Migraines & Headaches Community
lumbar puncture 3 months after event?

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

lumbar puncture 3 months after event?

Hi please reply. Can a lumber puncture still show results after 3 months delay? In November I was admited to hospital with suspected meningitus as I had a rash, swollen face, violently sick, photophobia and sleepy. I honestly thought my head was going to explode. After 5 days was allowed home if I had 24 hours care at my parents home. For some reason my lumbar puncture was not performed as a doctor cancelled it. After seeing my neuro she said I could have one now to see if it was encephalitus or not. Ive heard lots of stories and wonder if its worth it. I now have to wear sunglasses as my eye pain is still terrible and have a weakness down my left side of my body yet the neuro thinks it may have been a migraine. I sleep 15 hours a day and want to be back to normal desperately.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

It is still possible to get results at this time considering that you are still symptomatic. If encephalitis is being suspected, a cranial CT scan prior to performing the lumbar tap may be able to ascertain if any increase in intracranial pressure is present. This will guide your physician in performing the procedure.You may discuss with your physician the reasons why the lumbar tap was deferred initially. Was the overlying epidura (external coating of the spinal cord ) thought to be infected? Any skin infections ( which I think in your case was a rash?)?Do you still have a rash right now?

The spinal fluid may be analyzed further to determine the presence of any infections.There are more advanced techniques present right now ( PCR and DNA analysis) which may determine other causes of infection such as a virus.
Thank you for replying. I did have a CT scan in hospital as they were checking the sinus. It came back ok but the neuro is going to look at it again. The lumbar puncture was deferred as I saw 5 different doctors in hospital and one thought it may have been an allergic reaction but im not convinced of that. I dont have a rash anymore but around my eyes are sort of scared blue with broken veins. A virus was another doctors diagnosis. I have had polarised lenses made as the light still really hurts my right eye. I did have hemorage in my eyes and they have cleared up but think that was from being sick. I have gone from a healthy fitnes instructor working  full time and teaching to sleeping 15 hours a day. The neuro has referred me to a chronic fatigue clinic but surely I would have had symptons prior to this happening to me in November? I do now have balance problems tinitus is both ears now my mother has minieres disease so im thinking could that be a factor? I am receiving physio for my left sided weakness and the physio says i have intermitant nerves so thats why i shake. Im taking 80mg Propranolol twice a day but dont have a diagnosis yet. Thanks again for replying
Sorry forgot to mention I am going to have an EEG as I have had 3 nocturnal type seizures where I have been incontinant. I bite my tongue requently during the night and my right side is twisted when I wake. I still have a constant headache every day so take far too mant painkillers for my liking. Im desperate to return to work and some normality but I dont seem to be getting anywhere.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Your neurologists may be thinking that an underlying infection involving the central nevous sysem (brain and spinal cord) may be involved here. A lumbar tap will define the diagnosis and guide management of your condition.At this point,it seems that your symptoms are being managed separately. A lumbar tap may help reach a diagnosis that may explain all these symptoms .
Thank you for your reply. The doctors dont think its ms or motor neuron something? My neuro is referring me to another neuro as she cant find anything major im starting to think its all in my mind. Are they thinking its ME as im going to a chronic fatigue clinic in the next few weeks. Surely ME doesnt happen over night?
Thank you for your help. Im going to have a lumbar puncture in the next week or so just waiting for an appointment. I am having an EEG but it says I am to be sleep deprived but I find it very difficult to stay awake sleeping 16 hours and as im not allowed any caffine I dont know how I will do this and there has been no literature to help me. Do you have any suggestions? Will just sleeping a bit less make any difference are does it have to be hours? One doctor has mentioned my current headaches may be caused by something vascular? So is that why im on beta blockers? I know how busy you are so thank you if you manage to help answer.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Let us wait for the results of the lumbar puncture as the results may help explain most of your conditions.As with the EEG, yes, it is best to follow your physician's advice as taking a few hours of sleep may alter EEG results.Sleep deprivation is used to provoke a seizure that may be captured and noted during EEG testing.

As for the vascular problem,was a CT scan or MRI done? A prior CT scan before the lumbar puncture may be able to help.An underlying bleed or vascular spasm may be readily noted using an enhanced CT or MRI scan.Were you assessed along this line?

I understand you are highly anxious about this.

Let us take this one step at a time and see what future tests may show.