Migraines & Headaches Community
severe migraines

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

severe migraines

Hi, so im 21 years old, and for the past 7 to 8 years ive been having severe headaches at least 4 times a week, im actually tired of it, is and impossibilitating pain, that for sometime now makes it harder to even move, before i start shaking for some reason; all this plus dizziness, faint episodes and blurry vision occur everytime. The doctor i went to told me to go get an MRI, but i havent done that yet, because another doctor, told me that this is just a migraine and that i have to deal with it, i just want to know if i should go do the MRI or just get through it and pray for it to go? The thing is supposedly migraines affect just one area of the head, in my case whenever i have an episode the pain is all over my head and the tension is also felt around my neck..  the worst is that now the painkillers are not working, so im only left to hang in there and bare the pain as best as i can..... help me please.
Get the MRI so they know it is migraines and not something else.
Then the doc can get to work at giving two types of medications, usually - one is a preventative medication which will work to prevent the migraine in the first place. The second is medication he can give you will work when you get the migraine - and you should start to get less.

There are many migraine medications and you need to work with the doctor.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Migraines usually present with one-sided throbbing headaches with associated nausea, vomiting and sensitivity to light or sounds. As rumpled mentioned, both abortive and preventive medications may be used. Identification of the headache  triggers may also be helpful in avoiding recurrences. It would also help to have the MRI done to rule out any pathological causes. Take care and do keep us posted.
I have just read your comments on your migraines. There are excellent medications available such as Zomig. It is a triptan. Imitrex is another medication one can use. It is another triptan. I hope your insurance plan covers these medications. Excedrine, Advil etc. as you know will not prove effective for a migraine.
You have to keep a very detailed log of everything you eat to help you track what may trigger your migraine. Do not list "sandwich". List, sandwich; type of bread, type of meat, with mayo etc,
You as the "patient" will be the best one to determine how best to fight this war with your migraine. The more knowledge you have the better chance you have to win it. Look up the many many names for msg on the internet. Food manufacturers know that the public shy away from the name msg, so now they use many other names for it on their labels. Msg in any way you call it will cause a migraine for many.

Good Luck,

Al
Migraines can be caused by a variety of physical and environmental factors including diet, stress, allergens, menstruation, and changes in the weather.

Migraine headaches are also one of the leading causes of time missed from work

Natural therapy has effective for the migraines including massage and acupuncture
hi doctor..i am having great problems with my head. what actually happens is,i usually have really torturing headaches(almost daily).it generally starts after about 4 pm.
when i am in college i dont feel it so genuinely but after i return back to home then i start feeling it and it just makes me gone.i just cant tolerate it.so please please help me with this.what must i do???