  It's a great book for anyone interested in natural medicine.  Headaches are sometimes the last sign that your body is dehydrated, so at that point, it's pretty far gone.  Also, any existing ailment you may have will always be exacerbated by dehydration.  Prayers to all.
My story is so similar to others.  A perfectly normal BM took me from feeling fine, to feeling like my last moments had come. An incredibly painful pulsating headache hit the back of my head.  I was surprised I could actually stand and walk.
As I'm in the UK and thankfully don't have to consider healthcare costs, after half an hour of scary agony, I called an ambulance. I was admitted to hospital from the emergency department, given close monitoring, a CT scan, lumber puncture, and raft of blood tests. Lots of painkillers and anti nausea drugs followed.
Nothing showed up as bad in the results, so I went home next day. It took a good forty eight hours before things settled down.
I put the experience down as a one off. Wrong. Three nights later, exactly the same setting, POW! This time, I noticed an odd tingling up my spine and neck, then a monster pulsating headache hit.
I took strong painkillers and lay in the dark. After three hours, nothing had changed, so my husband took me to hospital. Admitted once again, I spent the next three being monitored by a bunch of confused doctors.  
Because I felt nauseous with the drugs, I hardly ate anything, and didn't need a poop while in hospital. Two hours after going home...you guessed it. I was on the lavatory and felt a tingling in my spine.
With great effort, I forced myself to relax, dropped my shoulders, breathe deeply, and tipped my head back instead of forwards as on previous occasions. The stirring pulsating pain at the back of my head slowly reduced. Thank the Lord!
I decided to stay as detached as possible before pooping, monitor symptoms, and treat it almost as if giving birth. This meant controlled breathing, accepting some pain was involved, and telling myself this would soon be over. I think the start of the headache coincided with actually opening the anus, so did the "panting" breath women in labour are advised to do. (I'm sure Youtube or similar will have instructions if you're not a mother.)
Things are gradually settling down. I've not been clear of headaches in two weeks, but haven't had another horrendous episode.
I had an MRI scan today to check blood vessels in the brain. (Docs may be puzzled, but they are taking things seriously.)
My theory is that some nerve has been damaged or irritated, resulting in the pain. If this continues, I'll look into buying a TENS machine (ask Google, it's better at explaining things than me) to interrupt the spinal messages. I did use one during labour, and it was a real help.
I'll update you with anything significant from MRI results.
This thread was a real help to me, knowing I wasn't the only person to experience the mind blowing pain with an everyday event. Wishing you all strength to deal with this issue. Here's to a better future.
Has anyone had problems with their ears (specifically barotitis) while experiencing painful headaches with a BM?
Yes I have in both ears, it feels like an ear or sinus infection. My question is has anybody else had shortness of breath, chest pain/ palpitations or serve anxiety with and after the episodes?
Her is my situation: my left ear has felt like it has air trapped in it for two weeks. This happened last year when fall started and it eventually went away. I have seasonal allergies and take Nasacort and Claritin. I had my first painful headache with BM six days ago. I had another one the next day, and went to urgent care. They said I have barotitis, which is then you have a problem with your ear due to changes in pressure. They gave me a decongestant and antibiotics. I didn't have a BM the next day. I didn't have a headache the next two days during BMs. I didn't take a decongestant today, and felt some pain when I had diarrhea after work. I had more diarrhea a bit later and had the most painful headache. I was in pain for a half hour and my head still hurts two hours later, although it is bearable after raking Advil. I wonder if this is all due to my ear problem, dehydration, food allergies or something else. i figure I'll need to go back to the doctor if this keeps happening.
hi i too have headaches during elininations but the absolute worst headache was during an orgasm it last fo about five hours so painful i had to stop making out in the middle of sex  does anyone else share this experience
Wow, my wife has the same problem!!!  Stool was soft and right after her bowel movement - WHAM - a 10 on the pain level.  I have looked all over the web and many have the same issue and problem but no answers!  HELP, we need an answer.
This happened to me on 12/22 and again on 12/25, I have had a dull ache since.
I too have the same problem.  Only happens when having a BM and I feel it starting at the base of my neck.  The throbbing starts and it seems to be pulsing with my heartbeat.  It just gets worse and worse till you feel something will burst in your brain.  It happened to me 5 days ago, then again 3 days ago. it was the worst Pain I have ever experienced in my life.  I honestly believed i was dying.   I have been afraid to go to the bathroom since.  A dull headache lasted 36 hours.  I kept ice packs on my neck and top of my head, seemed to help some.  Then today i had to go to the bathroom and BAM it happened again.  Thats 3 in 5 days.  Im wondering if any of the people that have posted (I noticed it goes all the way back to 2008) have found out anything????  Please post any and all things related.  I don't know what to do, how to live and Im so scared.  Someone please respond
Any updates? I am currently having the same problem and I feel the doctors think I'm crazy! These headaches are now affecting my life, job and leisure.
I am the same way and going to see my doctor today to get to the bottom of this.
I have this too, but intermittently, for years.  I have no idea why but there is a definite link between BP, BM, hydration and migraines.  I have been eating pure natural yoghurt and upping my fruit and vegetables, and reducing wine and cutting out sugar. When I stop with the yoghurt my symptoms recur.  So I would recommend this to people. Total Greek yoghurt is what we have in the UK. Not low fat (full of sugar) or fruit ones. I add my own fruit or jam to flavour.  And make sure I get enough water from fruit and veg intake as drinking pure water can reduce mineral content and cause cramps.
Good luck people. :)
I've got this as well. I had a c-section 2 weeks ago and has happened ever since, only when I'm having a BM. Exactly the same headache everyone is describing, starts at the back of the neck and builds to a total head explosion.
Went to see the anaethetist today to see if it's something to do with the spinal I had but they had never heard of this happening before. GP also baffled, suggested something to do with the Vagus nerve, hospital doctors don't think so.
I'm being referred urgently to a neurologist as I have newborn baby to look after and can't cope with these headaches.
My midwife said this happened to her after her hysterectomy and just went away on it's own.
From this thread, there does seem to be a common theme of surgery, especially spinal work.
Apart from this, I can;t find anything online which explains it, even a medical journal search has come up with nothing.
Has anyone had any results?
Kfcow!? Any updates
Hi, I too suffer from the headaches you describe.  Drs don't know everything it seems.  I see these headaches like a reaction to some type of allergen or toxin that gets absorbed around the time of BM.  The alleged "toxin" gets absorbed and is specific for dilation of cranial arteries that produce the headache.  I say this because the headache makes you feel like your blood pressure is high. I have a home blood pressure cuff and took my blood pressure during one of these pounding headaches; and it was normal for me. (135/83). So, this is why I think headaches are the result of some toxin or allergen that dilates specifically the blood vessels in your head that produce the headache; because it certainly feels like the headache is caused by too much pressure in the cranial arteries/arterioles.  So, I think what all of us need is a drug which will reverse this vasodilation in these blood vessels until whatever cstmulus for the headache is elimated.  Many people may not associate their migraines with bowel movement, but all of us do. In the past I have herd that caffiene and some prescription drugs do just this, reverse the vasodilation.  Next trip to the Dr, I am going to bring this up with him.  I really don't think these headaches are related to straining at stool.  Hopefully more drs will begin to recognize this syndrome, and do some research on it.  The headaches certainly are frightening occurrences, so I think we need some type of medicine that will reverse this dilation quickly, like some type of sub-lingual med, so these headaches don't produce what we all fear, some type of intracerebral hemmorhage.
I just had one of these headaches you described. It was scary.i placed ice on top of my head and behind my neck. Don't know why but it felt a little good and i fell asleep for a while.
Its terrible tgats why I googled I put off going for fear my head will start hurting again. My head already hurt it just gets 1"times worse when straining
Hi, I too suffer from the headaches you describe.  Drs don't know everything it seems.  I see these headaches like a reaction to some type of allergen or toxin that gets absorbed around the time of BM.  The alleged "toxin" gets absorbed and is specific for dilation of cranial arteries that produce the headache.  I say this because the headache makes you feel like your blood pressure is high. I have a home blood pressure cuff and took my blood pressure during one of these pounding headaches; and it was normal for me. (135/83). So, this is why I think headaches are the result of some toxin or allergen that dilates specifically the blood vessels in your head that produce the headache; because it certainly feels like the headache is caused by too much pressure in the cranial arteries/arterioles.  So, I think what all of us need is a drug which will reverse this vasodilation in these blood vessels until whatever stimulus for the headache is elimated.  Many people may not associate their migraines with bowel movement, but all of us do. In the past I have heard that caffiene and some prescription drugs do just this, reverse the vasodilation.  Next trip to the Dr, I am going to bring this up with him.  I really don't think these headaches are related to straining at stool, and I think that those who think that hydration is the problem are incorrect.  We have many mechanisms which prevent us from becoming dehydrated, and I'm sure most of us are not unusually dehydrated when these headaches occur. Personally, I drink a lots of water every day and I still get these headaches.  Hopefully more drs will begin to recognize this syndrome, and do some research on it.  The headaches certainly are frightening occurrences, so I think we need some type of medicine that will reverse this dilation quickly, like some type of sub-lingual med, so these headaches don't produce what we all fear, some type of intracerebral hemmorhage.
I had suffer too. Severe headache. My baby is almost 2 months old. I was disgnosed with migraine, severe migraine, cluster headache andvpostpartum headache. This is no joke! Headache it feels like its going to exploade anytime i get an attack. It's happens after i poop. It's scary! I went to see a chiro, therepist, i went to ER i went to see my prim care doc. I did everything i could cause we are miserable when i get an attack. It's so painful. My doctor gave me imetrix , norco, and the suppositories that treats nausea and vommiting.  Non of them works. Until he prescribed me  anther medication that has caffeine. Normally you take 2 capsukes everytime i get an attack. i took one only. And drunk coffee. One of the doctors said if the caffeine capsules works try taking it instead of the medicine. So far ive been drinking coffee everyday since then. It Helps! Its lessen the pain but its still there. Caffeine helps! But i was traumatized by it the fact that the next day i will poop and will get an attack again. They said it my hormones! I had a ct scan but no result yet. I will get the result this week praying it's normal. Im miserable i need help. I been having it almost everyday. When is this will end!
I hope you got better because it scares me a bit
Hi i live in souther california and im visiting family in mexico... right now im experiencing severe headaches and aching abdominal pains when passing stool... this might sound ridiculous to other but the only thing that helps with the subsiding pain believe it or not is marijuana... i know this now because in mexico marijuana is not something you can get so easy without worrying about being thrown in jail for but when i was in cali i smoke everyday and a couple mintutes later the headaches and abdominal pain goes away... and right now the pain lasted me almost the whole night.. and i am now waking up to almost an equal amount of pain... and i noticed now that i dont have the medication at hand (marijuana) the pain does not go away.. please give it a try if you have access to it... you will notice the difference.
Like Lpga,  I see these headaches like a reaction to some type of allergen or toxin that gets absorbed around the time of BM.  The alleged "toxin" gets absorbed and is specific for dilation of cranial arteries that produce the headache.  By the way, My business partners were wanting OR 8.010.5 several days ago and learned about an online service that hosts lots of fillable forms . If people are wanting OR 8.010.5 too , here"https://goo.gl/rBMXcF".