painful knots on the back of my head
I am a 46 year old female d/x with Sjogrens.  I have contant headaches and around my cycle they are unbearable.
I have noticed for quite some time now these painful knots on the back of my head on both sides. Some are the size of a large marble, some smaller, one larger. They are hard and painful to touch.
One other time i noticed them when they became painful. I was told by a PC doctor they were probably viral related. But, they have never gone away and my headaches are getting worse.
What could they be from?
thanks for any answer.
FaithfultoHim

I do understand your concern. When you say knots, do you mean bumps?

These painful knots may need further evaluation. They may be enlarged lymph nodes or they may be infected glands. They may be cysts or new growths on the bone or scalp. I would suggest that you have a cranial CT scan done just to see the involvement of these structures. We need to know whether they are of bony or soft tissue in origin.

Has your physician mentioned of doing a scan at this point?
THe knots are hard and at times more tender than at other times.  They seem more tender around my periods. THat is when my body seems to flare which sets off the Sjogrens.  These knots could be glandular related b/c with Sj that is what is being attacked.  
I have an appt with a Neurologist tom. I will ask him about a cranial CT. I recently had an MRI of the neck and throat area because it swells up too, inwardly.
For now I am just trying to find out what can relieve the pain it causes. THe OTC pain-relievers dont seem to do anything.
Thanks for your help.
Faithfultohim