Migraines & Headaches Community
severe pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

severe pain

I have been experiencing severe pain in the back of my head for about 1 year now.  I usually wake up with the pain, it causes nausea, vomiting, and excruciating pain. It is typically at the base of my skull, where my head meets the spine. I am 37 years old and have never had any type of trauma to this area. I have had mri, mra, cat scan, acupuncture, physical therapy,pain clinics, several nuero's, chiropractor, and not one thing can explain what is going on. I have become very depressed. I just woke up one day with this condition. I am starting to know all the docs in the ER on a first name basis. It is a very deep, achey (achy) pain, and sometimes radiates toward my temples. I have just run out of options and answers. I am taking relpax, prozac, and any pain meds I can get my hands on, which is far and few in between. If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it. I use to be a very upbeat father of two, and now I'm just very depresssed deling with this issue all of the time. Thank you.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Was a carotid ultrasound done to assess blood vessels in the neck?

I do understand how hard this is for you. Other factors have to be considered like a cervicogenic headache. Was a scan of the cervical spine done? Also, thyroid and parathyroid hormone levels have to be assessed .A hormonal imbalance may also cause headaches. Is your blood sugar well controlled? Is there any increase in blood pressure even in the absence of the headache? Were you eyes assessed for errors of refraction?

I suggest that a thorough work up be done. The scans may no show anything but blood tests and a complete physical examination may be needed to help rule out other systemic conditions.