Migraines & Headaches Community
sharp head pain when breathing

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

sharp head pain when breathing

Im a 27 year old woman, im a healthy weight, fairly active. The last 3 days i have had this sharp pain in the back of my head on the right side every time i take a deep breath or if im talking and run out of breath at the end of a sentence and also if i laugh. It is there constantly i keep taking deep breaths just to check if its gone!!!!! the pain is hard to discribe but it reminds me of eating too much ice cream but with a dullness to it, it doesnt last long because when i breath out it disapears. I noticed yesterday evening a buzzing sensation in the top of my head and again now, its very slight but enough for me to be aware its there. i dont know if i should go to my doctor in case its just a tention headach but im a bit worried because 2 of my aunts and one uncle have had brain tumors, my dad has had a stroke and both my grandparents have had a strokes. Is this something i should get checked out or am i just worried over nothing?? my thinking is if it was something serious then it would have happened by now but its going on for 3 days and nothing bad has happened!!!! please can i have some advice
Please try something now, for me and let me know.
1) Deep breathe in and out slowly from left nostril 20 times. Then let me know what you notice in the head  pain.
2) Deep breathe in and out slowly from right nostril only  20 times. Then let me know what you notice in the head  pain.
Then continue with the anulom pranayam and let me know how you feel after 9 days.
Build up your timing gradually.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after one minute.
Anulom Vilom pranayam –
Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 15 to 30  minutes twice a day.
Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.
March 8, 2011
I suffered brain cancer a few years ago and maybe that is a reason why this could be happening to someone. It kind of feels like a sharf knife jerking back and forth in your head when you breathe. Take it calm!

Havana : )