Aa
A
A
Close
oral re-hydration salts
hi,

i have used oral re-hydration salts whenever i have Migraines & Headaches. it works effectively most of the times.
i am just wondering is there any side effects of these salts if i'm using it for the long run?
Cancel
5 Answers
Page 1 of 1
I have never heard of those. What are they and how do they work? Where do you get them?
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
it is a mixture of salts in powder form to be mix in water. it is most commonly used to replace body fluid for diarrhea patients.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
2017859 tn?1331102001
I should try that, after a long migraine I'm soooooo thirsty.  If I have Gatorade or something similar It quenches that thirst more quickly from the electrolights (spelling?).  However I usually don't and I'm in no mood to go shopping so I drink what seems like an ocean of water, juice, tea, ect.  I can't imagine that long term use of a salt packet would be harmful, but I'm not a doctor.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Anyone?
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
I do not know why they would be a problem unless someone had a kidney or other problem that was affected by something such as salt.

I do know that dehydration can bring on a migraine and other headaches.  So, I would think that if someone is dehydrated and excessively thirsty after intense vomiting or diarrhe that the salts would sometimes be beneficial.

I have found that drinking something immediately when I get the sensation that my head is foggy and a migraine might start actually can help lessen a migraine.

I am not a doctor, however.  I would ask your physician, because he knows your health and lab results.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Migraines & Headaches Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488 tn?1310696703
Blank