sharp pain on right side of my head
For the past three days, I have been getting these sharp pains on the right side of my head. The pain is sharp and quick. I have had headaches before, but nothing like this. What should I do?
Thanks for writing to the forum!
Well, migraine, tension headaches, cluster headaches etc should all be looked into. High blood pressure is another possibility. Refractive errors and eye strain also cause headaches. Poor sleep pattern is another cause. Stress and tension can cause tension headaches.
However there are few other possibilities that you should explore.
One is dental ache as in an exposed root canal. This causes shooting unbearable pain radiating to head, neck, shoulder, ear, everywhere in the head and neck region I would say.
A visit to your dentist is a must and should be the first step.
The second possibility is an internal ear pain. Again it is the same as dental pain. Consult an ENT specialist for this.
The third possibility is brain tumor. You would need to consult a neurologist. However I think it is unlikely as you do not have any other neurological symptom. But you never know. Some tumors present first with a headache only.
Hope this helps. It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
what other neurological symptoms would you be referring to here? i to have sharp stabbing pains also have had a constant dull headache and now increasing tightness in my head. I have sinus problems, very blocked up and it never relents, i have been seeing a specialist for loss of control of my bladder which is getting worse, she has sent me for MRI and CT scans which i havent got results from yet i also have a worsening skin issue, welts etc which my other doc says may be granuloma anulare. I feel generally ill and it seems to be getting worse every day, do any of these point towards tumor? i know my body and i know something is wrong, something that my doctors havent said yet. Honey98 hope you feel better soon, i feel your pain (no pun intended!)     thank you
Thanks for writing to the forum!
Loss of bladder control is often associated with skin issues like skin infections, rashes etc. You can read more about this on: http://www.fda.gov/WOMENS/getthefacts/bladderControl.html

Your headache could be more due to sinusitis. Consult a good ENT for this. I was talking about neurological symptoms like vomiting, loss of sensation, nerve pressure symptoms, loss of muscle power etc.
Hope this helps. It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage. You must talk to your physician regarding all these possibilities and maybe you would need to consult an urologist too. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!