migraines and numbness
I am a 33 year old female who has had migraines since I was six. I was initially brought to my pediatrician who did numerous tests including a CT scan and EEG (?) and it was concluded that I suffered migraines. Typically when I was a child the migraines happened about once or twice a month and always happened when I was sleeping to where I would wake up with the migraine, have severe nausea and vomiting until mid morning and then I'd be fine. When I reached puberty, it slacked off a bit and around the age of 15 or so I started experiencing an aura beforehand. Usually it would be a silvery, vision blur in one eye and then the migraine would start a few minutes later. As I got even older, I started experiencing numbness, usually in my hand or arm on one side that would progress into other parts of my body on that side and then I would have trouble talking and after that passed the migraine would hit. The numbness doesn't happen every time I get a migraine but the past few years it has preceded it. I went to a neurologist several years ago and they didn't do any type of testing or anything but seemed hesitant at first to prescribe me anything for it due to the "neurological" issues I was having. They finally prescribed my Imitrex but as the migraines started to become less frequent, I never had an opportunity to try it. About two years ago I experienced another bad migraine with the numbness and aura and saw a new doctor as I had moved. He also didn't do any testing and gave me samples of a few medications to try and didn't seem concerned about any of my symptoms. So far in the past 3 years or so I've only had about 3 migraines with the numbness and aura but last week I did have one. The numbness/tingling started in my left pinky finger and slowly went from one finger to the next and then eventually into my hand, arm and finally my face on that same side. I took some Aleve (it was all I had) and immediately went back to bed and thankfully missed the migraine but the numbness concerns me. It didn't affect my speech as I went straight to bed but is this something I should seek out another opinion over?
Hi eme,

I have migraines as well and have been told they were the cause for a lot of neurological symptoms I was having. Thins like balance problems, swallowing difficulty at times, dizziness, numbness of my tongue, tingling all over, a buzzing feeling in my chest, etc..

At first I thought it was crazy that migraines could cause all of this, but Im starting to hear from others who have had a similar experience.

It sounds like what are going through is more of the same thing youve had in the past. If it were me, i would probably just watch and see what happened. If it keeps ocurring, set up an office visit. Our docs are there for us when we need them.

Hope the numbness stays away.
I been having headaches for the pass 20 years but 6 months ago I went to ER bc i was having Headaches, Numbness, lots of pressure, tingling on arm and leg, blurred vision, nausea, shortness of breath,  all on just the right side of my body. In the pass 6 months i been in the hospital 3 times. They done MRI's with and without contrast, MRA, CT scan, many blood test, they did Spinal MRI to check pinch nerve, they did neck x-ray, they did Lumbar puncture, first 2 mri's results were "Empty Cella" Doctor said, nothing to be alarmed, everything else was clear, they referred me to a Neurology and said could be possible "Pseudotumor Celebri, Lupus or MS" but my neurology says Its just a complicated Migraine. Im drinking Topomax, Verapamil, Sumatriptan, Hydrocodone and Fioricet every but still having my good days and my bad days. Not having too much pain but still having the Numbness, tingling, blurred vision and nausea.
You might be interested in this article:
http://www.livingwithout.com/issues/1_11/untreated_gluten_sensitivity-1800-1.html?ET=livingwithout:p76216:206235a:&st=pmail&s=P_TuesdayTip100212&t=B_TL_P