mri of the brain
hi, i had a brain mri recently with and without contrast and i was wondering if someone can help me understand what the results mean, i have an appointment with my neurologist but it isn't until next week and i feel like i'm going crazy not knowing exactly whats going on. The results say mild hydrocephalus,unchanged from prior study and then it says there is a 5mm focus of increased signal seen in the periventricular white matter of the right lower frontal lobe which appears unchanged without enhancement. this finding is nonspecific. differential diagnosis includes chronic small vessel ischemia,vasculitis,white matter focus related to migraine headaches as well as early lesions of ms. What does this mean ? How can i know which is more likely before going?i am 23 and about 40 lbs overweight if it matters
Since they saw hydrocephalus on a prior study, did they do nothing previosly to treat this or did they feel it was not enough to be significant?  (See private message for more info on hydrocephalus.)  

The radiologist is unsure of what the other finding means, so suggests all possibilities in their mind.  Your neurologist needs to thoroughly evaluate your symptoms and possibly do further testing to try to differentiate which one of the radiologist's suggestions might be what you truly have to give you a proper diagnosis.

Chronic small vessel ischemia is where very small blood vessels are showing signs of lack of oxygen.  You say you're overweight, but do you have high bad cholesterol or triglycerides which could clog blood vessels and cause plaque formation in blood vessels, leading to ischemia?  If so, have you taken any steps to lower these?  Do you have high blood pressure?

Vasculitis is when an inflammatory process goes on in blood vessels.

Migraines- typically intense one sided headaches that might cause you to be nauseated and may cause sensitivity to light and sounds, etc..  Do you suffer frome these severe headaches?

MS is an abbreviation for multiple sclerosis, which can have a number of symptoms.  If the dr. suspects this, he/she may order additional testing to rule out or confirm.
thank u for replying , they didn't do anything for hydrocephalus they didn't think it necessary, i am overweight ( i started  diet and exercise so i am trying ) but don't have high blood pressure or any of the above, i do have severe headaches that was the reason for my first mri i suffer from chronic headaches and i do get nauseous and dizzy sometimes thank u so much for answering
I hope you are now seeing a different neurologist for a second opinion, because headaches followed by throwing up and nausea as well can all be symptom of hydrocephalus, a very serious problem.