sharp pain headache
My daughter had a cat scan taken at the emergency room the other day because she has been getting very sharp localized head pain that last only for a minute. Her eye has also started to feel sore behind her eye. Almost sound like a bruised type of feeling and when she gets the headache the roof of her mouth also gets cold and some pain. I was told by the ER doctor and my family doctor that because her CT scan was all clear that was good news. They are thinking this may be a form of migrane but I have never heard of a migrane that last a couple of minutes and goes away for a few hours and then comes around again. Is there any doctors out there that have heard of this and have any suggestions.

You daughter’s symptoms are suggestive of ice pick headaches but this needs to be confirmed by a clinical exam. Ice pick headaches are common in people with a primary head pain disorder like migraine. The symptoms include short lasting bouts of sharp stabbing pain which characteristically occur behind the eyes and in the temple region.
These headaches occur several times during the day but do not occur along with migraines. Indomethacin is known to provide relief.

Regards