Migraines & Headaches Community
severe headache making hair tender to touch

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

I suffer from severe headaches which make my hair tender to touch, and sometimes causes a numbing sensation on the top right side of my head and an extremely sharp pain in my right ear, which lasts a couple of seconds.Any idea whats causing it, Thanks.
Hi calli3010,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing these extremely sharp pains and tenderness.

Since I am not a doctor, I cannot diagnose your symptoms. I would urge you to consult your doctor about these symptoms if they are of concern to you.

Headaches can be caused by many things. Some headaches are called primary headaches, and in this case the headache is caused by nothing at all and the headache is the disease itself, such as in migraine headaches and cluster headaches. In some cases, headaches may be caused by underlying disease, illness or injury. It is important to go to a doctor so that any underlying disease, illness or injury can be ruled out or treated if necessary. It is also important to go to the doctor for severe or troublesome primary headaches as prescription medications can often provide more effective relief for severe or troublesome primary headaches then over-the-counter medications can.

It is possible that these headaches are making your hair tender to the touch due to a symptom of some headaches that is known as Allodynia. Allodynia can be a symptom of many types of pain (in addition to the primary pain). Allodynia is defined as pain in response to a stimulus that does not normally produce a pain response, such as a light touch or a brush.

As for a list of types of headaches that may fit the symptoms you are describing: it might be an ice-pick headache; it might be an ear infection; it might be a headache related to TMJ; it might be trigeminal neuralgia; it might be some migraine variant. I believe that you would need to go to a doctor though to get a proper diagnosis.

I do hope that you find out what is causing this pain and that you feel better soon. Let us know if you find out what type of headache this is. Keep in touch!

- marilee