Migraines & Headaches Community
morning migraines

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

morning migraines

Hello
I have been diagnosed a few mnths ago with chronic migraine, I have some control at this point but I still wake up every morning with a blunt headache. Anyone else have similar expierience with wakeing with headaches?
thanks
Antony
hi antony thats a main symptom of migraine.so dont worry.i think u have to start medicine again. along with that dont take coffee,tea, red meat ,all milk products,wine,sweet .immediately start tab flunarizine 5mg BD for two weeks  for best response.take plenty of sleep...do  some aerobic exercises regularly for 20 min.....
dr.kiran
if you have chronic migraine, waking up with pain is going to be part of the deal. It's nothing to worry about, although it does stink.

However, I'm going to disagree with Dr. Kiran in that caffeine in such things as tea and coffee ~can~ help the migraines, IN SOME PEOPLE. It really depends on the person, as with all sensitivities. I drink coffee every morning because it actually helps my migraines.

I would keep a food diary and see what foods increase the pain, and then avoid those. No need to deprive yourself of something that, for you, is perfectly harmless.

I hope that you find this group helpful and supporting,

~Dame
thanks for the responses! I agree with u dame coffee helps my migraine too! After a cup in the morning my migraine gets much less! But thanks Dr Kiran I know alot of people are sensitive to caffiene. I have recently have had extensive blood allergy test's im working with a "fuctional neurologist" I found im allergic to all dairy , gluten , shell fish started a gluten free  dairy free diet about a week ago we will see how it goes!
I read in a professional journal recently (can't remember which one at the moment) that some migraines begin around the time that adrenelin levels start to rise about 4:00 A.M.  If I can find that reference I'll let you know here.
aj,

The following is in response to your info request and it is from the National Headache Foundation:

Early Morning Awakening Headache
Cluster, migraine and tension-type headaches may produce a headache that awakens an individual in the early morning hours (usually after 4 AM), or is present upon awakening. Those individuals with chronic tension-type headache are most likely to be awakened in the early morning hours due to headache. This headache also tends to be at its worst severity at that time of day. A variety of causes may account for this early-morning pattern to the headaches.

Depression is most often associated with chronic tension-type headaches. Additionally, withdrawal effects from pain medications, ergots and caffeine often produce this pattern. Several important physiological changes that occur during these early morning hours can influence migraine and tension-type headache, as well as symptoms other than headache.

Between about 4 AM and 8 AM, the body tends to produce less of its natural painkillers, the endorphins and enkephalins, than at other times of the day. Adrenalin is released in larger quantities during the early morning hours. Since adrenalin affects blood pressure and the regulation of dilation or contraction of the blood vessels, it may play a role in migraine attacks.

Rarely, serious diseases may cause early morning awakening headaches. These diseases may include brain tumors, sleep apnea, and severe high blood pressure.