pain at the base of the head
hi. im 34 y.o. and have suffered from migraine since i was 11 but it had completely stopped for 2 years now. Recently ive been suffering from allergic rhinitis coz it's spring here in Rome. 4 days ago i started having headaches that starts from the base of the head, radiates towards the left ear and then to the forehead. it's a sharp and throbbing pain, lasting 3-10 minutes then goes away- but then suddenly comes back. i noticed that my neck feels heavy and that when i move my head from side to side i feel a little pain. im not nauseous, no auras, no photosensitivity like what i had with migraine. but im very worried coz i never experienced headaches with neck pain before. at times even sneezing starts the pain! If this is a stiff neck headache, is it possible to last a week? I also carry a big, heavy bag everyday to work, but why only now with the neck pain? And I remember last saturday I drank so much whisky and smoked too (something i havent done for 6mos) can they trigger this kind of headache? or this is just cluster headache? ibuprofen doesnt even work well with my headache..HELP!
I think you should get checked to find out if the source of your headache is coming from a pinched nerve or musculoskeletal problem in your neck (perhaps from carrying something heavier than you're used to?), spinal meningitis (can be deadly- important to get ruled out), or Chiari's malformation (MRI would reveal that last one).  I watched a tv special some time back that said everyone with cluster headaches (more common in men) they studied had an abnormally shaped hypothalmus.  If they did a brain MRI, you could ask them to check yours!  

I don't drink or smoke, but I know smoking can constrict blood vessels and high blood pressure can give a migraine and that too much alcohol can cause hangover headache.  Second hand cigarette smoke can give me a migraine.
How are you? Pain at the back of head or neck that iIntensifies on movement may be caused by inflammation of the blood vessels of the head or bony changes in the structures of the neck. The cause of pain is unknown but anti-inflammatory drugs and muscle relaxants may help provide relief. If it persists, you may need to have this checked by your doctor for proper evaluation. Further tests like x-ray of the neck or T scan may be indicated to determine the cause. Take care and regards.
“I’ve had migraine headaches since I was in elementary school. I was going to the doctor four, sometimes five times a month and having to get shots to get rid of these headaches because Ibuprofen, Darvocet, nothing worked to get rid of them. Dr. Cartwright put me on NeuroBoost and when I saw what was in it I thought, well, this won’t work at all, but it couldn’t hurt, so I’ll take them…I haven’t had a headache at all this month.”

Joann Stumberg