Migraines & Headaches Community
migraines and left hand numbness

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

migraines and left hand numbness

I'm 41, and I've had migraines all my life (7 years old or so). Few months ago I started to feel some numbness in my left hand and arm.  It seems kind of like a wave coming down from my shoulder or upper part of my arm. I feel it especially in my forearm and tip of fingers.

I just read in an answer to a post about Multiple Sclerosis that a person with migraines for a long time is expected to have some tiny brain lesions with age (40+).

Should I worry about my numbness? Is this a "normal" consequence of my long-term migraines? Should I do a MRI?

I'm a bit scared about this,  

Any suggestion very much appreciated!!
Avatar dr f tn
How are you? One subtype of migraine headache is called hemiplegic migraine which also presents with a pins-and-needles feeling (often moving from the hand to the arm); numbness on one side of the body ( such as the arm, leg, and/or one side of the face); weakness or paralysis on one side of the body; slurred speech; or loss of balance and coordination. This type of migraine is said to be genetic in nature. Check with your neurologist  to rule this out. Imaging studies such as MRI may also be indicated especially if your last test was long way back. Take care and do keep us posted.  
Dear Dr. Santos,

thanks so much for responding my question.  I do not associate the numbness with the migraine.  I feel the pins-and-needles in my lert arm and fingers any time. Maybe specially when I'm sitting. Also, I have had these type of migraines since I was a child, but the numbness appeared last year. Does this information rule out hemiplegic migraine? What I would like to rule out - which scares me a lot - is the possibility of it being Multiple Sclerosis, or another neurological or cardiovascular disease.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer my question again.

Fernando