Migraines & Headaches Community
intense headache with bowel movement

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

intense headache with bowel movement

i had a bowel movement last night and in the midddle i got the most intense headache that creeped up my neck then felt like it exlopded in the top of my head!!! throbbing burning pain, lasted for about 4 hours, then subsided. had another bowel movement today, with the same headache but not as intense and didnt last but 1 hour. can you help me??? why? how? what can I do? im afraid to got to bathroom now!!!
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Were you constipated?

Did you strain hard?

One differential here is exertion headaches. This type of headaches  are associated with exertion or straining. It may persist for several minutes after straining or exertion. I suggest however that you still have this assessed by your physician. If you have underlying hypertension and risk factors in the family ( eg stroke, heart problems and diabetes) ,then it is important that you be further evaluated.

There is also a possibility of this being a sinus headache. Do you have a runny nose, fever or a postnasal drip?
This could also be as rightly mentioned an  exertional headache which occurs on straining or exerting. I would suggest you to take enough fibre in your diet and also an OTC stool softener so that you don’t have to strain during bowel movement.

This is strange, the same thing happened to me last nigt.  I got cramps, went to have a bowel movement and the most intense headache came on, throbbing, ringing in the ears.  I took medication and tried to sleep but it was still pounding for hours.  Today I feel achy and a dull headache.
Research in Switzerland links straining w/a BM w/ Migraine and possible heart conditions. May want to check this out.
A condition called chiari malformation can  also cause the same type of headache with straining for a BM....
I am sure there r many different conditions that can result in this pain. See ur dr and he can determine with other symptoms if an MRI is needed.

"selma"
I too suffer from this and the common misconception is that the person is straining too hard.  This problem happens when my bowels are loose, I have never had this problem with a solid BM.  Though one is not straining in the sense of pushing but with every BM solid or loose, there is a little pressure with every expulsion.  However, this would not explain the splitting, throbbing headache that accompanies the small push.  In my case right before the expulsion, I get a hot/painful/nauseating pressure that feels like it is pushing up under my stomach, then the expulsion, then the headache.  Sometimes the headache stays, but more than not after 20 horrible minutes or so it is gone.

I has nothing to do with stress or post nasal drip or sinuses.  It may have something to do with food allergies and intolerances.  Just a guess but that is all I have right now to work with.

MMP  
what if nothing comes up on your MRI?? I am so confused. The doctors still cannot find anything wrong with me or why i am having such agganizing pain when i make a BM. they have even taken some spinal fluid to see if it was my medication i have been taking. i just want to know why eveytime i make a BM i get a really bad headache that lasts for days not just minutes?
happens to me sometimes too it is so scary i really feel like i am gonna die.. no one will even listen to me casue i apear to be a healthy 41 year old..  i hurt for days after and if my blood pressure goes up at all in the following days it hits again : (
I can't believe that I get on the internet and google headaches with bowel movement and found you guys!  I have actually vomited twice in a week during and had to grab a towel to use. Then tonight I had just the headache.  I have never been one to get many headaches but these are horrible.  (Mine are loose as well. ) I take some medications too.  I guess I better find a new doctor since mine stop taking my insurance coverage.  
Same symptoms here & was just told it was constipation but doesn't seem related to me. Only happens with some BMs & headache subsides in 15-20 minutes
So I just had surgery on Thursday.  My first bowel movement after the surgery was on Wednesday.  I got such an intense headache after I thought I was gonna have a stroke or a blood vessal was gonna burst.  Thought it was maybe just a coinscidence, but today I had another bowel movement (no straining for either movement) and the same exact thing happended.  The pain started on the left side of my neck and exploded up through me head.  Since then, I have been terrified to have another BM.  I am truly scared that I will end up having a stroke.  To any of the others that this has happend, or is happening to, have any of u had surgery prior to this happening?
This happened to me this morning! What intense pain, I too thought I was going to die sitting on the toilet having a stroke!
Headache has subsided but not gone. I googled headache with BM and shocked to find this site. I am not constipated either, but am now petrified it will happen again.
My wife started having the most excruciation headaches last Sunday night. But what is so strange about it is it happened right as she was having a BM  after taking an enema. We didn't have a clue as to what was going on. I myself was scared out of my witts.She thought  she had blood vessels bursting in her head,But it eventually eased off.So the next night she needed some sort of relief from her constipation so she tried it again and ths time it was 10 fold as far as the pain goes. She screamed out as loud as she possibley could for help and I could not do a thing accept stand there and watch the person I love the most suffer with this terrible terrible pain. I got so scared I called the paramedics.They came and looked her over and took her to the ER. There they did a cat scan of her head,Blood work,and also checked her Uren.Too our surprise there was nothing wrong with her!! I called our doctor who is a doctor of all trades so to speak and he said that the enema could have caused her spinal fluid to drop really low and I needed to get lots of fluids into, So I did for four or five days this was our routine drink drink drink!!! I got her a bottle of stool softeners and she took four or five like the bottle said and  after about 6 or 8 hrs she had a BM. And GUESS WHAT!!! just as she was in the middle of the BM here come the splitting headache again!!!! CAN ANYONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON HERE?? This has never happened before the folks at the local ER was looking at us like she was on some sort of drug or drugs!!! which she wasn't unless motrin or Goody powders count!!! IS THERE AN EXPLANATION FOR THIS? IF ANY ONE I MEAN ANY ONE CAN HELP ME TO HELP MY WIFE WITH THIS PROBLEM PLEASE CALL OR EMAIL ME 478-892-3288 ASK FOR WADE AND PLEASE SPECIFY WHY YOUR CALLING..***@**** PLEASE HELP ME HELP MY WIFE!!!!
Google search for [ strain bowel headache aneurysm ] and review the results. Aneurysm is only one possibility. But it is significant enough that it should be eliminated as a cause.
I've had a "tight scalp / band around the head" headach, with sore neck & shoulder muscles and a bit of disequilibrium, minor visual shakiness since I strained my gut & entire body moving something 24 hours ago. Any one want to tell me why I should not ignore this until it passes?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? You should not ignore this especially if you have other co-morbid conditions like hypertension or heart disease. If this is exertion headache, it usually is prevented by taking analgesics prior to bowel movement. However, if the headache recurs despite taking abortive medication, you may need to have this checked for further evaluation. Take care and best regards.
I took your advice; right after the site told me about your post. Sorry for the delay in responding. A CT & checkup resulted in a diagnosis of "Tension Headache", no other organic cause was indicated; they gave me 3 tylenol & a prescribed percocet. Hydrocodone has caused mental confusion, dizzyness, and significant nausea in the past; I tolerate Darvocet aka Propo-N/APAP quite well and don't know why they went with percocet instead.

I still have a low grade headache when unmedicated; and frequent sensations of being off balance (woozy, dizzy) which don't interfere with movement. I'll just have to watch what develops. Thanks for your advice.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
It is good that the CT scan was fine. This rules out organic causes such as aneurysms or  tumors that are 10 % cause of exertion headaches. Tension headaches responds well to rest and pain management. . Avoidance of stress. Use of biofeedback, relaxation techniques or avoidance of stress. The use of biofeedback relaxation techniques has been proven to help also. Take care and all the best on your recovery. Best regards.
It has been a few years since you posted this, but since I found your post after suffering the worst headache in my life during a bowel movement yesterday and today (thanks to GOOGLE) I was curious if anything else came of this and have you had the same symptoms since? After an examination, my doctor has advised me to take Tylenol and Advil and to increase my fiber. Today when it occured, my bowel was pretty easy-- no straining.  

I was not straining and exercise strenuously with no problems like this. I have had no nausea or vomiting. It hurts so intensely at the moment of onset that I fear the worst. I would hate for someone to find me on the floor by my toilet with my pants around my ankles, and that may seem silly, but it is a real fear because it is that painful and intense when it happens.

If anyone else has had success through any treatment or anything else that could help me stop this or find a specialist, please let me know.  
The same thing happened to me last Wednesday at work. My co-workers took me to the ER. Severe pounding headache, worst in my life.  Blood work was done, EKG, and CT scan. All were nornal. ER doc gave me 4mg of morphine, headache still did not subside for another 24 hrs.  Four days later, another BM and another severe headache. I do not know what to do. I can't keep missing work. Please HELP!
The absolutely paralyzing pain brought on by a very regular  bowel movement ( no straining) is not only cataclysmicly painful, but very frightening.
How wonderful to know that I am not going insane.  Just to find this site and to know that other people have suffered the same excrutiating pain - with no straining at all - while having a BM helps. At least now I know I am not dying, and I am not alone.  I do suffer from migraines, but these things, and it has happened four times in the last couple of weeks, are just way off the scale.  I will try taking an analgesic before going to the loo in future.  

One thing I have been doing when it happens is taking panadeine forte and then laying down with an icebag on my head.  I do think the ice helps.
I got a severe, excruciating, throbbing headache upon having a bowel movement. The second one was worse so they took me to the ER. They did a CT scan, spinal tap and MRI and it was all negative. I had a neurology appt schedule for this past Monday and made the mistake of having sex Sunday night which led to a terrible long lasting headache -- same thing, severe throbbing head pain at the back of my head. So I made it to the neurologist for the follow up. He said these are called exertion headaches and that people get them all the time and they don't know why they happen and that the only thing that helps is going on BP medication for about 3 weeks and he usually never hears back from the people because they get better. I have done a lot of reading on the internet and I think there is a stress correlation as well. Let me tell you that those headaches were hell. Even taking Lortab on Monday barely helped and it took all day for the headache to completely subside. Now my body is trying to adjust to the BP medication but so far no more throbbing headaches. I highly recommend you go see a neurologist ASAP.
I just had this happen as well. Loose bm no straining, but severe cramping. The pain crawled up the back of my neck and I thought I was going to have a stroke. Throbbing, and my vision was a lil crazy for a few moments. I now just have a dull headache, but I am very worried. I am glad I am not alone, and I will be seeing the Dr first thing in the morning.
Just had the same thing. A THROBBING headache right at the top of my head. I am a little constipated, but everything came out somewhat well. This has happened maybe 2 months ago for a few days period. WTH, this is really bad when it happens. I need to go lay down, while wincing in pain with these throbbing headaches. I get all sweaty and nausiated. I told my Mom about this, and she kind of laughed thinking it was just a hard bowell movement.

Let me tell you this, This is not a funny thing in any way, shape, or form when it happens to you. I also thought about having an anurism on the toilet. It is that bad.
The HA's mentioned here could be a sign that something else is going on and a full check up is suggested.

Keep a journal of when u get this pain, how long it lasts and the type of pain it is....and how often it happens....plus, if u notice it with other activities...such as straining...lifting....coughing, laughing, shouting....

Many times those that have these pains have had them all their life and consider it "normal"...how would u know otherwise, but pain during ne of these is not normal.

Call ur dr and let him/her know what u r dealing with.

"selma"
I've been reading this thread for awhile now, I started getting these headaches a few years ago, and then I had gallbladder surgery. They still happen, but with a lot less frequency. So you might want to get your gallbladder checked, and ask for a HIDA scan if they don't find anything on a CT or ultrasound (I had no stones).  Some other gallbladder symptoms might be present like recurring "stomach virus", pain in the middle of your stomach, and acid reflux.

There is no straining for me either, and movements are loose.  For me, it happens when my liver gets overwhelmed and starts dumping bile.  My gastroenterologist agrees they are tension headaches. The stomach is connected to the vague nerve and problems with the stomach can irritate that nerve.

Ice helps for flares, but what helps me the most is eating low fat and extra fiber. Sometimes I take a cold shower and that helps, but isn't much fun. No drugs seem to help.
Hi....My daughter was in the hospital for 11 days with all these same symptoms. Her stomach would get a bit upset she would have a bowel movement and then the intense pain. Her Dr. finally prescribed a drug called Diamox which seemed to help ease the pain after the first administration and now after taking it for 3 days she is out of pain and just had a bowel movement for the 1st time in over 2 weeks without the searing pain. In addition to the Diamox she is also taking an anti depressant/muscle relaxer. Hopes this helps someone, this has been a horrible ordeal.
This happened to me two days in a row, but the stool was not loose.  It was normal and midway through, an intense headache came on and lasted for about 4 hours afterwards.  I keep a food diary for calorie intake purposes and the only correlation that I noticed between the two incidents is that I did eat spicy foods before the bowel movements.  I made sure not to eat anything spicy and had a normal one today without any headaches.  Maybe it's just me, but maybe this can help someone else.....
This is happening to me more and more frequently...It usually starts with a very uncomfortable crampy feeling in my upper stomach region, then the urge to us the BR..Loose bms so not really straining. During the bm the pounding will start, usually starts at the back of my head and the radiates all over..with this comes perfuse sweating, my face turns red and my hands get really tingly/numb, then vomiting..this can last for a whole day..anyone else with these extra symptoms?
I cant believe some responses. I think as the stool passes by the places in the intestines that are inflamed, cracked or exposed in some way to the stool itself and the stool is getting into the blood stream and the headache will stop when the stool is passed, for the most part easily the headache goes away6. I used to get a mild headache and burning in my joints and shoulder, i would go to sleep and get up later by then a large amount of poleutants would have been passed into my blood stream from the colon and the headaches made me vomit and stay in bed for days. Today when the cramp started, the burning started and a small headache began i ran to the bathroom and had a fast movement and then the headache stopped the cramp went away and no burning. I will eat yogurt and fruit and will never leave a stool there if i can help it. Please believe me.
I've been having this problem for a good 5 yrs, and so far I've only vomited once. If I wait too long to have a bm, then this agonizing headache comes on. At first it would disappear after a movement, these days it seems to get worse unless I take an advil. The pain is so intense that you can't do anything but lie down.  I read somewhere that if you're not drinking enough water this could happen. Having a bm not only puts strain on your body, but it absorbs water from you. So if you're not drinking enough water to quickly replace what you lose, this could be a problem. I'm really bad at drinking my fair share of water. I can drink juice all day, but we all know nothing replaces water. During the few times I have done the right thing, I didn't have the headaches
I am a 38 year old woman that was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis. For the most part I know my triggers, so I stay away from certain foods...but when I had a bowel movement(was not straining) I started getting hot and felt like I had to throw up...then I got this horrible pain that shot from my neck to the back of my head...the back of my head felt like it was gonna explode...WHAT IS THIS....HELP
I am 42 yr old male in pretty good health.I Have had some stomach issues for the past 2 yrs but nothing to major. Well last Friday while having a BM (no straining or pushing) I had this extreme pain up the back of my neck and then BAM...!! it feels like my head is going to explode, (head feels like is it being squeezed in a vice with somebody standing on top of my head at the same time, cold sweats and nausea. The pain on a scale of 1 thru 10 is a 12 (and I am not kidding either) the most extreme pain i have ever experienced in my life. First  am scared, very very scared. It feels like if the pain went to the next level that I would pass out and who knows if I would wake back up.. Been to the ER (that was a joke). I have an appointment with my primary doctor tomorrow. I am looking for advice on easing the pain. I refuse to have a BM, because of the pain I know is going to come back. Please Help with any advice..

Charlie Z

Hi...I know u may not feel u were straining, but u may have been and u may want to ask ur dr about a stool softener....it may help until u get more answers as u will need to evacuate ur waste or have more dire issues.

There are so many questions on ur history health wise that will help ur Dr...as well as ne injuries u may have had in the last few yrs. Try to compile a list of ne and all u can think of...in addition...to other pains or symptoms u may have had even if u do not think it may be connected...let the dr decide.

Good luck and do post an update : )

"selma"
I have been having this problem too. I was surprised to find that I wasn't the only person to have this embarrassing/weird problem. It's hard to talk to your family and friends about as they have never heard of it before. Has anyone talked to their doctor about a pinched nerve? I have degenerative disc disease and I thought they would go away after surgery to fuse my bottom 3 cervical vertebra. The b.m. headaches used to be few and far between until this last week, when I started getting them every day. I've had the disc, migraine & b.m. headaches for about 10 years. I am not straining/pushing when these b.m. headaches start either, it's always a soft stool, but I've noticed that when my stomach/intestines contract (something I don't control) is when the explosion of pain starts at the back of my head, lightening bolts over my ear to my temple and then up and over the top of my head (and sometimes back to the beginning). It doesn't happen every time I go and has never happened when I've been constipated (I take all kinds of medications for pain management that constipate me so I have to take stool softeners).  I haven't been able to sleep on my back for 10 years (because the back of my head is sensitive to pressure) and if I do I wake up with a migraine, this b.m. headache is different than any migraine. Medication (don't work very well), ice packs and laying down is all I can do and they can last anywhere from 2 hrs to 3 days and the back of my head gets even more sensitive like its bruised. On the pain scale 1 - 10, it explodes suddenly at 10+ for a couple of hours, letting up to a throbbing 6-7 all the while being nauseous, weak and worried that the pain will never stop and that this must be what an aneurysm feels like!

I went to my pain management doctor today as I was worried about having an increase in these headaches and he's sending me to a neurologist. The research I've done on the internet about the headaches started about pinched nerves in the neck causing sudden headaches, one site said C1 and C2 discs severity can contribute to bowel and bladder problems. I don't know how many here have had their MRI's & CT's done only on their brains and not their necks, no one mentioned it, I hope you get it checked. I wasn't having the b.m. headaches when I got my MRI's done. I can't have an MRI now as I have metal/titanium in my neck from previous disc removal
I'm having the same problem!  My stools are loose but they are accompanied by a build-up of gas in my system.  Right after the bulk of my stools leave my system (but before i am completely done) i get this intense throbbing headache that is intensely painful.  The first time this happened (about a week ago) the headache stayed with me for a full 24 hours and both Excedrin and Aleve did nothing to dissipate the headache.  The second just occurred this afternoon and my head is still throbbing as I type this. Scary stuff.  Has anyone been able to figure out what is going on?  I'm going to make an appointment to see my doctor, but it would be good if I could help point her in the right direction.

Hi...some have increase inter cranial hypertension and the strain can cause the HA's to occur with the BM's....

If u have additional symptoms than just the HA with strain u should ask ur Dr about a brain MRI to be able to determine the reason for the pain.

I pray u get answers soon

"selma"
the heaches are very severe for me also.  i've tried different meds including vicodine, which did nothing for the pain.  i had a friend recommend marijuana.   Has anyone tried this?  yes i'm this desperate.  i've never done drugs before, but i can't deal with this pain.  my pain also started with bw. once my pain starts, I can't be sexually active, because it intesify's my pain.  this headaches has lasted over 48 hours.  I am seeing my doctor today.  I will give an update later. please help anyone.
Thank goodness that I have found all of you!  This problem has plagued me throughout the week.  The only thing that I can attribute it to is the fact that I ate a lot of flesh protein (chicken) and a pizza full of cheese and no sauce on the same day that it started.  I am a former vegetarian, but not now.  However, I hadn't really had any flesh protein or animal based protein for awhile and then I over did it.  I am still eating poorly, and not sticking to foods that will flush me out.  Will I ever learn?  This headache and bowel movement combination is horrible!
My remedy for the headache, by the way, is two Advil and turning on the hot water in the bath tub and have it pound onto the part of my head that hurts.  Heat gets rid of headaches for me.  I also put tiger balm on my forehead.  The heat penetrates and helps a lot.  Sorry that you all are suffering!
Never had this problem before, but it happened 4 times this week....and am having the pounding headache right now.  Walked into the bathroom absolutly fine, within minutes there was an incredible pain that started at the back of the neck on the left side, then moved to the ear and temple area with incredible pounding as if it were going to explode.  Most intense pain EVER!  After taking an Excediran Migrane (migraine) pill, the pain has lessed but not gone.  Also have ear pain, all on the left side.  Now, after reading all of these posts, I realize I am not alone.  Am curoius though, I believe I have a couple of small hemeroids, and wonder if there may be a connection.  I know I don't drink enough water and will definitly increase my water intake after reading alot of these posts.  I almost asked my husband to take me to the hospital, it was that bad.  But after the pain lessend, I researched the internet and no one has any real answers why this occurs.  If anyone has a definite cure/medication/helpful knowledge, please post....I don't want to keep going through this everytime I visit the throne!

Hi...many times the HA with strain can be a sign that something else is wrong...do see a NL and have a MRI to rule  out possible issues.

Please let us know what u find out

"selma"
So glad to have found this thread.  Today I literally thought I was going to die in my bathroom at work.  The pain is just unimaginable.  My stool also was loose.  I had been having stomach cramps for a few days, feeling like it was maybe a stomach virus.  This has only happened to me one other time and it was preceded by stomach cramps.  I am a 44 year old female and I do not have health insurance, so if someone finds a significant answer PLEASE post it.  My husband too looks at my like I am crazy when I try to explain it to him. I am not on ANY other medications, no back problems, in general a pretty healthy person. HELP!!!!

Hi...there can be a few diff reasons...have ur BP checked.,and a MRI is a way to get to the root of the issue.

With out insurance, all I can suggest is u look into getting some...PICP.gov is a good place to check out.

But if this only happened a few times and was accompanied with loose stool, it could be stress related. Do see a PCP at least.

"selma"
Please try drinking lots of water! Dehydration is a possible culprit.  For weeks I have been waking up in the morning with intense headaches and a very sore, stiff neck that last thoughout the day.  I also have digestive issues that include intermittent constipation and loose bowels. I started taking organic corn husk psyllium to help.  I THOUGHT I was drinking enough water, but apparently I was not.  I woke up again this morning with another bad headache/neck pain.  I just drank a few tall glasses of water and immediately felt relief!

Hope this helps someone!
Yesterday at work, just randomly felt a small stomach cramp, went to the restroom and BAM that terrible headache..This time much, much worse. It really scared me.  Instead of going away in 10-20 mins, it put me in the bed for the rest of the night. Today I feel like I have a hangover, tired, my head is very sore....My only opposition to going to the dr. is seeing these posts where nothing has ever been found out other than a diagnosis of tension headaches...I have no insurance and really cant afford to go to the doctor, but in the same sense, dont want to die either....Glad to know Im not the only one though

Hi this can be resolved but it all depends on if ur issue is HA from straining while having a BM not just a HA afterward. Does ur HA strike when straining?

How about laughing, coughing,yelling.....?
Yesterday was the fourth one in 2 weeks. Usually I have no prior symptoms when it comes.  I have always had an issue with GERD...acid reflux, so I am uses to stomach issues, but this is way different.  I am never straining when it happens, my stomach is cramping(not painfully at first) I go to the bathroom and as I begin to have a loose bm I can feel it coming on, it creeps up the back of my neck and then literally explodes in my head and it the worst migraine I have ever experienced.  I have had migraines since I was 18 years old, but have not have any in years until this has happened...yesterday was way more intense than the other three and my family is really on me to go to a dr, but when you dont have insurance it isnt that easy....any help would be so greatly appreciated

Hi....well since u have a history of migraines....u deaf should go to a dr. A MRI would be best of the brain and cervical spine.

Also take note of ur BP....it could play a role....

U may want to look into PICP.org for ins......

"selma"
Again, like the rest of you, I am glad to have found all these posts. More so, that I am not alone. My headaches start right before I even get into the bathroom for the BM, so straining has nothing to do with this. It begins over my eyes with a deep pain and then by the time its over, my head is pounding like my eyes are going to pop out of my head. This lasts for at least 20 minutes, but the after affects drain me for some time, including having nausea for hours. I took a laxative prior to the last two times this happened and went a few days without a BM. Like some of you, I am now scared to have a BM in fear of this pain, which makes me feel like I'm going to die. I am a 44 year old female and my husband does the same thing. He feels so helpless. I definitely don't drink a lot of water. If we all could find a common denominator in this maybe we could figure it out. Do any of you drink a lot of water? I also probably don't have my daily share of fiber. How about the rest of you? Maybe its all in our diets. Just reaching for answers.
Have you found out something about your wife's headache, they are treating me like a psychiatric patient now and have had a headache for almost two months. I am afraid to go to the bathroom or eat, lost 20 pounds, took everything for it. Blodd pressure crazy, feel like I am dying. Need help! anything?
Glad to find this site but sad for no definitive answer. I had my first headache like this on October 2, since then it has been a roller coaster with no end in sight. Episodes of terrible headhaches and then a dull headache that never goes away. Roller coaster BP, terrible muscle spasm, colitis, fecal impactation, all signs are ok, had a Brain ct scan, Stress test for the heart, Abdominal ultrasound, X rays, Abdominal ct scan and nothing?????? went to the Shrink, and the pain is still there. have taken pain medicines, muscle relaxers seem to work ok for a while, physical therapy, excersises, and always when I have a BM feel like a big bulge en between the rectum and the sigmoid colon. Then the pain stars to go up almos instantaneously unless I stop having a bowel movement. Even with strong laxatives and enemas. I am unable to work or think straigh and starting having panick attacks. For what I see most of us are women, have somebody check and endocrinologist or a gastroenterologist? has anybody been cured since this post started in 2008?

Hi...I found my HA's were the cause  of a congenital condition I also had- Chiari malformation...and I had surgery...post op I only get the HS's occasionally and found taking a magnesium and probitoic supplement helps.

Talk to ur GI or PCP about this.

Good luck
   "selma"
I hope this is heplful to someone.  November 7, 2011 was the first time this happened to me - intense, pounding headache during bowel movement.  During the middle of the bm the pain crept up the left side of the back of my neck and with every heartbeat pulsed into my head, primarily on the left side.  It was so intense I was afraid to move, grimace, make a noise or anything and I was pretty certain that my time had come.  I got down to the floor as soon as I could and lay in the bathroom floor trying to breathe slowly and think through the pain.  I have a very high tolerance to pain and can usually talk myself (think myself, that is) through and over pain.  I have pretty normal bm's a couple of times a week but every once in awhile I have some crampy bm's about every ten to twelve days that literally make me feel hot and a little nauseated, crampy in the top of my stomach and I have pain in my lower back sort of like labor pains.  Once the bm is over, I am pretty much okay within a few minutes.  I laid in the floor of the bathroom for about 30 minutes, then slowly got up and found the nearest bottle of ibuprofen and took four 200mg tablets.  I was fully-recouperated within about an hour and 20 minutes.  I thought that perhaps this was a one-time thing and didn't really think about it again - I did tell my husband and my co-workers jokingly that I thought I had blown and anuerysm.  Everything I ate the rest of the day on Monday I thought ... hmmm, this HAS to come out and I wondered if it would happen again.  I don't have headaches often and when I did, it was usually during my period (which I haven't had in four years due to Mirena!!! :).  Anyway, Tuesday rolled around and I ate a chicken breast salad around 11:30am, normal sized portions, and by noon I was on the toilet with crampy bm - let me be clear about this too - NO STRAINING, none at all.  Within a few seconds of passing the bm the headache did the same thing as on Monday, the day before - began slowly up the left side of my neck into the left side of the back of my head but this time it flooded across the top of my head and over my forehead.  I hit the floor asap and stayed down for at least 35 minutes, then found the ibuprofen and took four again.  Within about an hour and 20 mins, like on Monday, I felt fully-recouperated.  Both episodes happened at work (coincidentally, no bm's at home Monday or Tuesday, but at work, after lunch).  I noticed also on Tuesday while I was laying on the bathroom floor that the toilet was taller than mine at home - it is a handicapped bathroom so I thought maybe just maybe because my feet don't touch the floor that maybe I was cutting something off on this particular toilet.  Let me also mention we moved to this new location in June and I have used this toilet numerous times with no previous problem, but I thought it could be a problem and worth considering.  So on Tuesday after this had happened the second time, I called my doctor's office who couldn't see me until Thursday.  I went ahead and scheduled an appointment and asked them to call me if any cancellations were called in.  So Wednesday rolled around and AGAIN, third time, at work, same scenario, same everything.  I stopped eating after lunch on Tuesday and hadn't had anything to eat on Wednesday but still produced a bm that day with the same scenario.  So Wednesday I felt a little panicky about this headache and not eating (usually I am a little bit hypoglycemic and have to eat a little something every four - five hours - I sort of graze with no huge meals usually.  So on Wednesday, after the THIRD incident, I called the dr's office and asked again if there had been any cancellations.  None.  I really did not want to go to another dr or to the emergency room.  This doctor has been treating me since 2003 and knew me and my medications.  I am pretty healthy and moderately active 42 year old female - two grown children in their 20's.  My usual medications are low dose Effexor for mild depression since a death close to me in 2003 and Meloxicam for knee arthritis.  I have taken these meds since 2003 with no trouble so I am sure it isn't the meds I currently take.  I take supplements too, Vitamind D3 5,000 units cholecalciferol (I was deplete), Magnesium and Omega 3-6-9.  So Thursday rolled around and I had not eaten anything (other than coffee, water and diet Dr. Pepper) since Tuesday.  I explained everything to my dr (he is young and very intuitive and intelligent - his father was a dr, his wife is a dr - you really get more than just HIM when you see him).  He had me go over in detail the headache and where and how it starts.  He decided to give me an injection (not sure if it was lidocaine or cortizone) in the left muscle on the back of my neck at the base of my skull to 'unlock' the muscle is the term he used.  It didn't hurt at all - he sprayed my skin/muscle (sorta in my hairline) with really cold liquid that evaporated and he immediately gave the injection in that spot.  Because I am a needle freak, after it was over (like 10 seconds is all it took) I felt flush, hot and fainty (I have never fainted but am guessing that is what I was feeling).  He made me lie down and he got me a small cup of orange juice to bring my sugar up since I hadn't eaten in a couple of days.  I lay still for about ten minutes and was better shortly thereafter. To make a long story short - sorry, but I felt the details above were necessary, he said he believed that (forgive the spelling) I was having a Vasovagal Response - not syncope because I wasn't getting to the passout stage.  We all have a nerve called the Vagal nerve that runs from our brains throughout our body, through our abdomen and into our colons.  He further elaborated that during a bm we do a Vasalva Maneuver - the best I could understand is that is when you sort of stop and hold your breath for a few seconds to either push or just to get through the bm.  Even when you do not strain, if you pay attention to yourself, you do hold your breath or press or push a little.  I think the Vasalva is actually the contraction your intestines does to press the bm out.  SO - an answer, but not really an answer.  The trigger to the headache is the bm .... but why?  So, he said the injection would unloosen (unlock) the muscle that was cutting blood flow which was causing the headache and why I was feeling the intense headache with each pulse/heartbeat.  Then, he gave me Baclofen 10mg - take half in the morning, half in the evening.  He believed that this would relieve the problem of the headache during the bm.  He told me it may go away just as quickly as it came on, or it might be something that I have to simply live with until it EVER stops.  I wasn't crazy about this idea AND taking a muscle relaxer until whenever.  So Thursday I saw the dr, got the injection, started the Baclofen late in the day and only took half of the tablet.  I pretty much felt no difference so I wasn't worried about driving to work the next morning.  I took another half Baclofen the next morning at work after driving in.  I knew I would be in one place and not drive again for another 9 hours.  So ... I ate a little Thursday night, trusting that the dr, because HE was so convinced he had fixed things, I ate (not alot), but I ate.  So then Thursday morning, I ate a very small breakfast.  So, around noon, I sorta felt that little crampy feeling again, like it was time for a small bm and I go to the bathroom and dammit, there is that headache AGAIN.  I was soooo upset because I was almost convinced, just like my doctor, he had fixed the culprit (being the neck muscle in my neck).  I laid in the floor for 45 mins. and then took four ibuprofen.  I was back to okay within and hour and 20 or so mins. from the time the bm/headache started.  I called the dr's office and somehow missed him and got his on-call dr.  I explained to him what was going on and he said to take ibuprofen (four 200 mg.) 3x per day.  
cont'd, sorry ...

and he instructed me to take the full 10mg Baclofen in the morning and again in the evening.  So, Friday rolled around and I had a successful bm with no headached ... and this was after the injection in my neck, 24 hrs. with half Baclofen in the a.m., then half in the evening, then a full day of 10mg Baclofen in the a.m. and another in the evening.  Before this bm I had been reading up on how we were really meant to SQUAT - I KNOW, crazy, but OUR design is for a squatting bowel movement and our westernized toilets are actually a seated position, which is apparently not natural.  I was reading more about Vasalva Maneuvers and apparently Mr. Vasalva, many, many, many decades ago, figured out that when this maneuver is performed (the actual holding of the breath while pushing), WHILE ON THE TOILET, was causing heart attacks.  It seems the Vagal nerve controls alllllll of that and is affected by the Vasalva Maneuver (sitting on the toilet, holding breath while pushing) and some poor folks' hearts are affected.  I know this is TMI to understand and I don't get it either, but somehow it is ALL connected.  So, all said, I have had only that ONE successful bm and while was happening, I was super-vigilant about breathing slowly and continuing my breath and not pressing or pushing at all....when you are more aware of the bm, you can actually tell when your intestines are doing the work instead of you pressing or pushing (even if you aren't straining).  I hope somehow this information helps.  I really feel like the muscle injection in the neck, the muscle relaxer and breathing intentionally carefully and continually and slowly through the bm (which was more normal and not loose at all) helped me not have that headache.  I have also learned that you don't want to sit any longer than necessary on the toilet.  Once I was finished, I got up immediately, walked slowly to my couch and sat, literally, waiting for the headache which never came.  I was so happy and elated.  I still don't have much of an appetite and am being careful and not overeating .... I will repost soon after my next bm, which will be tonight or tomorrow .... I am not happy about possibly having to take the muscle relaxer forever.  My plan of action is to get through maybe three successful no-headache-bms and then cut back to 1/2 table twice a day for a few days, then down to 1/2 table, then none at all and see if I am back to pre-November 7th no-headache-bms.

Anyone who has any information or any kind of diagnosis from their doctor, please post.  If I have another headache, my doctor is going to do an array of tests to make sure there isn't something else going on.  
Interesting comment, I have heard from a lot of doctors that this is a vagal reflex, it has happened to me during sex also, not only while on the throne. Have you ever checked your blood pressure when you are having these headaches, my BP goes really high and then comes down again. My cardiologist told me I was having adrenergic ups while this happened and put me on metroprolol which controlled my blood pressure. But basically since October 2 I have this dull headache and shoulder and neck pain which won't go away. Not with strong pain killers like Ketorolac and diclofenac, Metamizole, etc. I have taken so much that my kidneys and liver started to suffer, so I am really carful not to take them unless the pain is really killing me, the muscle relaxer I am taking is orphenadrine, and it helps but still no full relief. Also I am taking rivutril to help me sleep and not get the headaches while I am sleeping. So now I am a walking pharmacy, blood pressure medication, stuff for my stomach of taking so many pills, muscle relaxer shots, pain medication and gels (ketoprofen gel for my neck), and now I am constipated so I am taking laxatives and anti cholinergics for colon pain. I am unable to work, think, perform at all. I was sent to the shrink for panick attacks, I can't eat because I am afraid to get so full of fecal matter again, go to the bathroom and have a BM and start the cycle all over again. Lost 20 pounds already. All because a vagal reflex...this is new to me But my life has become unbearable. Drinking water like crazy, ufff! the neurologist say I don't have anything in my brain. The cardiologist say my heart is fine, after stoped taking so many meds my kidneys are coming back to normal, but the freaking headache and neck are still there.
Reporting back ... had a bm today with no headache.  I am not sure if it is the 10 mg Baclofen in the a.m. and the 10 mg Baclofen in the p.m. that is helping the headache.  I really started to pay close attention to my breathing habits durina bm ... I have started relaxing and breathing continuously through the bm instead of holding my breath and pushing a little (not a strain).  I spoke with my doctor today and reported the past two bm's as being headache free and my breathing and concentration on breathing slowly through it and the absense of the headache.  He believes that the breathing and avoidance of the Valsalva Maneuver is what has helped me and I am backing down off the Baclofen over the next few days.  My doctor believes that I must have strained my neck somehow or did something to aggravate the muscles that are aroung the vagal (vagus) nerve.  Even though I had no pain in my neck at all, I definitely felt the headache come on by it crawling/moving up the left side of my neck and exploding into my head  He believes that the muscle became knotted and tight and that would cause the blood flow restriction and a then the headache - a tension/exertion headache.  We haven't come to a definitive conclusion as to why it happened, but the injection in the neck and the muscle relaxer and breathing exercises seem to be working .... will report back once off Baclofen.  
No...not sure what my blood pressure was but was no doubt high due to my immediate anxiety over such a bad headache.  It sounds like you are on a medication roller coaster - a pill to turn it on, a pill to turn it off.  Honestly, I would be too if I weren't so lucky that this current treatment is working.  I, like you, would be willing to take or do anyting the doctor suggests to get rid of the headache.  I hope you find relief.  If I figure out exactly what caused my vagal nerve response I will repost.  
I have found an interesting thread which may not seem related as it has to do with vagal response and arrhythmia/heart palpatations ... I just think this is all connected somehow and maybe this will help someone.  http://*****.*****************.com/post-neurology-questions-f6/arrhythmia-caused-vagus-nerve-t396.html

this happened to me a month after my first baby was born and now again a month after my second baby. it happens with diahrea which is almost every time i go now and while i am going its a pulsating throbbing migraine with throbbing into the left side of my neck that makes me vomit or feel like vomiting, i feel better after i finish but the headache sticks around for a while. its horrible, it seems to coincide with my hormones somehow since i think my first period is starting like last pregnancy, it may be related to a drastic drop in estrogen. i think the birthcontrol pill helped last time but that i only took briefly then i got pregnant soon after and had no more problems until now.
Wow, I have had these the last two mornings during a bm and see I am not alone.  It also happned during sex, which was the most intense one I had since I tried to ingore it as long as possible.  The pain is unreal!  All I can do is lay down and agonize, it really *****.  Feels like something was very wrong.  The intense pain last about 30 minutes then it lingers for hours, more so on the left side of my head.   I am a male that just turned 40 and am in good shape.  I see a lot of your are in your 40s.  Hmm, its all starting huh??   Never had migraines and drink a ton of water.  Seems like it happens to a lot of us, but unfortunatlly not many solutions or answers.  
I am glad I found this site knowing I probably won't die, but sad that others have to go through this.  I have a very high tolerance for pain, but absolutely have to lie down when this happens.  Not that it relieves it, but I just feel kind of helpless.  It's happened three times in the last 3 days, twice in the am during a bm, and once during sex.  Intense for 30min and lingers for hours on the left side!!   I am supposed to have a date tonight and am concerned that there may be no boom boom;)  I am praying it that it is a sinus/tension headache combined cuz that vagal nerve thing sounds like a whole new headache.  Good luck all, I was hoping to see more happy endings posted.  
I have headaches all the time after pooping, yelling, being startled, or anything that gets my heart going faster.  Ive had mri's and they showed demylination.  I was told to c a neurologist.  I dont have the $$ to do that and its been getting worse.  Its been over 3 years now.  what can u tell me about this?
Mine have gone away for now.
hello all good to know im not loosing my mind. i have had 3 attacks in the past week and am just miserable. primariy dr gave me maxalt and reglan, reglan supposed to help with vasospasm. reglan helped a little but no relief w/ maxalt???today new script for imitrek...lets pray. i can see why some people want to commit suicide when they are in that much pain. i keep rotating advil, tylenol, and flexril for my neck pain. cant see neurologists till 2/7 which *****! if anyone else has any suggestions please post. I am 4 month post op for a Csection. dr seemed to think it could be stress or hormonal, but last attack i was no longer on my peroid. this is so frustrating, of course you think the worse...stroke, bld vessel spasm, anueurysm??? will keep you posted! heres hoping!!!
YES! The splitting headaches were bad at first, but I have had this problem for two years, now it has gotten to the point that EVERY morning I go to the bathroom and what used to be 15 or 20 mins of pure misery has graciously turned into 2 hours on average. Puking, feeling like I am dying! I cry at night because I dread the morning so bad. I currently don't eat anything but raw veggies. I am literally starving, because I am so afraid to use the bathroom.
I have been experiencing headaches on right side of my temple and behind my eye after a morning BM. I have never been one to have headaches but have has bowel problems and digestive problems my whole life. This just started about a week ago. Every morning a BM and then a headache. Glad I found this site.  I have been considering a doc visit but I have to find a new one since my doc quite 6 mths ago and I haven't sought a new one.  Mine last a few hours but go away with tylenol. Still it worries me. I have tried breathing exercises to help. It really does when passing stool but still I get these nagging headaches.  I am starting on stool softener and probiotics today to see if it  helps...will keep ya all posted.  
I too had this happen to me , except I was straining. It  started with burning pain in the middle of my gut( most likely gallbladder) and then when I had the Bm, the pain felt like a vein in the left side of my head had exploded. That was 2 nights ago and it's still throbbing a little.  I've had these headaches before during a hard Bm but they always went away as soon as I was done. I do believe the vagal nerve is the culprit, I've just recently found out about it and upon reading a little bit found out why I had been having fainting spells from the time I was a child to a young adult. I haven't had a fainting spell since I was 21 yrs old but I have learned what triggers them and also my blood pressure which was always extremely low when I was young is now high which I suspect keeps me from fainting.  I had 2 Bms since the headache the other night and I have done what the other woman said, I took fiber, relaxed , didn't push, and breathed slowly. I did not get another headache. But I am still sore from the other night. I am still a little worried that maybe something ruptured in my head( silly as it may seem). I can't believe their are so many people that this has happened to.
I reaaly didn't expect to find such a blog when I searched "bowel movement headache"  I am glad to know I am not alone.   My headaches started about 4 months ago.  I was home alone with my 4 year old and was scared thinking about how I would get to the ER with her or that she would have to call 911.  The first headache pssed in about an hour (I was able to lie down in bed and put Disney Jr on to keep my daughter occupied).  Another headache the next day at work but less intense so  I went to my Dr and had a cat scan which came back fine.  My pain actually seems to travel up my spine and into my head.  As many of you have posted, it feels like my head is going to explode, it is the most intense pain I have ever experienced.  I had been headache free for a while but they started again a few days ago.  I did go to the Dr again yesterday and he said I have a sinus infection and irritated ear drums that were likely causing the headaches.  Last night the pain was so intense that I ened up vomiting.  This morning though I got a headache without a BM, and it seemed to be triggered by a sudden exposure to cold air when I stepped out onto my porch, weird.  This headache also brought on vomiting.  I am also not the best at keeping my water consumption up.  After reading the posts here, I will try to drink more water and concentrate on my breathing on the throne.  I also put my winter hat on today in the house, don't know if it is really helping ro not.  Good luck to everyone.  
I have had exertion headaches with BM's for as long as I can remember.  My mom says that when I was little I would hold my bm's to avoid the headache, but that caused constipation which made the whole problem worse.  Recently my headaches have intensified.  Now when having a bm, the headache comes on so strong that my head starts involuntarily twitching on my neck.  Like a tic of some sort.  It's starting to scare me.  I am used to the headache, but this pain is even worse.  And, like many of you, this is happening when I am having loose stools with severe cramping.  Thankfully my headaches don't last long, like some of you, but I am completely exhausted afterwards.  I know I need an MRI, my mother had an idiopathic brain bleed and nearly died - this was preceded by a severe headache.  Unfortunately, without insurance I just can't afford it.
I am in the middle of dealing with an episode of CLUSTER HEADACHES (suicide headaches)....comes on mostly at the same time of day and cannot be stopped.  It can be lessened by pure oxygen from a non-rebreathing mask set at 8 (l/m).  My dr has me on prednisone and verapamil (although my health is good,  good pb).  Anyway, I just googled 'cluster headaches bowel movement' b/c I see a tie-in to some of my off cycle attacks.  I wonder if one causes the other.  during attacks my one eye and nostril swells.  afterwards, i feel like I did a brain workout with an elephant on top.  Hoping to be ending my cycle soon.  This is the forth or fifth cycle in about 10 years and I;m only 48.  CK OUT OXYGEN for relief!!!  (not spell checked)
I too, am so glad I found this thread....but I just can't believe there is no more medical information concerning this siutation and possible cures!  It is evident that this a true disease/issue/something horrible that happens to many people.  when it first happened to me, I truly thought I was dying, and was waiting for God to take me home.  the headache was so bad last Wednesday that I ended up in the ER.  I had an MRI today, and should find out the results tomorrow....I drink a ton of water, so I really don't think that could be one of the causes.... can't we all get in a medical study or Something to maybe get some relief?!?!?!
I have the same problem and don't know why. It could be a condition about to happen and the body is trying to tell her something. She has no symptoms  now but she probably need to examine things like her weight, diet, calcium and general well being and daily habits. I do find some relief when I gently press down on the top of my head or my temples when the throbbing pain starts, it calms it down. I Hope things get better for her, be well.
i had the live x-ray injections in my back about 3 days prior to having the same thing happen to me, i thought i was having an annurism, the pain shot up over my head like lightening strikes, and hurt as bad as being struck by lightening, after about 45 minutes, it was gone, now, i tgoo am afraid to go to the bathroom. i had a ct scan done the next day  and the said everything was normal...
Hello to everyone,
         i would first like to say THANK YOU to all of the people who have read my thread and called me with question's regarding to their very own problem's with the INTENSE HEADACHE'S that seem to be accompanied either with or by something as simple as a regular bowel movement. As I said in the comment I made on Dec.06,2009 my wife had her very  first of what I called the ATTACK'S when she just simply got up off of our bed where she and I were just sitting there  watching TV and went to the bathroom where she just out of nowhere let out one of THE MOST HORRIFIC SCREAM's I had ever heard my wife do,An mind you I hope I never have to hear it again, For neither those REALLY BAD Headaches or anything else.now as I first mentioned in this comment I thanked all of the people who have read my first comment and called me with Question's regarding to problem's that they themselves have been having regarding the Bad Headaches that just came outta NOWHERE while they were having a regular bowel movement, Just yesterday I had a nice guy named Eric from North Carolina call me and ask me If we had eer gotten any answer's as to what or why these headaches just seem to show up outta nowhere,And If I might have any answer's  as to what he might be able to do to help stop them or maybe dull the pain....Im sorry to say I don't have a quick fix, But GUY's I REALLY REALLY WISH I DID!!! I can't say I know what you guy's are going through on a Personal leval as far as how bad it really does hurt, However I do know how hard it is to sit and watch the person you love scream in agony and there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING you can do to help them....The Only thing I had for Eric and all of the other's that I have spoken with about this is if all else has failed and you have not had any IV Fluid's during all of this (( PLEASE TRY IT )) That is the ONLY ONLY ONLY thing that helped my wife AT ALL was something as simple as a few bags of IV FLUIDS.She had MRI's CAT Scan's and ALL OF THEM SHOWED NOTHING WRONG!!!! I think in fact that y wife as SEVERELY DEHYDRATED even though she drank bottle's of water one right behind the other, Folk's just because you think you drink A LOT of water...DOESN"T Mean that you aren't, or CAN"T GET DEHYDRATED!!!!!! Trust me I KNOW I have been there!!!! she went through three weeks of this and through all of the pain med's and scan's Nothing worked accept several bags of IV fluids....I hope this helps someone, and again If I can be of ANY HELP by maybe just answering a few question's, I DON"T MIND SPEAKING WITH YOU...AT ALL....If you feel you are at your road's end and have no other option's PLEASE GIVE ME A CALL,and I will answer any question's you may have If I have the correct answer's...GOOD LUCK to all of you that are suffering this Horrific illness...mt home phone number is 478-892-3288..If I do not answer call me back later..Keep trying and I WILL answer sooner or later....Thanks Guy's....R.Wade Johnson II  Eastman Georgia.
PLEASE HELP ANYONE WHO KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT THESE INTENSE HEADACHES!!!! My wife has never had headaches like this, compares this headache as more intense than giving birth with potosin and no epidural. She had some headaches like this about this time last year while having a bm. she is 23 now, she's waking up in the middle of night with these headaches, they are occuring during any type of bm, but not every bm, just a majority of them. they last 30 minutes with horrible pain, and another 30 min to 1.5 hrs of dull throbbing. she has a sensitivity to sound, light, and posture. it starts on the right side of her head, gradually increases with the throbbing, and explodes throughout the enitre right side of her head and neck. i've tried doing research on this and the only thing that comes close are headaches called cluster headaches, but nothing i've found has anything to do with a bm. she's taken a perscription called maxalt-mlt to relieve the headache, she is also on antidepresents called effexor-xr and buse bar, last year she was on prozac. I NEED HELP AND ANSWERS!!, IF THERE IS A DOCTOR WHO KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT THIS, STUDYING THIS OR ANYTHING RELATED PLEASE RESPOND, ANYONE WHO HAS FOUND ANY RELIEF PLEASE RESPOND!!!
i'm a 24 male, i've had an intense headache come on while i was having sex 3 times in my life, 2 times in my mid teens, but never when having a bm, i've felt that it was the increase in blood pressure, that caused the headaches and asprin seemed to relieve them, my wife is currently suffering from the bm headaches and waking up with them.
I have had migraines for a while now and I am constantly watching for triggers of these headaches. I recently ate oatmeal (full of fiber)  and believe that it caused me to become dehydrated from all of the fiber absorbing the liquid in my intestines. Being constipated or just having a lot of pressure on my intestines (consuming too much fiber or over eating)  causes my migraines. This oatmeal episode landed me in the ER two days in a row becasue my migraine meds were not working and I didnt fully recover until I passed that large dehydrated stool.
My recommendation for other sufferers is to eat fruits and vegetables on a regular basis and drink plenty of water to avoid the dehydration problem like I have. I have read that the reccomended amount of water to drink is half of your weight in ounces. I baught a water bottle that has ounces listed on the side of the bottle so I can keep track of my water intake. For example I weigh 125 so I drink about 60 oz of water per day. This is in addition to juices and I avoid things that make me dehydrated like soda or alcohol. Good luck out there, i feel you pain, litterally!
Like most of the posts here I have experienced the same severe headaches during and after BMs. Once two weeks ago, which i put down to an unusual coincidence and then yesterday. That is when I googled....! I also felt like this was going to kill me on the toilet of all places!
I am a 47 year old man and in reasonably good health. I drink plenty of water daily, eat a varied diet but nothing planned. Sounds like the various scans don't seem to give any answers. i will still go to the doc as i have insurance here in Thailand where I have lived for ten years and maybe the medical community here may have some idea. I will post an update. In the meantime, keep breathing deeply and slowly as I am sure this alleviates the magnitude of the experience, in my limited experience that is. Regards...
After re reading the thread and spending some time considering it, I have concluded that a more careful review is needed to evaluate the probability that the primary problem is irritation or inflammation of the vagus nerve, incident to strain in the lower abdomen during bowel movement. Once the nerve is over stimulated, excited, or inflamed it may send signals to the brain which are perceived as strong pain.

If this model of the condition is correct, then a dual course of action would be indicated. Nutritional support of the nervous system through foods and supplements - folate, B12, and others - would be one. Anti inflammatory medications directed at reducing inflammation of the nerve sheath might also be indicated if such exist. The second course of action is to reduce the possibility of additional excitement, stimulation, or damage to the vagus nerve in the lower abdomen. That can be done by ensuring that we are never dehydrated, and that we consume large volumes of fiber such as flax seed, rice bran, oat bran or oatmeal, psyllium, fiber rich vegetables, and the like. The larger the bolus in the large intestine the easier it is for the bowel to move it, and the less strain will be put on it.

It's only a theory, but it's based on my personal experience and success in eliminating this and other painful conditions from my life, and from a moderately careful re reading of this extended discussion. I hope a medical professional with the necessary competencies and open mind will carefully consider this proposed model and advise us whether it may be useful.
Hi,I think you are the first person that explain more specific this problem.. I have this throbbing headache for months, after use the restroom, even if I laugh.  I went to my doctor and Ct Scan but everything was fine. He referred me to a neurology.  Now I am taking propranolol daily, that help me a lot but ultimately I have problem with my vision, sometimes I have like small pieces of glasses in my vision for about 20 minutes then my vision its clean but my eyes hurt, or at night when I am sleeping I can see as lightning when I open my eyes my hurts. Even with the pills I am having headaches but not so strong, and sometimes dizziness. Most of the time I feel tired. I just want to sleep but take me some hours to fall asleep. If I do some exercises I feel that I am dying, I hate to feel this.  Any idea?            (sorry for my English)
Hi Shabbyshopen, I just logged in and was reading some of the more recent comments regarding the Headaches related to Bowel movements, My main reason for looking today is because I had another guy who is from Arizona I think call me Earlier today and was asking me if I had any idea how he could get some sort of relief from his headaches that had started just last week while he was in fact having a bowel movement.I have now had no less than 16 or 17 individual's who in fact ( Are/have Been ) suffering from this same problem, After listening to each and Every one of these people tell me what they have been going through it brought back those OH TOO PAINFUL memories of that HORRIBLE month that my wife had to endure the Most Horrible pain she had Ever been through,She said it was Even worse than child birth!! She went through Several MRI's and Cat Scan's, Everything we could have possibly done. The One and ONLY thing that never got done was a Spinal Tap to check for MENINGITIS..which is something that Ginger ( My wife ) had once back in 2004 or 2005, but the Dr. was CERTAIN that she didn't have meningitis just by looking at her. Which I thought was SUPER STUPID!!! Cause the ER DOc that found it the first time said there it NO was she has meningitis cause her spinal fluid is WAY WAY too clear, But guess what???? After her results came back from the lab it was Perfectly clear that she HAD Viral meningitis which THANK GOD is the Lesser of the TWO EVIL's of the Meningitis strains!!! she finally got over it AFTER a Full week of IV Antibiotics..And VERY strong one's st that...Any way To make this LONG story short...The ONLY and i mean the ONLY thing that helped my wife in the LEAST bit which turned out to be THE ABSOLUTE BEST results was the fact that they began giving her IV FLUIDS!!! After all of the test's and un needed CRAP all she REALLY NEEDED was some FLUIDS cause she had gotten SEVERLEY DEHYDRATED, And we kept telling the DR's that Ginger drinks NO LESS than 1 gallon of Water nothing but WATER EVERY DAY!!!. BUT WE quickly learned that even if you drink 5 gallons of water daily, You can STILL get Dehydrated!!! So She was admitted into Taylor Regional Hospital on December 22 2009 and given Fluids from the time she was put into her room until December 24,2009. When Ginger went into the hospital she was DEATHLY and I mean this MOST SINCERELY SHe was ON DEATH"S DOOR,ANd I knew at this point and time that she was either about to get better or I was going to be saying my final Goodbys to the Love of my life,And that was NOT what I was Prepared to do at that time nor will I EVER be prepared for that moment, My wife's Dr. told me that EVERY CHANCE I had to SPEED UP the amount of Fluids that she was getting, Meaning that I was too open up the IV PUMp as FAST as It would Possibly pump the fluids into her even if the Nurses and Dr's on site didn't want it done in that way. So I quickly  educated myself on the IV pump in my wife's room and EVERY time the Nurses came in I turned it down,but when they left I PUMPED IT RIGHT BACK up too FULL VOLUME!!! And FOLKS believe me or not,Within just a few hours my wife began to get some color back to her face,She was more focused and she actually felt like sitting up and talking to me,And in a normal conversational way,not all slurred like she was!! not to mention that she was having to get outta bed and go to the toilet every few minutes because I had that IV Fluid going in so damn fast!!!, But it was helping her, I could REALLY REALLY tell it was helping her,Which was ALL I was concerned about at that point and time!!! By Late December 23,2009 she was wanting to eat and get up to walk around in the hall. And the Next morning December 24,2009 after her going through Gosh I don't even remember how many bags of Fluids that I pushed through her when the DR. came in the morning of the 24,of 2009 He was STUNNEd at how good she looked,he even ask if she wanted to go home since it was Christmas Eve,And she said HELL yeah I wanna go home!! So we went home and she didn't have a headache,NOT even a SMALL one. She felt so good and wanted to eat..People,those of you that DO read this IF you are having issues like this PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE before you have any MAJOR test's performed that might cost you a ton of $$$$$ MAKE the DR. give you s couple bags of IV FLUIDS first.TRUST me if this DON"T help you in the slightest bit,then it's NOT gonna help you AT ALL,but I just feel that EVERY person I have spoken with Personally could//would benefit from getting some IV Fluids to Stave off those MAJOR Headaches while having a Bowel movement. If your NOT familiar with WHy it is your getting this pain while having a BM,it's due to the LACk of SPINAL FLUID on your Brain. If your Spinal fluid has Dropped in the SMALLEST.TINIEST Bit,Well then your GONNA HAVE A WHOPPER OF A HEADACHE!!! Also I ask that you Google the word (( CHIARI MALFORMATION ))..this is a type of malformation of the back of the skull where the brain drops down into the very base of the Skull and Stops up the tiny hole that the Spinal Fluid from flowing in and out of the skull, The Spinal fluid is the SHOCK absorber for the brain,it keeps our brain from getting turned into mush and from getting knocked around on the sides of the skull!!! and when we lose just a Couple of SMALL DROPS of this fluid it will and DOES CAUSE you to have a HORRIBLE HEADACHE!!! There is such a thing called spinal fluid leakage where you have a small hole somewhere in your spinal area that is in fact leaking spinal fluid in turn causing headaches, but this wouldn't cause you to have the headache when you have a BM, but having a LOW LEVEL of Spinal Fluid would I think cause the headache to get more severe with a BM cause 100% of ALL people I have spoke with regarding this issue have kept a small,but tolerable headache,it just gets worse with the strain..so just keep in mind what I have told you about getting IV FLUIDS FIRST!! If your having the issues that I have hit upon here.God Bless and Best of Luck with your life. R.Wade & Ginger K. Johnson II, Eastman, Georgia..If I can help you in any way in this matter Please feel free to give me a call,Or if you have any info you may be able to give me on this to help other's in the future Please feel free to call me at my home..Thanks  478-892-3288
If you get this ANY TIME SOON PLEASE call me at my home..my name is Wade and I would REALLY love to tlk to you regarding this issue.My number is 478-892-3288. Thank You R.Wade & Ginger K. Johnson II. Eastman, Georgia 31023
I am hypoglycemic, which is directly related to my depression.  I take antidepressant.  Anyone taking antidepressant, dehydration is the most common side effect.  If one lives with depression, no matter the intensity, a need for carbohydrates is a natural compulsion.  The carbs' give quick flashes of energy to synaptic connections in the brain, but not long enough to sustain balance for long.  Carbohydrates create a need for hydration.  Many people confuse dehydration with hunger.  Thus,  the bowel easily becomes dry.  This isn't a pleasant topic, but one that I'm glad is being addressed in open forum.  When the bowel is dehydrated, it doesn't render all the waste matter when one thinks they've emptied their bowels.  The toxins build after a time.  The ocular nerves are usually the first to be affected by the bowel toxicity, and soon, a migraine level headache ensues. Once clearing the bowel, the toxins that have built up still need to circulate out of the system.  In conjunction with aforementioned effects caused by hypoglycemia, and depression, this process has taken me as long as 14 hours.  If you are someone who is in a similar cross-cut of symptoms, it's likely, (as it is with me), that you may not smoke, nor consume alcohol, but have a troubling Pepsi, Coke, or Barq's habit.  This can be minimized by weening yourself from the added insulin you produce to combat the consumption.  You may not eliminate it entirely.  Hypoglycemia is a brain chemistry imbalance.  The brain is 'happy' when it's 'swimming' in carbs, and proteins.  We know what can happen if we allow this to get out of control.  In my case, possibly someone reading this,  one is walking a balancing act not too dissimilar of that of a diabetic.  If you are constantly getting bowel migraines, are overweight, plagued with insomnia, pencil yourself the next couple years in- to learn about the cause and effect of your symptoms to get them under control.   In the meantime. I've found it easier to simply tell someone; "I've got a migraine", rather than explain all of this.  If someone doesn't have these symptoms, they often aren't sympathetic, and will often describe you as hypochondriac, or telling them a yarn. Give yourself a break.  Take control of your health, and understand why you do the things you do, then you can change them for the better.
hey you idiots(no mean to insult)
DONT BE STUBBORN GET A STOOL SOFTENER
having diahrea is fun in comparison to the lumps i drop
even on stool softeners i can't even get diahrea(enlarged colon from ignoring hemorrhoids and being an anal retentive idiot)
i just had some TERRIBLE dizziness i thought i was going to have a seizure( note i might of had one one day when i was still doing drugs)
i had been ignoring the problem and not taking softeners either
now one night i was straining and felt a shooting pain go through the side of my head
guess what my mom laughed too
i thought i was gonna have a damn aneurysm
now the side of my head feels odd and tingly(scalp issues) WTF IS GOING ON
i can't get help(can't afford it)
but im afraid im gonna die one day from this crap(lol how ironic isn't it)
i also got a brand new bird(does the itching in my face come from this or the horrible disorientation and headaches from the straining)
i thought i was gonna die one day and wrote a goddamn last will and testament
someone help me i don't want to become another elvis and i can't afford any treatment at the moment
once again the thing that is unique compared to you guys is that i don't have normal bowel movements just a similiar condition
these tension headaches are a *****( a disorientating ***** that wants to steal my soul)
i have a tight scalp now without too much feeling in it only itching(what is this? what is going on why this has never happened before)
my sinus' also feel a little off
no ringing in ears but sometimes i have ear pain(not too extreme)
the way you guys describe the headaches sounds alot more extreme though
mine are mostly just a little pain with alot of disorientation mixed with nausea.
i can't deal anymore i feel like i could drop dead the next time i go to sleep or take a dump

Magnesium is helpful for those that have many of the issues u describe.

Not all with this painful release of waste is due to  the same reasons and stool softeners help some, but those with other medical conditions like Chiari malformation may still suffer with HA's ...

I would encourage u to see a Dr, and get some blood panels done to see what supplements u may need and what dosage.

The fact u admitted to doing drugs, this robs ur body of essential nutrients and with out them it does not work properly.

Do go to find out what u can take to help lessen some of the symptoms u have...stool softeners is one way to go, but it is like putting a band aid on a broken arm.
Exertion while having a bowel movement can not only elevate blood pressure and change blood flow, both of which might cause headaches, but can also cause damage to the vagus nerve, That might happen if the exertion causes movement or pressure against the nerve which over excites its neurons or damages its sheathing. Damage to nerve sheathing and neurons can cause referred pain, where the site at which pain is felt is different from the site at which we perceive it. Damage to nerve sheathing can take a long time to heal, depending on general health, the absence or presence of re injury, etc.

We should be attentive to the possibility of this kind of damage when we have long term pain and headache after an initial incident. Extended periods of recovery may only indicate a normal healing process. And we must avoid re injury in these cases. Stool softeners, lots of water, high fiber diet, and other nutritional support to avoid reinjury and aid nerve health may be very important.
I have had the identical symptoms. Short-term severe migraine-like headaches (feels like it starts from neck and spreading upwards) occur before and during BMs, then I get some relief.  If I sit still in an upright position, they get much better-- as soon as 15 minutes.  These headaches also can occur when I first get out of bed in the AM, and when I exert myself in outdoor exercise. MDs cannot explain or prevent or effectively treat.

I have discovered that they get worse if I am just a bit dehydrated. Headaches are much less severe when I drink a lot of water prior to bedtime (but of course I will get up during night to urinate, well worth the trade-off).

One theory is vagus nerve over-stimulation through rectal connection (aggravated by dehydration, and perhaps also by spinal degeneration or other systemic nerve problems) .
Any of you take the over-the-counter nasal spray (with oxymetazoline HCL)?  An hypothesis exists that this substance demylinates nerves (like the vagus nerve).    I have quit this medication recently after the pre-BM headaches got really bad and the symptoms have been gradually subsiding.
Got a similar(if not the same) problem, with slight differences, I see some kind of lights for about 15 - 30 minutes, with dizziness sometimes included, then the sight problem transforms into a very severe headache that feels like my head(on the right hand side, above the eye) is gonna explode. During the headache, my veins seems to swell(only the ones on the head) and then I feel like vomitting. I have a strong feeling that my problem is somehow related to conditions relating with bile. Gastric antacids somehow relieves me. Asprin doesn't seem to have a possitive effect
Wow.  I actually got teary reading these posts because I realized how many of us are experiencing this frightening, unpredictable, debilitating pain.  The descriptions of the pain are identical to mine: the sudden blow to the back of the head, the searing pain that throbs in rhythm to you heartbeat, the profuse nausea, cold sweats and dizziness -- and the terror associated with using the bathroom.  

I am 48 years old, have suffered from migraines since my 20's, and had my first one of these headaches 3 days ago.  This was no ordinary migraine -- it lasted almost 12 hours and was just as painful as all of you described.  My second of these was 2 days ago.  Both while on vacation. The first day I took my  migraine medication (imitrex) and tried 4 doses before it finally eased up -- almost as quickly as it began.  The second last about 2 hours -- after I uses Excedrin migraine and slathered my neck, shoulders, temples and forehead with Bengay.

That has been my only saving grace: Bengay, Excedrin Migraine, and ice packs (one on the neck and one on the top of the head).

I am hoping one of us can get a doctor to find not only the cause, but the preventative.

Thanks, everyone.  I feel a little less alone.
I just had the "hard bowel movement leads to headache" episode about 30 minutes ago.  Right after the last "push", I felt a sharp, quick pain in my chest (didn't feel like my heart), and my head felt like it was going to burst.

I prayed quite intensely for about 5 minutes, and when the pain eased up enough for me to get off the commode, I stretched out on the couch for another 5 minutes (still praying).

Since I'm 62 with no insurance (and home alone since my roommate is away), my only hope was to find something on the internet.  To say the least, I'm shocked -- and grateful -- to find so much info, especially yours dated just last month. And when you're in pain, this amount of feedback is definitely not TMI!

As soon as my roomie gets home, we'll decide on the next step.  As I write this, I'm feeling no pain -- Thank God!
Im 40 yrs old and just got this headache after going to the bathroom as well. I to feel like I was going to die. Took some medication and closed my eyes for three days!!  Just happened again so I thought I would look it up. Found these post and will be calling the doctor first thing in the morning. Had 5 spinal surgeries and this was the worst pain ever.
Well I guess I am not CRAZY. I also get excruciating pressure and pain during BMs, not every single time but quite often. Today I thought I was going to pass out. My dr. Can not seem to tell me what's wrong with me.
I could really use some help.

Hi mccrrob and Daniles66....I too have had this issue and found it to be linked with a condition Chiari Malformation as I had an obstruction of CSF...there are other reasons u may have an obstruction to the fluid, it could be bulging disks, or scar tissue from a previous surgery...best to go to a Dr for testing or a MRI...a CINE MRI will show the flow in real time to see if and where the obstruction is...I hope that helps : )
Did anyone find out what this is?  I went to my doc and they found a PFO "aka hole in the heart".  Apparently, it is found in about 25% of adults and the adult does not know until they start showing symptoms.  The pressure that rushes to your head when you poop is one if them b/c it is causing pressure changes that are going through that hole and straight to your head.... Which btw, there should be no hole and no blood flow going from that side of your heart to the other.  Just something to get chkd out.  Surgery is usually needed to fix it if it is big enough.
Let me clarify .... The 25% is just a statistic .... Stats change and it is based on the adult population now or so I am told.  The hole is something we are all born with but it is suppose to close after birth, but in some cares it just never does.  Also, it is not the actually pushing part that is the problem, it is the release .....that is the pressure change
this just happened to me too, I was straning and I got a headache at the same time more towards the right side of my head.
I am having the same problem everytime i have a BM. Like all of you, i have been poked, scanned, and studied only to find out there isnt anything wrong with me. Clearly something is, and i seek out more and more doctors trying to find something to make my headaches go away. I have become two things i have never been before, depressed and anxious. Im scared to poop, scared to eat, and scared to live the rest of my life like this. Im not even 30 yet, and as a male, i dont think this can be chaulked up as women problems, or getting old problems. Im not in perfect shape, but im not in bad shape by any means. When this started for me i was eating more junk than substance, and fear i may have done some damage as a result. Meds dont work, diet hasnt worked, im desperate.

I can except that this may just be something i have to deal with, but i really would like some advice on ways to cope. Some of you sound like this is something you have had for years. I have never had headaches before and this is all so new to me. Ive tried some things, some im not proud of, like taking a bucket in the shower with me. Sad to say but that is about the only thing that has kinda worked. Ive been reading up on this for a couple weeks now and i have heard a lot of different things. Mine is not a tension headache, a migraine, or cluster headaches. The vagal nerve may be a possibility still, as well as colitis. If there is anyone out there who can suggest something different i would love some insight or ways of coping. Thank you

Matt
Have any of you been tested for diseases like Celiac? I have Celiac and I would get intense headaches and fever when I would go to the bathroom. I was diagnosed with Celiac 8 years ago and I just started having these again so I am pretty sure I have come into contact with gluten (the protein you must avoid if you have Celiac). This is often a sign for me when I get glutened, as we call it. The pain stems from the degradation of the intestines. But tests like CT scans, Ultrasounds and MRIs cannot detect Celiac. You need a blood test and a biopsy. The symptoms of Celiac are so diverse that my doc was not surprised when I mentioned I was having this pain as well, said it could indicate it. And like most of you, I was not straining. I get the connection between straining and the headache, but this, as you all can attest, is definitely not that. I would also ask what meds you might be on? I also had this creep back up when I was taking Nasonex (other things would trigger headaches as well when I was on that, like standing up, bending over, looking at lights, etc.) and Symbicort. Both of those meds cause headaches and what triggers those headaches could be anything small or simple. I would suggest asking different questions and poking for different, less obvious causes, like Celiac or your meds. Good luck!
smoke weed this helps me
i also suffer from daily head pain from any type of BM and smoking this when the pain comes knocks it out for me in a bout 10 seconds
has anyone having these problems had any type of injury to your back?? just curious.. I fell down the steps a few months back and I have suffered from migraines for over 20 years, however, this new symptom has just started the last 5 weeks. any information would be helpful.
thank you
I had this happen just recently and was in the hospital for 4 days. Had all the tests run, CTUm CTA, MRI, lumbar puncture before they decided it was THUNDERCLAP MIGRAINES. I have an appt with a doctor next week and am hoping that he can find a reason for the headaches. It happens when I go to the bathroom or stand up too fast. I think it has a lot to do with my hormones too.
Just happened to me, a loose bm and my head exploded. thought i had burst a blood vessel . wife dosent belive me how painfull it is thought i was going to die untill i googled it and met you lott.
I really thought I was going crazy. At first I typed migraine with diarrhea, nothing, then severe headache diarrhea, nothing. Finally I have found you all. I have been going through this about once a week for the last three weeks. I had one time before months ago, but this time it has happened more. I have had it with both loose bm and constipated Bms, so I think it must have to do with any straining at all. The headaches come on so fast, and are so intense I sweat throw up and cry. I have had a lingering headache since the first one a couple weeks ago. I actually had two in one night also. The first one was not as long lasting as the second, and not quite as intense. But it was made worse by the fact that I was traveling. I have had loose bm's on and off for a long time since I went through Chemo and radiation 11 years ago. I really thought the last time I had one that I was going to die. If anyone ever figures this out (my doc can't) please let me know. It is very scary
I know this post is old, but this happens to me all the time. Well three times now, and I get extremely hot on the outside but freezing on the inside. Have you found anything out yet?

Hi,....I also had this issue but I was DX'd with Chiari Malformation and with strain comes pain....not all that experience this type of exertion pain have Chiari....but should get to a Dr for testing...a MRI may be a good place to start of the cervical spine....

I have been experiencing this exploding head throbbing and pain and I am going to see a neurologist in a few days, but I found something that seems to be working for me. Sort of acupressure:  I spread both hands on each side of my face, placing little fingers into the tear duct area, fourth fingers on the eyebrow areas above nose where they start and the thumbs at the back part of the jaws. Absolutely no pain with the bm and with holding breath or straining. I have a feeling it may have something to do with the sinuses, but whatever works and this is so simple. Please try and I truly hope it helps you.
Hi, I've never blogged before, but wanted to try and help.  I found the severe pain related to bowel strain was from the way I kept my head when I slept.  I tend to put my chin down to my chest, as I sleep on my side.  I found that when having a BM, if I kept my chin on my chest, I didn't get the pain.  Also, if the pain starts, start another push.  But, to get rid of the incidents, I started exercising my neck when I get up. Just simple  4 times to the left and right, 4 times to the front and back, and 4 swirls to the left and then 4 swirls to the right.  Somedays I have to do it twice if I slept with my head propped on 2 pillows. This has taken it away for me.    Also, when I look down all day at something (like reading), it would occur.  I r!eally hope it works for somebody else!
Listen up. If you do not want have to push or strain at all, then you need to drink a full glass of water with 3 heaping teaspoons of Metamucil mixed in. Do this at least once (or even twice a day). If you do this, the feces will come out very easy with no pushing or straining. This should avoid the headaches. You also need to make a "pact" with yourself never to push hard or even moderately.  If it doesn't come out with a little push, then forget about having a bowel movement at that time, and take a laxative or Metamucil. Once it takes affect, you will be hurrying to the bathroom, you will sit down on toilet, and it will come out very easy with pushing at all. As for the headaches, I stupidly did not adhere to my "pact" to never strain. The other day, I made an exception and kept pushing really hard because it was half in and half out (it had reached my rectum from the bowel, which is the point of no return and I felt like I had no choice. Now I have been having bad pulsating headaches for several days.  I am seeing my doctor in 2 days and asking him if he thinks he should do an MRI and if nothing bad shows up, ask him if it will resolve on its own.
I am going to set an appointment with my doctor. But I will try your advice too. Thanks.
I am really suffering with my BM with extreme head pain and have had this problem for the last 16 years i am now 31
The first time i had gotten the extreme headpain i was in school and had to be taken home and it didn't stop for 2 weeks
MRI scans showed nothing and was considered i was putting it on for attention
But during the course of my life i was a normal kid finding out new things and smoking was one of them
Smoking Solids (pot) as a teen was great and had no further problems with my head pain but didn't realize this at the time that Pot was working and stopping my head pains and when i was 22 i found this out!
Was having a normal day and need to have a BM and BOOM BOOM BOOM my head exploded and i was pacing around and i picked up a spliff and to my relief my head pain stopped almost instantly  

I do not know why i get these extreme head pains from having a BM (almost everyday now) but i do know that cannabis is the best medicine i have found for curing my extreme head pain and is also good for stomach cramps too

The best way to smoke cannabis is to vaporize it but rolling it with your normal cigarette's does the job too

I hope this information is useful too you and helps you with any of your pains

Legalize Cannabis NOW!!! The best natural product known to man for treating and curing many illnesses and diseases

Cannabis Oil Can Cure Cancer  

These type of headaches are usually associated with chiari malformation, IIH, dural sinus stenosis, subdural bleeding, brain aneurysm, brain tumor etc. A MRI should be obtained and can rule all these out.

If the MRI looks normal then the following three meds should be tried: propranolol, indomethacin, diamox.

One of these three will work.

Good luck!
Carcinoid syndrome.- ask your doctor to give you a urine 5h1aa test
carcinoid syndrome
I to have had it for 20 yrs now and I don't strain, was hospitalized looking for an anyurism yrs back but no conclusion. I was reading the thread and wondered if you had any more conclusions  from anyone on this issue?
I was told to take fiber after finding diverticulitis but the fiber made the abdominal pain worse for me and the worse i got the dr would say take more so i would. After realizing the coalation i stopped taking it and felt better right away the next day as far at the abd. pain but I still have the issue of these attacks for 20 yrs now and am still trying to pinpoint why they happen to me. I don't strain at all after 20 yrs of this with no satisfactory help from Dr.'s. Was wondering if you've heard of anything new as far as conclusions for anyone with this, have been reading the thread trying to find similarities.
I to have had the same issue for over 20 yrs and wondered if you have read of any more help or conclusions with this thread.
was wondering how you know that ' it happens when my liver gets overwhelmed and starts dumping bile'?? I had thought it was too much acid in my system and live on prilosec (zantac doesn't cut it) cuz it happened with 8 bowel movements in one day and they seemed acidy cuz i was burning. Any new results, I have been doing this for 20 yrs now and still searching.
Was wondering if the Diamox was still helping? Any more flair ups? I have had this for 20 yrs now, still searching.
I to have suffered with this for 20 yrs and was wondering if you are still having symptoms or have heard of any other results or conclusions? still searching for help thanks
I was checking to see if this has still been happening and if you have had any results or conclusions. I have been doing this for 20 yrs now with no conclusions and am still searching and comparing. I have had neck and head injuries and wondered if the pinched nerves or such were part of the issue also. I take muscle relaxers and it helps to get rid of the headache but they still come back.
I saw a neurosurgeon who said i have a bone spur in my neck and wanted to do the surgery and put in a metal one or give me shots in the neck and try that for the pain than he retired. You seem to sound the most similar to me so far as  having neck and head issues to start with. I was catapulted and fell 3 stories, had a baseball bat to the head, and father beat up my face so have been thinking it was the injuries.
I to have been doing this for 20 yrs. I don't drink as much water as i should either and have put this on my list of things to watch. was wondering if others had head and neck injuries. I seem to think mine have a coalation with this but am still researching. Have you had any other conclusions or results?
I to have been doing this for 20 yrs. I have been taking a muscle relaxer for neck tightness and pain for the past year or two on and off. Lately if i stop taking them i regret it because these migraines come back. was wondering how you are doing and if you have had any new results or conclusions?
another similarity is heart arrhythmias, i have those also all the time every day but never have noticed them flaring when i have a BM migraine. Will pay attention to it though. And I only hold my breath when the pain kicks in breathing practices didn't help with me.
mine started after the birth of my second child (not immediately, a yr or two i think) and he's 21 this yr.
yes mine are so strong that i get the twitching almost looks like i am ducking and  that coincides with my heartbeat and the pain like someone is in there with a brick trying to smash their way out and they have lit the back of my head and neck on fire, I use 2 large ices bags one for the back of my neck and one for the top of my head, than i take 1 flexeril, 2 tramadol, and 3 ibuprofen, if that doesn't completely work i take a valium, hate pills but have no choice at this point. I am going on week 3 longest it has lasted in a long time.
Try smoking or eating some cannabis
Hey Ive just experienced what you went through while taking a BM. I just got released from the hospital still having pains for the BM without any explination why. They did CT scans. MRIs, and even lumbar punctures and all still came up negative. Now home Im wondering what the hell this is and is there anything possible to reduce these "attacks"

-Aaron