Migraines & Headaches Community
severe migraine attacks

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

severe migraine attacks

i have been to the er seven times and whats wrong with me is severe migraine attacks, stiffness in the neck, tightness in the face, dizziness, stumbling, nausea, ringing in the ears, sensitive to light, and no headache medication works over the counter or prescribed and this has been going on for a month also my head will be senseitive to touch in certain areas and a sharp pain above my left eye and around my nose and in my ears
Hi, if you have been diagnosed with migraines and no acute medication is working yet, it may be time to see a neurologist to discuss other medication options such as preventive medications or maybe different acute medications such as Imitrex Injections which often work when all other triptans don't work. Have you seen a neurologist yet? If not, please see a neurologist. If you have seen a neurologist already, can you let us know all of the acute medications you have tried so far?
Welcome to the forum!
With the symptoms you describe there are two things you should rule out. One is compression of cervical spinal nerves and the other is benign intracranial hypertension. With stiffness in neck compression of cervical spinal nerves is a huge possibility. Also meningitis should be ruled out, especially if you have a history of fever in the recent past before these headaches started.
‘Benign intracranial hypertension’ (BIH) happens due to impaired CSF absorption. A generalized throbbing headache worst felt in the morning and last thing at night. This headache is generally relieved on standing (consistent with raised intracranial pressure). It is aggravated by straining, coughing or a change in position. Hypothyroidism, hypoparathyroidism, adrenal insufficiency are a few things I would recommend you get investigated for. These can precipitate BIH. A spinal tap is a must both to diagnose the condition and to treat it.  
You should consult a neurologist for this.
Hope this helps. It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
i have seen a neurologist he gave me prevention medicine but it jst puts me to sleep and i haven't been back does anyone think i should get a MRI to exam my head again
You have been through the loop, now try something natural, which your body will appreciate.
To to get relief from headache/migraine naturally, the full pranayam exercises are described below.
Initially do Anulom Vilom (as much as you can) for the fist few days and then start the full set of pranayam.This works gradually, so allow time (1 week upto 12 weeks) and concentrate fully on the breathing. Avoid cold drinks and drink warm water.

Build up your timing gradually.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after 1 minute.
Kapalbhati -(Do it before eating) Push air forcefully out through the nose about once per second. Stomach will itself go in(contract in). The breathing in(through the nose) will happen automatically. Establish a rhythm and do for upto 15 minutes twice a day. Not for pregnant women. Seriously ill people do it gently.

Anulom Vilom -  Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 20 to 30  minutes twice a day.
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep breaths into the lungs.

Bhramri Pranayam -Close eyes. Close ears with thumb, index finger on forehead, and rest three fingers on base of nose touching eyes. Breathe in through nose. And now breathe out through nose while humming like a bee.
Duration : 5 to 15 times