Migraines & Headaches Community
meningitis

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

meningitis

HI! im 16 and 2 nights ago i had been diagnosed with viral meningitis. my symptoms were BAD headaches neck pain ETC....i had to get a lumbar puncture as one of the tests. yesterday my lower back was VERY sore as im guessing side effects from the needles on that part of my back my now today that pain has gone and now its on my right upper back and no position lying down or standing will make the irritating pain go away. as well as this i'v had the on going headache!  does anyone no why the upper part of my back is hurting? thankyoux
You could have the backache due to the lumbar punture you have had. Also the headche could be due to the meningitis or the lumbar punture. What you need to do is drink 2-3 cups of tea or coffee for a couple of days, drink plenty of fluids approx 2 to 2.5 lts per day mostly milk , water and juices, try to avoid moving or working a lot, get adequate sleep and rest, keep lying down in your bed if possible and take some OTC painkillers. The headache and backache should go away in 5 -7 days. You could try local application of diclofenac gel to the area and see if that helps.